Blue City State Schadenfreude - Elections have Consequences

Toxick

Splat
It was a joke, let me set it up.

Child dies far away from home at 2am fighting over mcnugget dipping sauce.

Reasonable question is asked, "why were they in DC at 2am"

Perfect joke, "Obviously, because the Waldorf McDonald's closes at 11pm".
-----

It's funny, because obviously that was not the intent of the question (why are your kids running around unsupervised late at night).

As a general rule of thumb I say that if you have to explain a joke it wasn't funny.

However, I did get the original joke, and I thought it was funny.
And ironically - the explanation is funnier.

Irony is funny.

Usually.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Giant Food makes a last ditch effort to stop retail theft

Back in May I wrote about Giant Food, a grocery chain in the Washington, DC area. My grandparents shopped at the Giant Food in Silver Spring, MD for most of their lives so I’ve been to that location many times. But latetly the chain is struggling with retail theft, or shrink as it’s known in the industry. Ira Kress, the president of Giant Food told the Washington Post, “To say [theft has] risen tenfold in the last five years would not be an understatement.”

Saturday the Post published a follow up story about Giant’s last ditch efforts to combat shrink at their last remaining store east of the Anacostia River by removing lots of frequently stolen name brand products from their stores.

Giant Food, which has 165 supermarkets across D.C., Delaware, Maryland and Virginia, has not closed any stores. In May, it implemented several changes, including hiring more security guards, closing down secondary entrances, limiting the number of items permitted through self-checkout areas, removing high-theft items from shelves and locking up more products.
“At this particular store, it’s actually worse, not better,” Kress said of the shrink. “And we’ve invested a significant amount of money here, even more security here than any other store.”
This meant more changes were needed, Kress said. Giant’s Alabama Avenue store will soon remove high-theft merchandise such as Tide laundry detergent, Schick razor blades, Dove soap, Degree deodorant and Pantene shampoo to curb losses.
“We have no other choice,” Diane Hicks, senior vice president of operations, said Thursday during a walk-through with officials from the D.C. mayor’s office, the city’s police and fire departments, and the Chamber of Commerce. She added that other nearby stores have locked up all products in those aisles or removed them altogether. “I’ve been leaving it out for our customers, and unfortunately it just forces all the crime to come to us.”

This is a sad state of affairs. No one can afford to be the last store in the neighborhood to lock up certain products because all the thieves quickly learn where to go. But if Giant isn’t able to stop the theft the store will close. It’s the only full-sized grocery store left in Ward 8 which is in the eastern part of the city. That one store currently serves about 80,000 people who live in the ward. If it disappears it’s unlikely anyone else will be eager to open a grocery store in the area.

It should go without saying but none of these people stealing Tide or name brand cosmetics are doing so because they are starving. They are doing this to resell the items online and make money. Store brand laundry detergent just isn’t going to have the same resale value as Tide, at least that is the hope for Giant Food.

SamSpade

I'll say this again - there's a lot of red in those states and cities going blue all the time - and as long as they STAY blue, THEY are the ones the blue guys will screw to stay in power.

Which means, blue guys stay in power, red leaves - and then elections don't matter. It doesn't matter how the blue voters vote, those in power are keeping the power.

We have offices across the country that are UNOPPOSED - because the opposition party just doesn't see the point in trying.
In 2022 - we had eight offices that - due to the primaries allowing only the top two vote getters - the winner ran against a member of their OWN party. Same year, 13 representatives faced only third party or independent opponents - and they all won. And of course, 16 that had no opposition at all - except maybe a write in.

37 seats where the candidate just walked to victory. And greater than 90% of the races were never even close. Kinda like Steny, here. He's never gonna be beaten.

You know what's worse? At the STATE level, about a third of all races are unopposed. And that's both parties.

Yeah, I suppose they deserve what they vote for - but what choice do they have when the election doesn't actually offer a choice?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 In case you were wondering about exactly who in San Fransisco is in favor of the city’s controlled demolition, last week a group of totally-sane citizens led by San Fransisco’s most liberal Supervisor Dean Preston held a rally at City Hall in favor of looser drug enforcement.

image 6.png

By “totally sane,” I mean completely deluded and demonized.

