Bluegrass - where to go?

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Today was a good day, I learned something new.

Can you imagine what some of the folks around here (the "I hate southern MDer's) would think of Wise, Norton and Coeburn?:killingme

:killingmeYep. I grew up in Va. Beach, and when I went there for college I was amazed. It's a beautiful place, with beautiful people. 'Peach of a Pie'? Goodness, I almost got arrested once for 'streaking' down Main Street there... they didn't catch me..fun stuff.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:killingmeYep. I grew up in Va. Beach, and when I went there for college I was amazed. It's a beautiful place, with beautiful people. 'Peach of a Pie'? Goodness, I almost got arrested once for 'streaking' down Main Street there... they didn't catch me..fun stuff.

Ok, you caught my drift.:wink: Channel 9 news did a documentary on my family down there back in the early 90's. *I need to go google that...*

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I love Seldom Scene I've seen them a few times live! And I love the Birchmire - I saw Mary Chapin Carpenter there in the 90s. Great venue! Its very intimate and makes you feel like its only 50 people there to see them with you. :yay:
:buddies: Agreed... It's a great place.

kom526

Wow - I love Appalachia...Do you mind if I ask you your last name? PM me if you want. Kennedy?

My grandmother was a Sexton from Coeburn, her mother was a Phillips. One of my cousins did the genealogy about 20 years ago and she is convinced that some of our family were survivors from Roanoke Island.:shrug:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
My grandmother was a Sexton from Coeburn, her mother was a Phillips. One of my cousins did the genealogy about 20 years ago and she is convinced that some of our family were survivors from Roanoke Island.:shrug:

Interesting - I went to school with severakl Sexton's - I don't recall any Phillips. When was the last time you visited there?

kom526

Interesting - I went to school with severakl Sexton's - I don't recall any Phillips. When was the last time you visited there?

It's been 10-15 years I think. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it's been within the last 13 years, it was after I got married. We went down for a family reunion right before one of my great aunts died.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
It's been 10-15 years I think. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it's been within the last 13 years, it was after I got married. We went down for a family reunion right before one of my great aunts died.
I haven't been there in there in years, but would love to go back. Througout my life, I would love to give back to that commumity. Much more appreciative than SOMD and more deserving too.

luvscats

If I got my info right,

At Toot's on Sat night is The Nuttin Fancy Band. On Sunday is Snakebite.

Lil Margarets was Aug 6, 7, 8

St Mary's County Hospice - Bluegrass Festival at Flat Iron Farm – October 24

Anderson's Bar, Clements, has Bent Nickel

The Seldom Scene with special guests Mike Auldridge & Tom Gray with Darren Beachley & Legends of the Potomac

Rita's 7:30-9pm

Wow, I hadn't thought of the Seldom Scene in years. We started going to see them around '79 and on thru the 80's at the Birchmere. I took my Mom and Dad one evening years ago and Bill Monroe and band showed up. It was breathtaking. I'll never forget it. I still like the SS but they just aren't the same without John Duffy. He just brought the house town with his humor and tremendous voice. I still go see them tho and they give a terrific show! I love their old favorites.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I still like the SS but they just aren't the same without John Duffy. He just brought the house town with his humor and tremendous voice. I still go see them tho and they give a terrific show! I love their old favorites.

Duffy was a god. :yay: I loved the old Country Gentlemen..with Duffey and Charlie Waller. Charlie Waller had the most pure voice I've ever heard. I was privileged to meet him at Lil Margarets a few years back

I could listen to Mike Auldridge play the dobro forever.

kom526

Here's a link to my roots down there.

RPMDAD

seldom scene - Home

These guys are fantastic; I first saw them at a college concert in Wise, VA back in 1975. You will not be dissappointed. I would love to see them again. Highly recommended.:buddies:

I remember the SS when Mike Auldridge was playing Dobro with them years ago. I had met Mike when he was an artist for The Evening/Washington Star and remember seeing him with The Good Deale Bluegrass Band. Also used to be a lot of free Bluegrass parking lot jams at the now defunct Good Deale Bluegrass music shop.

Bluegrass for Hospice Music Festival Featuring Southern Maryland's Finest

On Saturday October 24, there will be a Bluegrass music show to raise funds for the first ever Hospice House in St. Mary’s County. Presented and coordinated by Jay Armsworthy, the “Bluegrass for Hospice” will be held at the Flat Iron Farm on Flat Iron Road in Great Mills, with many local Bluegrass bands providing entertainment beginning at Noon.

The festivities will kick off at 7 a.m. with an Arts & Crafts Fair. Then at Noon the Bluegrass will begin with some of Southern Maryland’s finest Bluegrass bands (not in this order) David Norris, Recent Addition, Jack Tippett Band, Zekiah Swamp Cats, Bubby Abell & Spoon Creek, Jay Armsworthy & Eastern Tradition, Joey Tippett & the California Ramblers, and Charlie Thompson & Bottom County Bluegrass. There will also be a Guest Star Appearance by Rounder Recording Artist Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass from Pennsylvania for one show only. Sound for the event will be provided by Troy Jones.

Tickets for the “Bluegrass for Hospice” are $15.00 in advance and $20.00 at the door. For advanced tickets make your tax-deductible contribution payable to Hospice of St. Mary’s. Please provide in the memo section of the check, “Bluegrass for Hospice” and mail along with a self addressed stamped envelope to: P.O. Box 741, California, MD, 20619. The deadline for mailing tickets will be October 10.

Bluegrass for Hospice Music Festival Featuring Southern Maryland's Finest - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I went to a festival last Saturday in WV. Pickin in the Panhandle, the WV state bluegrass and BBQ festival.

I got to see Charlie Daniels, kinda sad what he has become.

The BBQ was not very good, I went to three different places and everyone there was acting like it was the greatest thing ever.... Heck I've had better at famous daves. I've hit some good places in SOMD so I guess I am spoiled to all others now.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Sometimes B&G's Tavern in Accokeek will have Bluegrass on Saturdays.

Also at the store in the farmers market

slowlane

Check out the Southern Maryland Traditional Music and Dance Society- click here on
Southern Maryland Traditional Music and Dance

We saw the Gibson Brothers bluegrass band last year at the Hughesville Legion Hall. There were awesome, and sold-out the place.

The Sons of the American Legion Hall in HUGHESVILLE has occasional bluegrass concerts on Sundays at 2 p.m. with doors opening at noon. Shows include Blaylock & Redline from Indiana on October 11, with Jay Armsworthy and his band, Eastern Tradition.

Ralph Stanley II will play December 13.

A traditional Valentine bluegrass show with two groups from Pennsylvania, Remington Ryde and Iron Ridge, will be February 14, 2010. The Bluegrass Brothers along with up-and-coming local favorites Joey Tippett and the California Ramblers will play April 11, 2010. Tickets are $15. For a separate price, a dinner special will be served before each show - the October date will have fried chicken. Call 301-737-3004 or click here on Home - American Legion Bluegrass .