Boaters that go missing

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Think more like wave coming over the bow. I wasn't clear as I should be.
I had a concern while wearing it in the rain. So far no issue. If it did discharge while using it then just deflate and manually inflate if necessary.

mitzi

A little off topic but has the body of the teenager that jumped off the bridge ever been recovered? I've never seen anything that it has.

sunshine98

One would think that the Navy or Chesapeake Bay Labs could have used side scan sonar and found his body if they tried.
Can't imagine not being able to lay your family member to rest.

glhs837

Power with Control
I had a concern while wearing it in the rain. So far no issue. If it did discharge while using it then just deflate and manually inflate if necessary.

Here's the company that makes most of them. Back when I had a desk, I had one I had taken apart for demonstration to folks. One of the more fun aspects of my job is that I occasionally get told "Find out whats in this thing, and we dont need it back". :)

One would think that the Navy or Chesapeake Bay Labs could have used side scan sonar and found his body if they tried.
Can't imagine not being able to lay your family member to rest.

You do realize those sorts of scanners are pretty narrow band, and the search area here is literally gargantuan.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

This is him and what he was wearing ...

9d406a9a-dbc1-4ff4-8a16-a83f1d524f94.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Here's the company that makes most of them. Back when I had a desk, I had one I had taken apart for demonstration to folks. One of the more fun aspects of my job is that I occasionally get told "Find out whats in this thing, and we dont need it back".
I used to manage a dive shop. I'd go out with classes as support for open water classes. Part of training was to get in the water with the diver's vest, and pull the cord. Fun watching a whole class suddenly pop up like little orange whales. Even more fun swimming up to an unsuspecting victim and pull the cord for them.... :biggrin:

And then, even tho you tell them NOT TO SUCK THE AIR OUT OF THE VEST, they do. And have a coughing fit for 10 minutes while the carbonic acid created by inhaling the CO2 from the vest causes great discomfort.

glhs837

Power with Control
I used to manage a dive shop. I'd go out with classes as support for open water classes. Part of training was to get in the water with the diver's vest, and pull the cord. Fun watching a whole class suddenly pop up like little orange whales. Even more fun swimming up to an unsuspecting victim and pull the cord for them.... :biggrin:

And then, even tho you tell them NOT TO SUCK THE AIR OUT OF THE VEST, they do. And have a coughing fit for 10 minutes while the carbonic acid created by inhaling the CO2 from the vest causes great discomfort.

As part of our aircrew water survival training, you would be given an SV-2 vest. It was set up with waist and neck lobes. Set up so that one cartridge would inflate the left waist and right neck, and the other would do the opposite. The trainers were rigged so one of the beaded waist handles would trigger a good cartridge, while the other side was rigged with an empty canister. After pulling the handles after a five minute drown proofing exercise, you would rest on the two good lobes while manually inflating the other two.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

As part of our aircrew water survival training, you would be given an SV-2 vest. It was set up with waist and neck lobes. Set up so that one cartridge would inflate the left waist and right neck, and the other would do the opposite. The trainers were rigged so one of the beaded waist handles would trigger a good cartridge, while the other side was rigged with an empty canister. After pulling the handles after a five minute drown proofing exercise, you would rest on the two good lobes while manually inflating the other two.
In one water survival training class, in full gear, one had to drop everything, helmet, LBE, boots, socks, shirt, pants, all the while trying to breath when one could get their head above water. Then it was pretty easy to thread water using the legs while you tied the end of the trousers in a knot, then flapped them in the air to fill the pant legs with air to use for buoyancy and you held on, or straddled with your upper body, in the middle. It's amazing how long those wet pants wound hold air before needing to be filled again. Tight weaved cloth when wet, as the BDU's were, allowed little air to escape, which gives plenty of time to catch one's breath and leg paddle to shore or safety.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

In one water survival training class, in full gear, one had to drop everything, helmet, LBE, boots, socks, shirt, pants, all the while trying to breath when one could get their head above water. Then it was pretty easy to thread water using the legs while you tied the end of the trousers in a knot, then flapped them in the air to fill the pant legs with air to use for buoyancy and you held on, or straddled with your upper body, in the middle. It's amazing how long those wet pants wound hold air before needing to be filled again. Tight weaved cloth when wet, as the BDU's were, allowed little air to escape, which gives plenty of time to catch one's breath and leg paddle to shore or safety.

Thats navy boot camp swiming qual, using your dungarees. Allegedly one of the reasons we kept the bell bottoms so long, trapped more air :) In aircrew one of the worst was the mile swim in a flight suit.

Louise

what a terrible ordeal for the families. I worked for DNR for a while. The supervisor was a diver and salvaged many bodies. He told me that especially in cooler weather, the body will sink, lay on the bottom sometimes for MONTHS. Sometimes they get entrapped on debris, etc...
Terrible.

God bless the family in such a trying time.