Books for 6 yr old Girl

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My granddaughter is excited about reading, and loves to be read to. I'd like to start reading chapter books to her, but I'm afraid these Nancy Drew are a bit too old for her - and quite honestly, a little dated.

Any suggestions for a series of chapter book for reading out loud to a 6 yr old?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
http://www.amazon.com/Whatever-After-1-Fairest-All/dp/0545485711

My monster LOVES these books and even better, I like reading them with her. They are a fun re-imagining of princess stories usually with a stronger female character. Target has them and we are working our way through them.

In the next year or two (shes 4) I am going to start the little house on the prairie books with her, she will be totally fascinated with the independence of the little girls.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you're going to read to her, what about the "Little House" series? Or Charlotte's Web and my favorite, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm? The Roald Dahl books were very popular with my kids, and they liked Pippi Longstocking as well.

morningrain

If she likes mysteries and if they still even makes these books I would look into the Encyclopedia Brown series. I know I read that series before getting into reading Nancy Drew.

my-thyme

Patron
Thanks for all the suggestions! I raised three boys, this raising a little girl is sure different!

my-thyme

Patron
If you're going to read to her, what about the "Little House" series? Or Charlotte's Web and my favorite, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm? The Roald Dahl books were very popular with my kids, and they liked Pippi Longstocking as well.

Went to Amazon, looking up "Little House", they had it grouped with Pippi and Charlotte as "frequently bought together". hahahaha

MarieB

I saw Anne of Green Gables in the dollar bin at Target. It would be a condensed, children's version

I love Vrai's suggestions. I have boys, so I haven't thought about any of those books in years

acommondisaster

Old Mother West Wind series by Thornton Burgess. These are classics from the early 1900's, a compilation of short stories (which makes them good for bedtime) revolving around the living things in nature. They were read to me when I was little and I read them to my kids. My son is now reading them to his sons. I believe they are part of the reason we love nature so much. If you look them up on Amazon, you'll see that they get 5 stars. The best of the best, imo. :)