Bollywood Masala

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
it is my experience that "buffet" and "good food" usually don't go together

Indian, for some reason, translates well to buffet. Bollywood Masala's lunch buffet is very good - at least the times I've had it - and we hit up an Indian place in Charlottesville that had an excellent lunch buffet. We had had dinner off the menu a couple nights before and the buffet was every bit as good as the plated meals.

punjabigyrl

Agreed but I am clueless about Indian food.

While Bollywood is OK IMHO. I think you need to venture out to get REALLY EXCELLENT indian/pakistani food try these restaurants.

Lal Qila in Windsor Mill
Address: 6901 Security Blvd, Windsor Mill, MD 21244
Phone:(410) 265-1088
Hours: Open today · 11AM–10:30PM

Shahi Grill in Gwen Oaks
Address: 1724 Woodlawn Dr, Gwynn Oak, MD 21207
Phone:(443) 436-0505
Hours: Open today · 11AM–10PM

TAJ Kabob
8511 LIBERTY ROAD
Randallstown, MD
(443) 272-6567

Allah Rakha Restaurant
Address: 1350 Dorsey Rd, Hanover, MD 21076
Phone:(410) 859-1112
Hours: Open today · 10AM–10PM

Kabob N karahi
Located in: Cloverly Village Shopping Center
Address: 15521 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20905
Phone:(301) 879-0044

Krazi Kebob (haven't tried it but herad good things) food is indian/pakistani mixed with mexican
Address: 4427 Lehigh Rd, College Park, MD 20740
Phone:(301) 864-5150

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
While Bollywood is OK IMHO. I think you need to venture out to get REALLY EXCELLENT indian/pakistani food try these restaurants.

Lal Qila in Windsor Mill

Shahi Grill in Gwen Oaks

TAJ Kabob
8511 LIBERTY ROAD
Randallstown, MD
(443) 272-6567

Allah Rakha Restaurant

Kabob N karahi

Krazi Kebob (haven't tried it but herad good things) food is indian/pakistani mixed with mexican

I've never been inclined to travel for hours just to go to a restaurant. I'm a "less the 30 minutes each way" kinda person. I guess some might...

SamSpade

I thought their lunch buffet was -- ok. Ten bucks. Just ok. Service was almost non-existent. Not rude - just - not there.

I was impressed with a Lebanese restaurant in Arlington. But like Gilligan said, wouldn't drive there just for that. But if I'm in the area, I'll stop.

Pentagon Row, 1101 S Joyce St, Arlington, VA

punjabigyrl

I was impressed with a Lebanese restaurant in Arlington. But like Gilligan said, wouldn't drive there just for that. But if I'm in the area, I'll stop.

Pentagon Row, 1101 S Joyce St, Arlington, VA

Well then, you need to try Mazagan in Arlington.

TGB

I have tried some of the restaurants that Punjabigyrl suggested. Taj is new, I know the owner haven't been able to go and check out his new dig will soon. I love Mazagan. I think this place is worth just a trip for Morrocan food and a Hookah.

Bonehead

Lal Qila in Windsor Mill

Shahi Grill in Gwen Oaks

TAJ Kabob
8511 LIBERTY ROAD
Randallstown, MD
(443) 272-6567

Allah Rakha Restaurant

Kabob N karahi

Thanks for the list !

Although I am not inclined to drive an hour or so for food.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Bamani in Arlingtoton, VA is an Afghani restaurant that has a lunch buffet. Lots of kebab meats & rice dishes on the buffet. The food has a generous amount of spices in it. That doesn't mean it's spicy, which usually translates into hot. It's spicy flavorful as opposed to bland.

I have not eaten here in a while but Casablanca in Alexandria has some decent Moroccan food. Eating there is more of an experience. They do the traditional hand washing at the table and you eat off communal dishes, some of the items you eat with your hands. The booths have lots of pillows so it's like lounging and eating. Some nights they even have belly dancers. My favorite thing they make is the chicken in phyllo dough.

warneckutz

I don't see me ever eating there. I cannot stand the smell of that stuff. Almost as bad as vapes. :lol:

:oldman:
IVape.jpg

BernieP

Resident PIA
Indian, for some reason, translates well to buffet. Bollywood Masala's lunch buffet is very good - at least the times I've had it - and we hit up an Indian place in Charlottesville that had an excellent lunch buffet. We had had dinner off the menu a couple nights before and the buffet was every bit as good as the plated meals.

sorry, nothing translates "good" into buffet. If they want to break even, not to mention make a profit, the quality of the ingredients has to be cheap. People throw away a lot more food at a buffet than they do when they order a plate. They are making it in mass, it's no longer hand crafted, freshly prepared. It's frozen, pre-cooked, etc. to keep the line going. Then it sits on the "warming" table (which may or may not keep it warm.

Hessian

14.95 for a 3 inch bowl of flavored chicken and white rice.
Unique? yes. Worth your money? Never.

The place was packed & the waiters/waitresses were hustling. Unfortunately the food took longer to prepare than I expected and the stew was unimpressive. nan is almost required so throw that on the bill too.

For the three of us: 66.00.
I have tried both locations,...and feel my $$ is better spent elsewhere. (ie Fajita's for TWO at most Tex-Mex places will run 20-26.00 and you have PLENTY to take home for leftovers)

Avoid Bolywood, save your $$.

sockgirl77

14.95 for a 3 inch bowl of flavored chicken and white rice.
Unique? yes. Worth your money? Never.

The place was packed & the waiters/waitresses were hustling. Unfortunately the food took longer to prepare than I expected and the stew was unimpressive. nan is almost required so throw that on the bill too.

For the three of us: 66.00.
I have tried both locations,...and feel my $$ is better spent elsewhere. (ie Fajita's for TWO at most Tex-Mex places will run 20-26.00 and you have PLENTY to take home for leftovers)

Avoid Bolywood, save your $$.

It's funny how opinions differ on this. I'd much rather spend the money on their indian flavors than spend any money at tex-mex restaurants. I have also walked out with enough leftovers for 2 meals after leaving Bollywood each time that I've gone. :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's funny how opinions differ on this. I'd much rather spend the money on their indian flavors than spend any money at tex-mex restaurants. I have also walked out with enough leftovers for 2 meals after leaving Bollywood each time that I've gone. :shrug:

Had lunch with sistard & niece yesterday at Okada. Leftovers for lunch today and tomorrow! :burp: