Boat Salvage

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought this would be the place. I have come across a small catamaran that is beached way up on shore. It's obviously been there since I'm guessing Isabel. I have heard that if you salvage a vessel like this, that you can keep it. I have searched the DNR website, went to the Coast Guard Liason in our building, and called the USCG Headquarters in DC. I have searched Google, Yahoo, and Netscape all to no avail. I don't want it to sail , I want the pontoons so I can make a floating blind. Anyone know the law on this?? If nothing else, maybe someone can get their boat back. It's only about 20' to 22' feet long. TIA :popcorn:

Mikeinsmd

gumby said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought this would be the place. I have come across a small catamaran that is beached way up on shore. It's obviously been there since I'm guessing Isabel. I have heard that if you salvage a vessel like this, that you can keep it. I have searched the DNR website, went to the Coast Guard Liason in our building, and called the USCG Headquarters in DC. I have searched Google, Yahoo, and Netscape all to no avail. I don't want it to sail , I want the pontoons so I can make a floating blind. Anyone know the law on this?? If nothing else, maybe someone can get their boat back. It's only about 20' to 22' feet long. TIA :popcorn:
Does it have numbers on it? Numbers stay with a vessel for the life of the vessel. DNR should be able to track down the owner if it has numbers.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Mikeinsmd said:
Does it have numbers on it? Numbers stay with a vessel for the life of the vessel. DNR should be able to track down the owner if it has numbers.
Couldn't tell yet. I'm going back Thursday and check it out. Wanna go??

gumby said:
If it has the ID number on it, you pay a $5.00 fee to DNR to run the numbers. They will give you a copy of the information on file on said vessel, including the last registered owner's name and address. You would need to send a certified letter to them stating you have their boat. Then you'd have to post a legal notice in the paper stating you are taking title to an abandoned boat, giving a description of said vessel. After 30 days, you would then give proof of letter and legal notice and DNR would grant you title. However, if the owner comes forward, you would have to give the boat up. First thing I would do is get the numbers off the hull and have DNR run them. Try to contact the owner via phone and say, "I have found a damaged abandoned boat that appears to have been yours in the past as DNR has you as the registered owner, I would like to salvage it. Would you be willing to sign it over to me?" Not until after that would I haul the boat home. At a minimum run the numbers before taking possession (I certainly wouldn't want to be in possession if it were to come back stolen).

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
gumby said:
Couldn't tell yet. I'm going back Thursday and check it out. Wanna go??

I might be up for the look-see. Is it close to your house?

If your gonna "pine" a boat, I have some small trees I'm taking down.

CrashTest

huntr1 said:
If it has the ID number on it, you pay a $5.00 fee to DNR to run the numbers. They will give you a copy of the information on file on said vessel, including the last registered owner's name and address.

Boats without engines do not need to be registered even if it has a Hull ID#

CrashTest said:
Boats without engines do not need to be registered even if it has a Hull ID#
So you are saying that DNR would have no record of what vessel the dnr issued numbers are attached to? Highly doubt it.

CrashTest

huntr1 said:
So you are saying that DNR would have no record of what vessel the dnr issued numbers are attached to? Highly doubt it.

What I'm saying is that the DNR does not issue registration numbers to boats without motors unless the owner wants them to.

You can talk to the DNR untill you're blue in the face but if the boat was never registered with DNR, what good will it do?

bohman

CrashTest said:
What I'm saying is that the DNR does not issue registration numbers to boats without motors unless the owner wants them to.

You can talk to the DNR untill you're blue in the face but if the boat was never registered with DNR, what good will it do?

It's my understanding that any boat longer than 16' needs to be registered, even w/out a motor. My 17' canoe is registered, even though I must admit we didn't bother til I put a trolling motor on it. But you are right - if this boat was never registered (even if it should have been), you won't get anywhere with the DNR. At that point, though, it sounds to me like an abandoned boat with no identification available: finders keepers.

Mikeinsmd

CrashTest said:
What I'm saying is that the DNR does not issue registration numbers to boats without motors unless the owner wants them to. You can talk to the DNR untill you're blue in the face but if the boat was never registered with DNR, what good will it do?
You are incorrect. From the DNR website:

Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it:

is equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion;
is not currently registered with the U.S. Coast Guard (documented) and;
is being used principally in Maryland.

CrashTest

Mikeinsmd said:
You are incorrect. From the DNR website:

The engine is the key (and bohman is also correct) as well as length.

If the boat is under 16' and either has no engine or has an engine less than 7.5hp, then it needs NO DNR decals even if it has a Hull ID# (this is also from DNR)

Mikeinsmd

CrashTest said:

If the boat is under 16' and either has no engine or has an engine less than 7.5hp, then it needs NO DNR decals even if it has a Hull ID# (this is also from DNR)
It either has to be registered with the Coast Guard or MD DNR.

is not currently registered with the U.S. Coast Guard (documented)

CrashTest said:

If it's under 16' or 7.5HP, the fee is waived, not the registration requirement. If the boat is used primarilly in MD, then it has to be registered to go into public water (non-farm pond).

CrashTest

Just called DNR. She told me if you have no motor, you need no registration.

Call 1-866-688-3823. Talk to a girl named Marilyn.

gumby said:
Its mine, when can I come pick it up? Is my mast still on it?

Mikeinsmd

huntr1 said:
If it's under 16' or 7.5HP, the fee is waived, not the registration requirement. If the boat is used primarilly in MD, then it has to be registered to go into public water (non-farm pond).
Correct!!