Among other notable accomplishments, after his election to the board, Supervisor Preston passed legislation making it illegal to evict tenants during the pandemic. Here’s one example of an earnest, non-ironic sign from the rally:

image 7.png

So far, these barely-functioning people are somehow winning in California’s most iconic city. This photo illustrates San Fransisco’s current status:

image 8.png

It looks a whole lot like there’s no drug enforcement. Yet the protestors and Supervisor Preston called for looser drug enforcement. How is that even possible? Do they want the city to install fentanyl vending machines or something?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, I suppose they deserve what they vote for - but what choice do they have when the election doesn't actually offer a choice?

I agree with pretty much all of your post...except in the past when voters have been offered a choice they've chosen status quo. 2020 had good or at least decent choices in many Democrat districts/states, and voters chose either the incumbent they'd been bitching nonstop about or someone who offered MORE of what voters said they didn't want. Chicago comes to mind, as does NYC.

Michelle Lujan Grisham barricaded a whole city in her state, with armed guards at every road to make sure no one got out....and they re-elected her.

Gretchen Whitmer locked her state down so hard people couldn't even buy basics at a store....and the voters re-elected her. AFTER it became public that she and her husband were vacationing at the lake and running around as they pleased in direct defiance of a law SHE enacted. And voters had a great choice in Tudor Dixon...but...nah...they voted to keep The Wretch.

🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Clem72

Didn't see it posted yet, maybe missed it. Apparently the California Senate passed a law making it illegal for retail employees to try and stop shoplifters.

:popcorn:

PeoplesElbow

I agree with pretty much all of your post...except in the past when voters have been offered a choice they've chosen status quo. 2020 had good or at least decent choices in many Democrat districts/states, and voters chose either the incumbent they'd been bitching nonstop about or someone who offered MORE of what voters said they didn't want. Chicago comes to mind, as does NYC.

Michelle Lujan Grisham barricaded a whole city in her state, with armed guards at every road to make sure no one got out....and they re-elected her.

Gretchen Whitmer locked her state down so hard people couldn't even buy basics at a store....and the voters re-elected her. AFTER it became public that she and her husband were vacationing at the lake and running around as they pleased in direct defiance of a law SHE enacted. And voters had a great choice in Tudor Dixon...but...nah...they voted to keep The Wretch.

🤷‍♀️
I thought you was against voting for less evil, aka decent?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought you was against voting for less evil, aka decent?

Less evil and decent do not equate. Mitt Romney is slightly less evil than Biden. Vivek Ramaswamy is decent. Ron DeSantis is a decent candidate. Nikki Haley is less evil.

If I say a candidate is decent, that means I could vote for them should the GOP decide that's their guy. Less evil are all those Republicans I would never vote for, not even to keep Biden from a second term because what's the difference?

SamSpade

Don't know how to answer, except I have relatives who will never, never, NEVER vote for a Republican even if the Democrat personally shoots one of them. They are going to pick the Democrat over any other option. They're convinced that electing a Republican means every ridiculous caricature of Republicans you've seen - Nazi, KKK, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-poor, anti-union ---- to them, it is never going to be a choice. It's not a matter of "whaddaya got to lose?". They see it as losing their very last bit of rights and freedom.

They also choose less evil - they believe electing a Republican is electing the devil. At least with the Democrat, they vote for the devil they KNOW.

When are WE going to kick STENY out? He's been in Congress - I believe - longer than anyone else?

But like Chicago - man, Chicago ESPECIALLY - some places REALLY HAVE JUST ONE PARTY. Obama himself got the state Senate spot by showing that all his competitors had cheated on their petitions. That's right - he sauntered into the office without competition in the primary - and only nominal opposition in the general. When one party rules a place, people move into position by patronage. Obama had secured his - and his patron betrayed him by running in a race she was going to leave.

I find it ironic that ALL OF HIS primary competitors were disqualified because their petitions were full of fake voters. ALL OF THEM. For all we know, Obama's was too, but how do you point out that your opponenet just cheated BETTER than you did?

DC is also clearly - a case of political patronage deciding who runs things. Voters really don't decide - all of their options come from the party leaders. This is like the GOP forcing you to choose between Romney and Haley - and refusing to allow anyone else. You do NOT have a choice. So you end up with CRAP either way, even if you don't even vote.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't know how to answer, except I have relatives who will never, never, NEVER vote for a Republican even if the Democrat personally shoots one of them. They are going to pick the Democrat over any other option. They're convinced that electing a Republican means every ridiculous caricature of Republicans you've seen - Nazi, KKK, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-poor, anti-union ---- to them, it is never going to be a choice. It's not a matter of "whaddaya got to lose?". They see it as losing their very last bit of rights and freedom.

