Best way/place to buy a rifle?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, I know we have lots of experienced shooters here. Looking hard at buying a Ruger 10/22 Takedown in the coming months. Would you all think an inspected used one would be fine, if I could find one, or should I just straight to new? Best place/way to buy one in either case? It will be used on my property to refresh myself and teach my son firearm safety and just have fun shooting.

MR47930

Wally world usually has an ok selection of small caliber rifles. If not Dicks should have plenty to choose from (and a much more educated clerk to answer any questions). There are very few moving parts so if you see a used one that appears to be taken care of odds are it will be in fine shape.

stew77

I think there are two decent places here in St Mary's. The first is : Cromwell Firearms; see Jennifer (owners wife), and the other is at the Beer Cave, down 249 @ the Sunoco Gas station. Both places seem pretty fair priced and good to deal with. Both can be searched on the internet for address/hours. Accurate Firearms in Loveville is decent also. As for a starter rifle..the Rugar 10/22 is fine but for the long term I would go with a Henry Youth model. I have one of those and it is a great rifle, shoots all the varieties of .22, from shorts, to 22 long rifle and including the 22 magnum. Henry has been building rifles for years and they standby their products. My take on this..! Wally World is okay, but very sporatic, and trying to get help is hard sometimes. I personally stay away from Dicks, just because the way I have been treated in there. My votes are: Cromwell; Beer Cave, Accurate.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Stew77 is spot on. And Bob's (Beer Cave) has a lot of the Henry rifles in stock to compare them with the Ruger 10/22. (I like both rifles....)

glhs837

Power with Control
Stew77 is spot on. And Bob's (Beer Cave) has a lot of the Henry rifles in stock to compare them with the Ruger 10/22. (I like both rifles....)

Thanks guys. Not sure a lever action is where I want to go. Part of the appeal of the Ruger is easy care, easy storage, larger magazine sizes (although, can I take advantage of that in MD?).

10/22 would be my choice. Tons of customization options. Heavy barrel, different stocks, mag choices (bought in Virginia of course) and accurate as heck.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Thanks guys. Not sure a lever action is where I want to go. Part of the appeal of the Ruger is easy care, easy storage, larger magazine sizes (although, can I take advantage of that in MD?).

shirly you jest .....

I believe all HiCap Mags were banned from sale or import ...
... but you stocked up in the 90's knowing you would be buying a 10/22 in 2016

glhs837

Power with Control
10/22 would be my choice. Tons of customization options. Heavy barrel, different stocks, mag choices (bought in Virginia of course) and accurate as heck.

So, I can legally buy some 25 round magazines in VA and bring them back here? Or perhaps I should just dig those old ones I stocked up on out the ammo can? Slightly easier to just buy new ones, really, my closets a mess.

Graymatter

So, I know we have lots of experienced shooters here. Looking hard at buying a Ruger 10/22 Takedown in the coming months. Would you all think an inspected used one would be fine, if I could find one, or should I just straight to new? Best place/way to buy one in either case? It will be used on my property to refresh myself and teach my son firearm safety and just have fun shooting.

I bought one at the Beer Cave on Saturday. $427 out the door. Now I'm waiting for my rail and scope to arrive in the mail.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I am opposed to .22's in general for the same reasons I am opposed to auto clutch dirt bikes; immoral.

Here's the thing; if you're gonna shoot, or ride, shoot. Or ride.

To me .22's are just too...anh...too little to...not gun-ish. You just start bangbangbang and no recoil, no sense of that is a GUN, is, dangerous, can kill or maim. Just not serious enough. For the same money you can get a 30/30 and it's a REAL feeling gun with a REAL looking round and a REAL bang with REAL recoil. And using the term 'accurate' with a .22 is something I am not familiar with. I've never seen one anywhere near 1moa at 100. Someone correct me if I have just been around dozen's of crap .22's :shrug: .22 LR's just ain't made for that.

We put kids on little bikes with no clutch and they get the hang of it rather quickly and then...in to time...they're starting sorta all over again learning to clutch.

Just my thought.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmm, that was the takedown version after tax and whatever other charges? What was the price of the rifle before all the other stuff? Saw it over at Wally World in Dahgren for I think $349 over the weekend. There are of course mitigating factors. Like the fact that The Beer Cave is about 10 miles away from me. And has a far superior beer selection, of course.

Midnightrider

shirly you jest .....

I believe all HiCap Mags were banned from sale or import ...
... but you stocked up in the 90's knowing you would be buying a 10/22 in 2016

thats some bad info. You can buy any magazine you want and bring it back to maryland. You can not have it shipped here, but you can personally bring it across state lines.

I am opposed to .22's in general for the same reasons I am opposed to auto clutch dirt bikes; immoral.

Here's the thing; if you're gonna shoot, or ride, shoot. Or ride.

To me .22's are just too...anh...too little to...not gun-ish. You just start bangbangbang and no recoil, no sense of that is a GUN, is, dangerous, can kill or maim. Just not serious enough. For the same money you can get a 30/30 and it's a REAL feeling gun with a REAL looking round and a REAL bang with REAL recoil. And using the term 'accurate' with a .22 is something I am not familiar with. I've never seen one anywhere near 1moa at 100. Someone correct me if I have just been around dozen's of crap .22's :shrug: .22 LR's just ain't made for that.

We put kids on little bikes with no clutch and they get the hang of it rather quickly and then...in to time...they're starting sorta all over again learning to clutch.

Just my thought.
I couldn't disagree more. 22's can be very accurate, just not out to 100 yards. You can learn all of the baiscs and perfect technique with realitively cheap ammo. Plus, if you are training or just shooting a lot you can handle the recoil. Even smaller kids can do it without getting turned off by a sore sholder.

22's are plenty deadly. a good shot with a 22 will kill the biggest man. You just need to emphasis that its not the bang or the kick that kills, its the projectile and where it lands.

As for the Ruger, i would suggest getting the regular one over the take down model. Mostly becuase you will have more options for customization. If you do choose the regular model, an extended mag release is a near must. Its about a $20 part and a five minute job that makes swapping out mags much easier, particularly if you are using larger capacity mags

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I couldn't disagree more. 22's can be very accurate, just not out to 100 yards. You can learn all of the baiscs and perfect technique with realitively cheap ammo. Plus, if you are training or just shooting a lot you can handle the recoil. Even smaller kids can do it without getting turned off by a sore sholder.

22's are plenty deadly. a good shot with a 22 will kill the biggest man. You just need to emphasis that its not the bang or the kick that kills, its the projectile and where it lands.

As for the Ruger, i would suggest getting the regular one over the take down model. Mostly becuase you will have more options for customization. If you do choose the regular model, an extended mag release is a near must. Its about a $20 part and a five minute job that makes swapping out mags much easier, particularly if you are using larger capacity mags

I agree that they ARE deadly. My point is that something larger emphasizes that point.

glhs837

Power with Control
thats some bad info. You can buy any magazine you want and bring it back to maryland. You can not have it shipped here, but you can personally bring it across state lines.

Yeah, not sure how much customization I'll need. I see that it's been lout long enough that there are some after pieces, I most likely wouldnt be going beyond what you see in this article. If that far. I'm not planning on doing a lot, just shooting some stuff out back.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Yeah, not sure how much customization I'll need. I see that it's been lout long enough that there are some after pieces, I most likely wouldnt be going beyond what you see in this article. If that far. I'm not planning on doing a lot, just shooting some stuff out back.

Thumbhole stock and heavy barrel for mine. :yay: It was nice when there were gun shows at PG Equestrian Center.

I agree that they ARE deadly. My point is that something larger emphasizes that point.

I dont think someone is getting a .22 to "prove a point". Theyre cheap to shoot, accurate as hell and the small game I personally would be using it on dont need a larger round or a kick from the rifle to be just as dead.