Bin Laden in the news pre 9/11

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
Yeah, prior to that, we kind of funded him in a way when helping the Afgans against Russia. He wasn't a leader or anything back then, but he was fighting the Russians at the back of the Taliban and we funneled support in there because it's the Cold War.
Tsun Tzu, The Art of War - "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...is that bin Laden is right; we do support corrupt, undemocratic nor based in rule of law governments that do oppress their people and we have for a long time. He is also correct that his religion tells him we, infidel (non Islamic faithed) armies should be expelled from their Holy Lands.

We are their enemies. I wonder if we'll ever start taking them seriously.
Probably not because westerners, especially U.S. citizens, do not think like they, or for that matter, much of the world does. We do not pay much attention to God and certainly have been kicking Him out of government. Someone who thinks they are doing allah's will answerers to a higher power than the government.

Look at WW II. We have lost it. Huh? The Oriental mind thinks of wars in terms of hundreds of years; it ain't over until it is over. The Japanese fought WW II over trade rights to the Pacific basin; which we promptly gave them after the hostilities were over. The Japanese have pursued the economic war with the U.S. since the end of hostilities and taking a look around, I think they have won. China is winning the current economic war. And despite what some may think about it, war is fought over money and power.

B

Bronwyn

Bustem' Down said:
Yeah, prior to that, we kind of funded him in a way when helping the Afgans against Russia. He wasn't a leader or anything back then, but he was fighting the Russians at the back of the Taliban and we funneled support in there because it's the Cold War.

I didn't realize that we funded Bin Laden. I know his family is very wealthy and he himself was a millionare. He was helping to fund the war in Afgan. Who were we funding? Afgan Government or bin Laden?

B

Bronwyn

May 1997

Attachments

• news41997.gif
    news41997.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 68

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Bronwyn said:
I didn't realize that we funded Bin Laden. I know his family is very wealthy and he himself was a millionare. He was helping to fund the war in Afgan. Who were we funding? Afgan Government or bin Laden?

We were helping the Taliban in a sort of guerilla war against the invading Soviets. Bin Laden was there also helping the Taliban, it's where he got his start basically. We helped put the Taliban in power, at the time it was a good option, certainly better than a Soviet puppet state in the region.

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
I think I already pointed out that the Taliban didn't exist prior to the Soviets vacating Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban#Rise_to_power
The Taliban originated around 1993-1994. Naseerullah Babar, interior minister during Benazir Bhutto's second government from 1993-1996, along with other Pakistani military and ISI intelligence top brass got together in the province of Quetta, located on the border with Afghanistan, to form a militia movement consisting of religious students in Pakistani religious schools known as madrassas to gain control of Afghan mujahidin government.​
Bustem' Down said:
We were helping the Taliban in a sort of guerilla war against the invading Soviets. Bin Laden was there also helping the Taliban, it's where he got his start basically. We helped put the Taliban in power, at the time it was a good option, certainly better than a Soviet puppet state in the region.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
forestal said:
I think I already pointed out that the Taliban didn't exist prior to the Soviets vacating Afghanistan.

Even Wiki has problems with your 'factual' citation.

WIKIPEDIA said:
The neutrality of the body of this article is disputed.

The factual accuracy of this section is disputed.

This article or section does not cite its references or sources.

This article has been tagged since August 2006.

Looks like this citation has been effectively impeached. Can you do any better than that?

B

Bronwyn

The Post Standard, New York, August 4 2002, from "The Wall Street Journal"

Attachments

• news.gif
    news.gif
    93.4 KB · Views: 58

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
No, they don't have a problem with the origin, they have problems with the article.

how about MSN?

Taliban, Islamic fundamentalist movement in [url="http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761569370/Afghanistan.html"]Afghanistan that controlled most of the country from September 1996 to November 2001. The Taliban movement was created in 1994 by a senior mullah (Islamic priest), Mohammed Omar, in the southern Afghanistan city of Kandahār. The name Taliban, meaning “student,” refers to the movement’s origins in Islamic religious schools, or madrasas, although most members knew war all their lives and attended the madrasas only for rudimentary religious training.[/url]

Lenny said:
Even Wiki has problems with your 'factual' citation.

Looks like this citation has been effectively impeached. Can you do any better than that?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
forestal said:
No, they don't have a problem with the origin, they have problems with the article.

You musta been a math major 'cause you certainly cannot read English.

WIKIPEDIA said:
The factual accuracy of this section is disputed.