Bidenomics

Clem72

Completely WRONG.
What's wrong about it? During the first year of the pandemic I bought a car about 8k below MSRP, had an HVAC system installed that I thought was overpriced (but it's 3x as expensive now), and my groceries still cost $50-60 a week.

SamSpade

What's wrong about it? During the first year of the pandemic I bought a car about 8k below MSRP, had an HVAC system installed that I thought was overpriced (but it's 3x as expensive now), and my groceries still cost $50-60 a week.
It would have to the world record of coincidences for all the chit to hit the fan the moment Biden took office and not a second before.
Because we had 8-9 months of business, church and school shutdowns, shortages on meat so BAD that Giant filled their meat section - with LUNCHABLES. Shortages on everything. And somehow - we had cheap gas, cheap groceries and we managed.

Biden takes over - and it gets worse. MUCH worse. By some weird situation - COVID deaths took off. Afghanistan was as bad as it has ever been.

And his entire administration has been a chit show. The things they brag about are PASSING LEGISLATION. Passing bills is not "proof" - RESULTS are proof. As the expression that is often misused - thanks to Lewis Carroll - "the proof of the pudding is in the EATING of it". You want to know how good it is? TASTE it. You wanna know how good or bad a bill is? Look at the outcome.

We are amazed but not amused
By all the things you say that you'll do
Though much concerned but not involved
With decisions that are made by you

But we are sick and tired of hearing your song
Telling how you are gonna change right from wrong
'Cause if you really want to hear our views
"You haven't done nothing"!

It's not too cool to be ridiculed
But you brought this upon yourself
The world is tired of pacifiers
We want the truth and nothing else

And we are sick and tired of hearing your song
Telling how you are gonna change right from wrong
'Cause if you really want to hear our views
"You haven't done nothing"!

HemiHauler

Elaborate - if you have any idea what you're saying.

There's zero question that the cost of gas in this country was a result of Biden - because they SAID THAT WAS THE IDEA. And the cost of gas ties into everything we buy.

I don't know of a better way to create inflation - than to print money when inflation has already begun to be a problem.

We haven't had a serious inflation problem in this country since Nixon and Ford. So how is it that world events MUST HAVE conspired together just to create inflation?

It wasn't even a problem for 2020 while Trump was President, and you couldn't get toilet paper or - well a lot of things.

You are completely out of your mind.

We’ll set aside the $8T worth of deficit spending.

I do hope you’re aware that 45 negotiated with OPEC+ to cut production, yes?

He did that, in fact, for a very good reason: our domestic extraction industry has a breakeven point ~$50/bbl. That means retail prices will be higher at the pump. That agreement is still in place today.

As far as $8T? Inflation is a lagging indicator and if you can’t take it from there, you’re as gormless as most of the lapdog bots who post here.

HemiHauler

Let me introduce you to lagging indicators.

OccamsRazor

Let me introduce you to lagging indicators.
The only problem with your 'lagging indicators' is that they always seem to "lag" for as long as there is a Democrap in office.
Democraps hold office for 8 years? Damn... those indicators seem to lag for 8 years!
Democraps hold office for 4 years? Wow... those indicators only lasted 4 years!
Odd how it works like that isn't it?
I wonder if the latest 'lagging indicators' are waiting to see how much longer they will "lag" until after November.

HemiHauler

The only problem with your 'lagging indicators' is that they always seem to "lag" for as long as there is a Democrap in office.
Democraps hold office for 8 years? Damn... those indicators seem to lag for 8 years!
Democraps hold office for 4 years? Wow... those indicators only lasted 4 years!
Odd how it works like that isn't it?
I wonder if the latest 'lagging indicators' are waiting to see how much longer they will "lag" until after November.

Nope.

Sorry, but you’re projecting.

SamSpade

As far as $8T? Inflation is a lagging indicator and if you can’t take it from there, you’re as gormless as most of the lapdog bots who post here.

When oil prices rise - gas prices rise IMMEDIATELY. That's pretty simple - you can't sell gas that you pay twice as much for, for last week's price.

We were all taught a basic lesson in supply and demand - prices jumped IMMEDIATELY - when we started having supply chain problems.

Inflation is only a lagging indicator if you're only measuring year over year change, and over a panoply of products. The ones that MOST hurt consumers are when their groceries, gas, oil, electric and heating bills all jump in a very short time. The "real" inflation - the ones consumers see - is the one that hits them.

THAT is measurable. It's not "lagging".

And Occam is right - an economic indicator only ever seems to be lagging - if it can be construed to shift blame. Otherwise, Dems are quick to claim credit for anything beneficial happening on their watch.

HemiHauler

When oil prices rise - gas prices rise IMMEDIATELY. That's pretty simple - you can't sell gas that you pay twice as much for, for last week's price.

We were all taught a basic lesson in supply and demand - prices jumped IMMEDIATELY - when we started having supply chain problems.

