birth control

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
My doctor told me that after 5 years we just remove it and replace it with a new one! Very uncomplicated! I agree though...I did have horrible cramps the first day but have had no problems since. I still have cycle symptoms (cramps, headache, irritability), but I don't actually get a period anymore.

That's something I can't get my mind past. Our bodies go through a cycle and I feel like interupting it would mess me up somewhere down the line. I was on the pill, started at age 15 and at 18 I was pregnant with my 1st. Never missed a pill; however, I was on antibiotics. Whoops!!:whack: I seriously can't recall my OB or the doctor who prescriped me the antibiotic telling me about using back-up BC. I haven't been on any form of BC sense.. just condoms. I'm almost 25 now. I wish I could get my head pass the fact that having no period is "okay and healthy".. cuz we all know, condoms suck. :wink:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
That's something I can't get my mind past. Our bodies go through a cycle and I feel like interupting it would mess me up somewhere down the line. I was on the pill, started at age 15 and at 18 I was pregnant with my 1st. Never missed a pill; however, I was on antibiotics. Whoops!!:whack: I seriously can't recall my OB or the doctor who prescriped me the antibiotic telling me about using back-up BC. I haven't been on any form of BC sense.. just condoms. I'm almost 25 now. I wish I could get my head pass the fact that having no period is "okay and healthy".. cuz we all know, condoms suck. :wink:

My doctor saidjust because you don't have a period your body does still go through it's cycle and cleanse itself.

MISTYM1223

I have had the Mirena for almost 5 years and I love it. It made my period extremely light which is fine with me. I haven't had any side effects at all. I have tried most of the other birth control options and didn't have any luck. This one is great for me. Good Luck!

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
My doctor saidjust because you don't have a period your body does still go through it's cycle and cleanse itself.

Open question for any lady who can/wants to answer: How are your periods once they start back up? I ask because I had a co-worker who didn't get periods on her birth control. When she would stop the B.C., her periods were so bad that she would soak through. After about 3-4 months they would level out and be "normal". I'm not 100% positive, but I think she told me she was on the Depo shot. You can PM me a response if you don't want to put it out there. T.I.A.!

Oh, and is the whole deal with the "no periods is okay" thing relatively new? As in within 5-10 years new? Nothing our Mom's/Grandma's etc. experienced?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Whereas my doctor said there is nothing normal about that and refuses to put anybody on the depo or other things. :shrug: He also says there just isn't enough long term research done on the drugs, so we have no clue what complications could arise later on. Considering the complications I had with depo prior to going to him, I believe he is right.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Open question for any lady who can/wants to answer: How are your periods once they start back up? I ask because I had a co-worker who didn't get periods on her birth control. When she would stop the B.C., her periods were so bad that she would soak through. After about 3-4 months they would level out and be "normal". I'm not 100% positive, but I think she told me she was on the Depo shot. You can PM me a response if you don't want to put it out there. T.I.A.!

Oh, and is the whole deal with the "no periods is okay" thing relatively new? As in within 5-10 years new? Nothing our Mom's/Grandma's etc. experienced?

I had the worst periods ever after going off depo. It actually was one huge long running period for several weeks. Then when I thought it was over, it wasn't. :ohwell: My doctor wanted a "regular" cycle before putting me on the pill. That took about 6 months.

Of course, I went off the pill over a year ago, and had some bad periods, but not as bad as going off depo. And my cycle was normal off the bat.

pelers

I was on depo with no periods for about 7 years. About 6 months after my last shot I got an Implanon, a 3 year implant. I had the implant removed after the 3 years were up. I got pregnant about a month after implant removal. I had my first period about 6 weeks after I gave birth.

So take from that what you will ;) (BTW, the periods now are absolutely wretched; but how much of that is because of baby and how much of that was from 10+ years of BC who knows)