Board and Training?

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
The cost of hay isn't just related to the drought, but it played a big part. Higher gas prices make it more expensive to have it shipped in or even to bale hay yourself. Unfortunately the boarding barns can't control the weather & shouldn't have to eat the cost of higher hay prices. Some barns in the drought area have done a hay surcharge during the hay crisis. Hopefully if next years hay crop is better the surcharge will be cut out of the board or cut back some.

Everything is going up in prices not just board.

Well home prices aren't, but now I'm going :offtopic:. Oops.:lmao:

Wish you luck in finding a barn you are more content with TALLYHO. Winter is a tough time to find a place to board and barns with Indoor Rings are normally full for the winter. That or they can't find help to keep there barn full. While up at in Howard County for the Holiday's that is the case with some of the show barns in that area. Barns w/indoors have empty stalls because they can't find help to clean the stalls. Great to have a big barn with an indoor, but if you can't keep up with the work you can't have as many boarders.

Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I hope my board doesn't go up! I can't afford anymore. Hopefully I will be taking care of my horsies myself in sunny Florida. WHERE ARE OUR ORDERS!?

tallyhoe

I was thinking that red and green was Christmasy but now I am starting to think that it is a bad thing. Oh well. How do I turn green? I didn't think I said anything to bad. I did not use anyones name. I guess opinions are not well excepted around here.

L

Lara

I was thinking that red and green was Christmasy but now I am starting to think that it is a bad thing. Oh well. How do I turn green? I didn't think I said anything to bad. I did not use anyones name. I guess opinions are not well excepted around here.

Did you find someplace else to board yet? Or have you realized that your current board is not that bad compared to what else is out there.

Amy

I think people thought you might be trying to stir the pot or just trying to mess with us- ( i.e. that you don't really own a horse and just want to get this board in an uproar) You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

tallyhoe

Did you find someplace else to board yet? Or have you realized that your current board is not that bad compared to what else is out there.

My board is more than anyplace else so far in Southern Maryland. I have visited 6 other places so far. I have found some places that charge more outside the county but they also offer well known trainers and better facilities. It is just getting to heated where I am. I will leave on good terms.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
My board is more than anyplace else so far in Southern Maryland. I have visited 6 other places so far. I have found some places that charge more outside the county but they also offer well known trainers and better facilities. It is just getting to heated where I am. I will leave on good terms.

:starcat::starcat::starcat: Share, share share!!! Which barns have the well known trainers!!!:faint:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
I am pretty sure I know who you are too, and I am sure the place that is $600/mo is closer to the DC/Annapolis area, not down here. Why should I have to suffer over a hay situation that we knew was coming? It is a supply and demand. Why am I red? I have not used names or anything. I am just asking for suggestions.

We all knew there would be a hay shortage and everyone is suffering.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I have a friend with an indoor...about 15 empty stalls and full time help..she does NOT want boarders because they are a PITA..

bosox

I have found some places that charge more outside the county but they also offer well known trainers and better facilities.

Would you share? I am unfamiliar w/farms around here that offer a well known trainer. I have found a few farms that have a local trainer that has some local successes. It would be helpful to all of us to know where the BNTs are.

Thanks!

pmsmare

heated? spill the beans kiddo.....we love good gossip! not getting along with the fellow boarders? Or being lied to by the barn manager? Or did you do the ultimate no no and try and fit into the click until they needed something to do and started to mess with you out of bordem? poor baby spill the beans....:killingme Boarding with alot of different female personalities, there will always be little squabbles and clicks and misfits. Toughen up or you wont last long. Best advice, enjoy your horse and don't get too close to anyone until you see how, and who to be friends with. If they know they can play games with you, your a target for horseplay. Communicate but don't whin to fellow boarders or the Barn Manager or the Farm Owner. You will become an outcast quick.

devinej

about BNT - holly point has clinics every now and then - jan 26? i think is Carolyn Krome - hunter big name. also had Carol Hawley come last month - hunter/eq. also they sometimes have natural horsemanship trainers do clinics there - i don't know if any are on the schedule.
an excellent dressage "R" level comes in for a student or two there as well. their regular instructers are excellent as well IMO.

Begin Again Farm has an upper level dressage trainer i hear is very good too.
And that is extent of my knowledge...

bosox

I agree---LOTS of local names who are very, very good...but besides Linda Zang...this area is lacking the real big name trainers/riders.

Do you mean "r" or "R" judges?