Right and that's exactly my point. They DO have a choice, they just don't choose it. It is my observation that most Democrats will always vote the D no matter what, like you just said. But they still have a choice. Ignorance is a choice and so is continuing to vote for oppression and crime.

Lazy ignorant people always insist they "don't have a choice" when in fact they have a number of choices. They just don't choose them.

Hijinx

WE have been trying to retire Steny Hoyer for years, but there aint enough of us.
He rules in Waldorf and PG County because he caters to those that are there.
The one good thing is that his lie about saving the Navy base no longer works for him,

SamSpade

Right and that's exactly my point. They DO have a choice, they just don't choose it. It is my observation that most Democrats will always vote the D no matter what, like you just said. But they still have a choice. Ignorance is a choice and so is continuing to vote for oppression and crime.

Lazy ignorant people always insist they "don't have a choice" when in fact they have a number of choices. They just don't choose them.
Well, the NON Democrats really don't have a choice. I've never voted for Steny, and I've somehow managed to be in every single district of his, unintentionally. My vote, as for President, isn't going to count. Like, ever.

Ignorance may be a choice - but it can be almost impossible to overcome, especially if the ignorant one is YOU. It's hard to overcome your OWN suspicions, sentiments, anger, and so on. And I've sought to do this my whole life, especially with PEOPLE - learn to ignore what my ears and eyes suspect, and judge based on what they do.

But think about what I wrote before - can you honestly say there haven't been Republicans that come across as at least, ONE of those things?
If every dog you've ever met is a mean, snarling wolf-like creature - are you going to be eager to PET one?
Would you let a tarantula or scorpion walk across your arm, even after it's been show to you that they are harmless?

The GOP have an image problem among the die-hard left. Until that changes, you can bet on THAT portion of the population will NEVER vote for them, even if it means more of the crap they hate. They vote for Hitler so they don't have to vote for Satan.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, the NON Democrats really don't have a choice.

Ah, but they do have a choice. They can move. People do it every single day.
The GOP have an image problem among the die-hard left.

That's because the die hard left is a bubble hivemind and completely ignorant. They gobble propaganda and if you ask one of them to elaborate on their mindless meme they get abusive and irate because they have no idea what they're talking about - they just puke up crap they saw on TV or Twitter. You cannot have a reasonable discussion with them. They could broaden their information sources but they CHOOSE not to. They CHOOSE to think Trump or whoever is all the things his political opponents say he is. Without those sources telling them what to "think" who knows what they might do. But it is in fact a choice.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Dem Who Wanted to Dismantle Minneapolis PD Gets Carjacked, Discovers How Important Police Are

But after Sathanandan's attack, what she had to say was enlightening. The person who seemed such a fan of getting rid of the police thanked them effusively when they came to her aid, and she had a few things to say about those criminals as well.

I'm now part of the statistics. I wasn't silent when I fought these men to save my life and my babies, and I won't be silent now. We need to get illegal guns off of our streets, catch these young people who are running wild creating chaos across our city and HOLD THEM IN CUSTODY AND PROSECUTE THEM.
PERIOD.
Look at my face. REMEMBER ME when you are thinking about supporting letting juveniles and young people out of custody to roam our streets instead of HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.
You could have been reading the obituary for me and my children today. But instead I'm here. To write this.
Look at my face. These criminals will not win. We need to take back our city. And this will not be the last you hear from me about this.
Thank you to the incredible Minneapolis 4th Precinct Officers, Mayor Frey, Chief O'Hara, Paramedics, neighbors, friends and DFL family, who all came to our aide during this terrifying experience. I'm so grateful for this community that wraps us in love.

But had people listened to her three years ago, the police wouldn't have been there to be able to come to her aid and to show her that "love" that she's now grateful for and to recover her car after the attackers abandoned it. When it pertains to her security, suddenly she gets why it's important. Suddenly she realizes why it's important to lock people up, and she blames the people behind the guns, not just the gun. She wants them incarcerated, not let out of custody, and to be held accountable for their actions. It's good that she now gets it, but it was true before she was personally attacked as well.

🤣