boat trailer electrical question

tipsymcgee

Ran all new wires and fixtures on my boat trailer. Got everything working this evening before the storm. Wanted to check it again after dark and got nothing. Something get wet or what else would cause it? TIA.

Most typical problem is a good ground. Do not depend on the hitch to provide one, and if you have a tilt trailer, the ground won't pass there either. Run a solid ground wire from the tow vehicle to the trailer tongue, and from there to the rear of the trailer past the tilt.

Most typical problem is a good ground. Do not depend on the hitch to provide one, and if you have a tilt trailer, the ground won't pass there either. Run a solid ground wire from the tow vehicle to the trailer tongue, and from there to the rear of the trailer past the tilt.

:yeahthat:

Dollars to Donuts it's a ground issue.

tipsymcgee

I hooked the new four-wire component white from the vehicle to the old ground wire that was existing under the trailer tongue as it entered the stem behind the ball hookup....I guess I'll replace the old ground wire underneath there and/or jump an additional ground to somewhere else. That's the one thing I did not put new piece of wire or hardware on. Thanks.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Ran all new wires and fixtures on my boat trailer. Got everything working this evening before the storm. Wanted to check it again after dark and got nothing. Something get wet or what else would cause it? TIA.

To keep your boat trailer electricals and wires dry, try this.....

Last edited: