best type of boat?

D

dems4me

section8 said:
I know it's coming soon, but are they just new ones? If not we might have to check that out.

I would ditch the idea of getting a big expensive boat so you can do water skiing... (and yes 15K to me is an expensive boat... generally I get mine from ebay for 1400-1500.00 range - nothing that will break the bank and something to get me out on the water. If I were you, I'd start small until you get the feel of it all and work your way up eventually in size of boats. I would start with a good john boat (one with a V-Hull if you can find one) and one that has a trolling motor too. I have power boats and both go too fast for trot lining in spite of trying to hook up drift anchors and all kinds of slowing down concoctions ... the crabs still were literally flying off the trot line before coming anywhere where you can reach them with the net. It did nothing but frustrate me. However being a single girl out there in the water, I want a bigger boat so I tend to stick with those.

If you have patience and lots of time to spend, I've learned to crab with a bunch of fishing poles... you can see your line move, know you have a crab on the line (chicken necks on a bottom rig hook up), reel it in and net :yay: Also saves ALOT on gas than going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth all morning long :shrug: Just an idea.

I also agree with others on here, if you get a powerboat - I definatley would recommend a center counsole one. Aos, I'd take someone with you when you buy your boat that is familiar with boats and crabbing if your main purpose is crabbing. They can look it over for you and see if if its crabbing-friendly (meaning low and close to the water, easily accessible for putting up PVC Pipe for creating a trot line, etc...) Good luck with it all - don't forget you need to register you boat, register your trailer, get a fishing and crabbing license too. :smile: Good luck!! Hope to see ya' out there!! :smile:

oldman

Lobster Land
section8 said:
OK, we are thinking about purchasing a boat for the purpose of crabbing (I think it's called trout lining-throwing a line out with chicken and scooping them up with a net), fishing, water skiing, a little bit of everything. I have been reading some and still do not know what type of boat would suit our needs. It's either a fishing or ski boat. Anyone with have any idea what type of boat would give us a little of both worlds? I'm definitely not looking forward to the maintenance bills this might run me. Thanks in advance.

My friend has a 22' Carolina Skiff with console on the starboard side. We have no trouble running a trot line nor fishing in any of the rivers. We have had 5 of us fishing at once so it's pretty open. Not a good boat for out in the bay though. Just something else for you to take a peek at in your quest of get out on the local waters.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The best boat is one a friendly next door neighbor owns.

section8 said:
Also for the those that have boats, is it really as much work keeping it maintained as I've heard?
:killingme Yes
Figure on at least a couple of hours every time you use it. Wiping down, flushing all the salt water out etc.

bohman

aps45819 said:

Isn't that the truth! Hard to believe nobody brought that up already. I adhere to a variation of that truth; I own a sailboat but I also love to ride on my in-laws' powerboat. Let them pay for gas! :yay:

oldman

Lobster Land
aps45819 said:

:killingme Yes
Figure on at least a couple of hours every time you use it. Wiping down, flushing all the salt water out etc.

Not necessarily true in all cases APS. Depends on what kind boat you have and the help. My friendly neighbor and I have been fishing/crabbing for a few years now and once we get home the boat is washed/cleaned/unloaded and put away easily within an hour. The hard part is cleaning/cooking the fish or crabs afterwards, but then you get to sit down and eat some of the best food nature has to offer.

Nanny Pam

oldman said:
Not necessarily true in all cases APS. Depends on what kind boat you have and the help. My friendly neighbor and I have been fishing/crabbing for a few years now and once we get home the boat is washed/cleaned/unloaded and put away easily within an hour. The hard part is cleaning/cooking the fish or crabs afterwards, but then you get to sit down and eat some of the best food nature has to offer.
Ahhhhh that's living!

D

dems4me

Nanny Pam said:
Ahhhhh that's living!

:yeahthat: Usually I start the steamer going (yes, using a propane steamer) then clean out the trash in the boat while the steamer is warming up ... I'm not worried about the boat looking all pretty and shiny or anything - it just has to go from Point A to Point B for me ... its a fishing/crabbing boat it's just going to get dirty on the outside again anyways :shrug: Also who cares if there's a water line on it :shrug: You just put it back in the water again :shrug: I'm out there to fish and crab, not be all glam about it. But I'm pretty sure that if I laid down 15K on a boat, I'd be scrubbing and waxing it religiously :lol: I buy a cheap boat and don't care how dirty it gets - I dont' care how it looks :shrug: problem solved on half the maintenance right there :lol: :yay: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
section8 said:
OK, we are thinking about purchasing a boat for the purpose of crabbing (I think it's called trout lining-throwing a line out with chicken and scooping them up with a net), fishing, water skiing, a little bit of everything. I have been reading some and still do not know what type of boat would suit our needs. It's either a fishing or ski boat. Anyone with have any idea what type of boat would give us a little of both worlds? I'm definitely not looking forward to the maintenance bills this might run me. Thanks in advance.

