Best way/place to buy a rifle?

nutz

As for a starter rifle..the Rugar 10/22 is fine but for the long term I would go with a Henry Youth model. I have one of those and it is a great rifle, shoots all the varieties of .22, from shorts, to 22 long rifle and including the 22 magnum.

:yikes: Kids, don't try this. A .22 magnum is not interchangeable with standard .22's (short, long, long rifle).

glhs837

Power with Control
I think Larrys point was that a .22 might feel too much like a toy for students to understand how dangerous firearms can be. One of the reasons we train aircraft weapon loaders using full weight dummy shapes. 2500lbs of concrete shaped like a mine is just as dangerous to the loaders as a mine would be. And they need to understand that danger deep in their bones. Luckily for me, I wont be training more than say my son and daughter, so they are already safety nuts :)

nutz

I am opposed to .22's in general for the same reasons I am opposed to auto clutch dirt bikes; immoral.

Here's the thing; if you're gonna shoot, or ride, shoot. Or ride.

To me .22's are just too...anh...too little to...not gun-ish. You just start bangbangbang and no recoil, no sense of that is a GUN, is, dangerous, can kill or maim. Just not serious enough. For the same money you can get a 30/30 and it's a REAL feeling gun with a REAL looking round and a REAL bang with REAL recoil. And using the term 'accurate' with a .22 is something I am not familiar with. I've never seen one anywhere near 1moa at 100. Someone correct me if I have just been around dozen's of crap .22's :shrug: .22 LR's just ain't made for that.

We put kids on little bikes with no clutch and they get the hang of it rather quickly and then...in to time...they're starting sorta all over again learning to clutch.

Just my thought.
Different strokes and all that. I shoot a s&w10-22 regularly instead of my bigger bore AR's. Why? Cheaper ammo and all of the important functions are in the same places. Plus it's got a can. No, I don't shoot 1 moa at 100 with it, but I can at 50 with irons.

There are some guys that special build and spend hours trying different .22 ammo for longer distances. I just don't have the desire.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has a 10/22 that he put a heavy barrel on, did some trigger work, good stock, good scope. He let me shoot it. We were able to put a plastic soda bottle cap on its side, with the top pointing to us, and shoot it every time at 100 yards. We then "played golf" by shooting a golf ball all over the farmer's field.

Get a 10/22 and get a friend that lives "not in Maryland" to order one of these for you...http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-MTEN22

glhs837

Power with Control
Buddy of mine has a 10/22 that he put a heavy barrel on, did some trigger work, good stock, good scope. He let me shoot it. We were able to put a plastic soda bottle cap on its side, with the top pointing to us, and shoot it every time at 100 yards. We then "played golf" by shooting a golf ball all over the farmer's field.

Get a 10/22 and get a friend that lives "not in Maryland" to order one of these for you...http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-MTEN22

Nice thing about being a retired sailor, you have friends all over. Retired range master in FL, retired VA state trooper in VA, Military surplus dealer in SD. Do they sell those in VA?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So, I can legally buy some 25 round magazines in VA and bring them back here?

well if Wiki is accurate ... I learned something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Maryland
Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner.

I was under the impression any importation was verboten

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
thats some bad info. You can buy any magazine you want and bring it back to maryland. You can not have it shipped here, but you can personally bring it across state lines.

Indeed I learned something this week ....
WTF was the point of a mag restriction then

glhs837

Power with Control
well if Wiki is accurate ... I learned something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Maryland
Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner.

You can't have them shipped here. You have to go get them. That cuts down on people who have them because some people simply wont bother, others will misunderstand.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Nope. That's why the provision, like every other provision in that stupid bill, is beyond silly.

I always hunt with the smallest magazine anyway, so really wouldn't GAF except that they passed the law so I bought everything they banned. Just because.

Heck, the mag on the Alexander .500 only holds 7 rounds. They do make one that holds 10 but it's huge and that's too much weight to be lugging around in the brush hunting and kinda cancels out the reason for having such a light rifle in the first place.