Big fire in Leonardtown

mitzi

Isn't there still a ton of parking just behind Leonardtown square new Tudor Hall?

It's not really a ton. Visitors fill up the parking lot of the apartment building across from the Courthouse. Any big event or busy court days. The people that live there can't even leave and come back to a parking space.

mitzi

Nobody would use it.

I dont think there is a time limit on parking in the square, so it gets taken up by people who go to work for the day. Make the parking on the square something reasonable like 90 minutes or two hours so it is available for the patrons of the businesses around the square.

I don't think that's the problem. Most of those business's have a small area behind the building that employees can park. Are you suggesting metered parking? That isn't going to work for people who actually live here.

luvmygdaughters

Isn't there still a ton of parking just behind Leonardtown square new Tudor Hall?
Do you mean the courthouse parking lot? I suppose that's open to the public on the weekends. I think theres parking behind the Front Porch too. But, if you're going to SOF, its a bit of a hike, especially in the summer and walking uphill. I suppose you could park at the college too, but again, a hike. Maybe SOF should consider buying a bus and hiring a driver, make a loop of Leonardtown, say every 20 minutes. I know this really, nice, retired, senior citizen who would be great for the job. Not too mention, it would get him out my hair for a while on the weekends, :whistle: but thats another story!

officeguy

I don't think that's the problem. Most of those business's have a small area behind the building that employees can park. Are you suggesting metered parking? That isn't going to work for people who actually live here.

No. I am suggesting an unmetered time limit. Meter maid makes the rounds and marks down the cars using a license plate reader. If someone stays more than 90min they get a small ticket. Works like a charm and benefits the downtown businesses by keeping streetside parking available for their customers. The worst thing you can do for a downtown is to introduce metered parking. That kind of greed has destroyed many downtown business districts.

luvmygdaughters

No. I am suggesting an unmetered time limit. Meter maid makes the rounds and marks down the cars using a license plate reader. If someone stays more than 90min they get a small ticket. Works like a charm and benefits the downtown businesses by keeping streetside parking available for their customers. The worst thing you can do for a downtown is to introduce metered parking. That kind of greed has destroyed many downtown business districts.
I dont see that working in Leonardtown, too many restaurants and bars. Between the Rex, the Pub, the Front Porch, The Speak Easy, the new mexican restaurant, you could actually spend more than 90 minutes if you hopping from place to the other. I think the town should have parking by the wharf and run a shuttle bus, also, that nasty building that used to be Penny's, on Rt. 5, that could be torn down and a parking lot put in there. I also saw there is storage facility going in across from that housing development on Rt. 245, could have used that for a parking lot. As I stated before, more homes, businesses, but nothing as far as infrastructure goes.

officeguy

I dont see that working in Leonardtown, too many restaurants and bars. Between the Rex, the Pub, the Front Porch, The Speak Easy, the new mexican restaurant, you could actually spend more than 90 minutes if you hopping from place to the other.

If you do a bar-crawl, maybe you shouldn't be driving yourself. The great majority of customers to typical downtown businesses spend less than 90 minutes parked. If you restrict streetside parking in that manner, there is a market for privately run parking lots around downtown that can cater to those who need to park the entire day because they have business at the courthouse or go to work. I hear there is now an open lot behind the firehouse, someone could level it and put an automated parking facility on there.

I think the town should have parking by the wharf and run a shuttle bus,

It would be a giant waste of money and nobody would use it.

mitzi

If you do a bar-crawl, maybe you shouldn't be driving yourself. The great majority of customers to typical downtown businesses spend less than 90 minutes parked. If you restrict streetside parking in that manner, there is a market for privately run parking lots around downtown that can cater to those who need to park the entire day because they have business at the courthouse or go to work. I hear there is now an open lot behind the firehouse, someone could level it and put an automated parking facility on there.

It would be a giant waste of money and nobody would use it.

This isn't Metropolis, it's downtown Leonardtown. The town you can drive thru in 3 minutes. The town is not going to create a new position for a Meter Maid. The only time parking is a problem around the Square is during special events (or heavy court days). This is when it spills over into the neighborhoods. Maybe now on the weekends since SOF opened. Going thru during the day, you can always find a parking spot and in the evenings, no problem at all. SOF closes at 7:00. Where do you propose privately run parking lots would be? And as the other poster said, parking in the Square area to go to SOF is too far of a walk. The idea situation would be for SOF to purchase or lease the property where the building burnt down yesterday and make that a parking lot for their businesses. Also, those that come into town for events, SOF, whatever need to have some common sense and courtesy and NOT block people's driveways or park directly in front of someone's house who obviously needs to park there when they return home. They think they're entitled to park anywhere. I've seen them park in areas where there's "No Parking, Violators will be towed" signs. Real nice to return your car with tired, whiny kids after the Beach Party or the Christmas on the Square to have your mini van gone. They deserved it. The town does run shuttles for that and the people STILL park wherever they feel they can.

mitzi

Fire Marshal report/photo:

View attachment 138649

Date: 7/01/2019

Time: 1:25 P.M.

Location / Address: 22715 Duke Street, Leonardtown, St. Mary's County

Type of Incident: Building Fire

Description of Structure / Property: Vacant Two Story Commercial Building

Owner / Occupants: Roy Dooley

Injuries or Deaths: None

Estimated $ Loss: Structure: $ 200,000 Contents: $ 15,000

Smoke Alarm Status: None

Fire Alarm / Sprinkler Status: None

Arrests(s): None

Primary Responding Fire Department: Leonardtown VFD

# of Alarms: 1 # Of Firefighters: 37

Time to Control: 45 Minutes

Discovered By: Neighbor

Area of Origin: Rear of the building

Preliminary Cause: Under Investigation

Additional Information: The vacant building was previously occupied by Dooley's Furniture. The building was completely destroyed as a result of the fire and there were no injuries. The incident remains under investigation at this time. Anyone with any information about the fire is asked to contact the State Fire Marshals Office, Southern Region at 443-550-6834.

I'm curious to see what started it.

mitzi

What causes a fire in a vacant building? Electrical short? Gas leak? Lightning strike? Miscreants (kids, homeless)? Other?

Was there electricity in the building? Was there gas present? Was there a storm at that time of day? Based on what's left, might be hard to tell for sure. Unless someone volunteers some information.

I had wondered if it had electricity, it's been vacant for decades.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
What causes a fire in a vacant building?
From what I have heard, and it is all hearsay at this point, the owner had a habit of burning rubbish such as boxes outside but very close to the building. As old and decrepit as that building was, it wouldn't take much for it to catch on fire and burn uncontrollably.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
From what I have heard, and it is all hearsay at this point, the owner had a habit of burning rubbish such as boxes outside but very close to the building. As old and decrepit as that building was, it wouldn't take much for it to catch on fire and burn uncontrollably.

mitzi

I read that too.