the best kinda of boat is a friends boat :lmao:

Mikeinsmd

dems4me said:
:yeahthat: Usually I start the steamer going (yes, using a propane steamer) then clean out the trash in the boat while the steamer is warming up ... I'm not worried about the boat looking all pretty and shiny or anything - it just has to go from Point A to Point B for me ... its a fishing/crabbing boat it's just going to get dirty on the outside again anyways :shrug: Also who cares if there's a water line on it :shrug: You just put it back in the water again :shrug: I'm out there to fish and crab, not be all glam about it. But I'm pretty sure that if I laid down 15K on a boat, I'd be scrubbing and waxing it religiously :lol: I buy a cheap boat and don't care how dirty it gets - I dont' care how it looks :shrug: problem solved on half the maintenance right there :lol: :yay: :lol:
If you have a decent boat with a good gelcoat, cleanup is easy. There's a product called "On and Off" that removes water stains and brings the gelcoat back to it's original color literally before your eyes. If you spend over an hour cleaning up, you're doing something wrong. And that includes flushing. :yay:

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
If you have a decent boat with a good gelcoat, cleanup is easy. There's a product called "On and Off" that removes water stains and brings the gelcoat back to it's original color literally before your eyes. If you spend over an hour cleaning up, you're doing something wrong. And that includes flushing. :yay:

Thats what I thought, but I was afraid to say anything :lol: I flush the motor to get salt hout but that's about it :lol: :huggy: Most my time is cleaning up the trash afterwards, disconnecting depthfinder and battery, etc.. maybe about 15-20 min tops and flushing motor about 3 min.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
dems4me said:
:howdy: Got boat... just need someone to go out with me :howdy:

:lol:

that was always the problem when i had my boat. every one wants to go but when you are sitting down at the dock at 6am no one ever seems to shows up.

oldman

Lobster Land
Dougstermd said:
that was always the problem when i had my boat. every one wants to go but when you are sitting down at the dock at 6am no one ever seems to shows up.

I'm gonna guess here and say when you had a boat you were working and at the dock at 6am on Saturdays or Sundays to sort of beat the rush. Being retired I never go out on weekends and almost never leave home before 8am or even later. We fish or crab for a while, pull into a restaurant along the shore for lunch, and if need be go back out for a few more hours. Rarely does it take us any time to put the boat in or take out because of traffic. During the seaon, if you haven't caught all you want in 4-5 hours you're an addict, which really isn't a bad thing. Croaker season, well they bite best as the sun goes down so we do some night fishing as well. 6am is when I wake up but only to visit the little boys room before returning to bed for a few more hours. Retired life is great and hope everyone gets to enjoy some.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
oldman said:
I'm gonna guess here and say when you had a boat you were working and at the dock at 6am on Saturdays or Sundays to sort of beat the rush. Being retired I never go out on weekends and almost never leave home before 8am or even later. We fish or crab for a while, pull into a restaurant along the shore for lunch, and if need be go back out for a few more hours. Rarely does it take us any time to put the boat in or take out because of traffic. During the seaon, if you haven't caught all you want in 4-5 hours you're an addict, which really isn't a bad thing. Croaker season, well they bite best as the sun goes down so we do some night fishing as well. 6am is when I wake up but only to visit the little boys room before returning to bed for a few more hours. Retired life is great and hope everyone gets to enjoy some.

during the spring trolling season I always liked to hit it close to sunrise. I actually kept my boat at the marina on base. I also think I always doo best with my flounder fishing just after sunrise.

My favorite was comming back to the dock at 8:00am passing my neighbor on his way out and showing him my 44" rock. he was like "i never knew they got that big wher did you catch them"

D

dems4me

oldman said:

Not exactly :shrug: I have good fishing and crabing early morning, and as you know best times are sunrise and dusk/sunset. If I wait on someone and put the boat in past 8 or 9 am, the bite is too late for crabs and fish... also, keep in mind, if crabbing, folks have already claimed the best spots (by 7am or sunrise) for putting out their trot line and stuff before the sun even rises. Heavens to Betsy if you put your boat in the water around 7 and are anchored anywhere near their trot line... folks get rude. You most certainly gotta get out early for this from my experience :shrug: but yes, you are correct, as working folks - all we have is the weekends :shrug: Gotta get out early and make the best of it... its not like we can go back out on Monday orTuesday when its less busy to take advantage of the peirs and parking the trailer, etc... and yes, my problem is folks not wanting to get up early enough, and then when they show up late, they get bored easily on the boat and wonder why fish and crabs arn't biting around noon. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
15-18 ft center console, if you don't plan on skiing you can go 70-75 hp on the small end, 100-125hp for the 18.
My choices would be
Parker
C-Hawk
May-Craft

If I had real money-Fountain