Inflation is only a lagging indicator if you're only measuring year over year change, and over a panoply of products. The ones that MOST hurt consumers are when their groceries, gas, oil, electric and heating bills all jump in a very short time. The "real" inflation - the ones consumers see - is the one that hits them.

THAT is measurable. It's not "lagging".

And Occam is right - an economic indicator only ever seems to be lagging - if it can be construed to shift blame. Otherwise, Dems are quick to claim credit for anything beneficial happening on their watch.

Dude, I have never seen so much overly verbose bloviating horse chit in one internet post in my life.

OccamsRazor

...an economic indicator only ever seems to be lagging - if it can be construed to shift blame. Otherwise, Dems are quick to claim credit for anything beneficial happening on their watch.
Exactly...

Good things happening right now = Dems say "Look what WE did. Isn't it wonderful?"
Bad things happening right now = Dems say "Its due to 'lagging indicators' from the previous Repub regime."

That has been the battle cry of every Demtard since Clinton!

By the by... anyone else notice the price at the pump went up about $0.20 overnight?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Exactly...

Good things happening right now = Dems say "Look what WE did. Isn't it wonderful?"
Bad things happening right now = Dems say "Its due to 'lagging indicators' from the previous Repub regime."

By the by... anyone else notice the price at the pump went up about $0.20 overnight?
Expect $4 again by summer.

The Strategic Democrat Reserve is running low.

Hijinx

Exactly...

Yes it went up. I figure it is probably the Houthi's shooting up the Suez Canal raising the price.
Something that wouldn't matter when Trump had us energy Independent. But of course with Dildo Joe running things it's a bit different.

SamSpade

Common Sense Vs Statistics​

While I agree with nearly everything this guy says, I disagree with his implication that BLS is basically politicized and rolls out data that says whatever the White House wants it to.

What I have observed endlessly over 30+ years is not that the DATA is false, but

1. WHAT data is used and
2. What they tell you it means.

Numbers don’t lie but people do all the time. If totals don’t say what you want - use percentages. If percentages don’t say what you want, use rates. If yearly data doesn’t say what you want, use year over year.

E. g. the last one - you spent more money than last year but revenues were UP, so the deficit dropped. The cost of xxx is way up over the last few years, but it went up LESS last year (this is how inflation is usually measured). So while the price itself is way up, the increase over last year is less - and you can claim it went DOWN. Another one - in a given year you increase spending by a phenomenal amount for whatever reason. The NEXT year you STILL spend an enormous amount over two years prior but a little LESS. So year over year- you brought spending DOWN.

It’s important to see what the stats tell you because yes the numbers don’t lie but if a politician cites them, check his math.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Biden’s Economy Makes No Sense. It’s Simply An Excuse To Attack Republicans

Joe Biden has a plan. His political plan is twofold. One: Promise to spend more money than anybody has in human history. Two: Soak the rich. That’s going to be his two-pronged economic plan, which is nothing new; we’ve seen that from every Democrat since Bill Clinton. The idea was to promise the world to voters, promise to spend money that does not exist, and do so by borrowing and taxing.

But the taxes never actually materialized because tax revenue is not capable of sustaining the kind of spending we are doing now, unless you decide to really tax the middle class. What Democrats want is the Norwegian standard of living without the kind of oil wealth provided by the Norwegian oil industry and without taxing the middle class in the way that Norway does.

The dirty secret of living in Scandinavia is that they tax everybody who makes about $60,000 a year at the same rate they tax those who make $500,000 a year. But America has an incredibly progressive tax system. People at the top of the income spectrum pay nearly all the taxes in the United States. That is not true in the social democracies of European countries, which start taxing people at exorbitant rates when they hit the lower-middle class.

But that’s something Democrats don’t want to do because they understand that if they do so, it would be politically unpopular with many of the people who are going to vote for them.

So, instead, they decide to promise extraordinary levels of spending and try to force Republicans into the corner — because Republicans are going to say we can’t spend that much.

This is why Biden has now released his fiscal 2025 budget, which has no chance of passage. It’s a list of priorities for Biden. And what exactly are Biden’s priorities?

Taxing people a lot of money, cutting military spending in the face of the most chaotic world situation of the modern era, and maintaining the spending trajectory of Social Security and Medicare.

And somehow, he says this is going to lower the deficit.

How is it going to do that? He’s assuming he can radically increase taxes without affecting the economy, which of course, is not the way any of this works. Radically increasing taxes causes people to spend less money. That’s the way it tends to work. You can tax something to death. But you cannot tax something into prosperity.

He’s proposing a $7.3 trillion budget. This is patently insane on its face. First, even during the pandemic in 2021, we did not spend that much money. The United States government spent about $6.8 trillion. The same was true in 2020. That was during a full-scale pandemic when people were told to stay home and the federal government paid everyone’s bills for a year.