Braces

frequentflier

happy to be living
We are about to dive into the whole "orthodontial" aspect of having kids with our oldest. He has an under-bite (lowers go in front of upper) and spacing issues due to not getting two teeth (baby or permanent). We went for our initial visit yesterday and I left with a strange feeling about what the Dr was telling me. I agree that my son will most likely be in braces for years but they were saying possibly through most of High School (my son just turned 9 and is in the 3rd grade). He was also talking about using implants to fill in the spaces where he didn't get teeth. I've never heard of putting implants in a child. I've never known anyone who's had braces more than 3 years except those rare case where the teeth are really jacked up.

I am planning on calling the dentist to get another referral for a second opinion but does having braces for about 8 years seem rather strange to anyone but me? I'm not going to say that this guy is only after the money as he really does seem genuine in helping fix the problem but that just seems way too long a time span to get work done.

Another thing that caught my attention is that this Dr rarely looked me in the eyes when talking to me. He'd look at the floor and table more than he looked at me. Generally, people who won't/can't look a person in the eye aren't telling the truth.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow your intuition...try some of the others people have suggested. Wish I had followed my gut feelings on more occasions than I can count!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Attachments

• braces1.jpg
    braces1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 77

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I wore braces for 11 years, I think.

The first time for 4 years. Didn't wear my retainer.
The second time for 4 years. Didn't regularly wear my retainer.
The third time for 3 years.

If anything else happens to my teeth, I'm getting them all pulled. :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Chicklet gets her molds next Friday and her top braces the following Friday.

That's so cool. Mine will be jealous. She got 2 appliances last month - bottom one is glued in and the top one is a hot pink removeable retainer that she only takes out when she eats and brushes. I get to crank that one once a week. :dude: She still has a few baby teeth that need to fall out before the braces can go on, though.

Mama_Mia08

Who Was the Dr? I see Dr Kuhns and I really like him. 8 Years does seem like a long time for braces. As for the implates did he indicate that he would do them this young because I would think they couldn't put them in till after the braces are out.

Yep, Dr. Kuhn is great. Their hours are a little inconvenient, but it is worth it. I go there and he said I should have them off in 9 months. I did transfer from another orthodontist who I saw when we lived in another state. My total treatment time will end up being about 3 years including the retainers I'll have. I had major crowding and an over bite. I would definitely get another opinion. I also went for a consult w/Dr. Koterwas by the K-mart on 235. He was a little more expensive then Kuhn for my treatment. Plus he wanted $500 for x-rays. That was double what Dr. Kuhn wanted.

Mama_Mia08

I just thought of something I wanted to add..If they do end up getting braces at a young age...Make sure they brush them and take very good care of the teeth..Younger children won't be as worried about it...Because if they don't they can end up having white spots on the teeth that will be permanent.

I wish someone would have told me that when I was young. I had braces for a year when I was 10 and did not brush properly. When the braces came off I ended up having a yellowish colored line on my front tooth where the edge of the braces were. It is permanent and I was so self conscious about it growing up. I asked a cosmetic dentists years ago (before I had my current braces put on) and he said the only way to really get rid of it was grinding it out and putting some kind of coating on it. Even then it may just get lighter. At the time it would have cost me $600. If I would have listened the first time about brushing, then wore the retainers like I was supposed to I would have straight white teeth that my parents paid for. Instead I paid over 4K for my braces now and will pay god knows what to have the spot corrected. Ugh....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That's so cool. Mine will be jealous. She got 2 appliances last month - bottom one is glued in and the top one is a hot pink removeable retainer that she only takes out when she eats and brushes. I get to crank that one once a week. :dude: She still has a few baby teeth that need to fall out before the braces can go on, though.

I saw that on Wednesday when I picked up N. :yay:

I think the braces are a rite of passage for them. :lol:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I think the braces are a rite of passage for them. :lol:

Agreed. She's thrilled about it. Middle gets glasses next week, and Old was bummed that she didn't need those, too!! Whoooooaaaaa partner, slow down...1 major expense at a time per child is enough! Ha!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Agreed. She's thrilled about it. Middle gets glasses next week, and Old was bummed that she didn't need those, too!! Whoooooaaaaa partner, slow down...1 major expense at a time per child is enough! Ha!

Chick wanted those too last year. She was bummed when the Dr. told her she had 20/20 vision. :lol:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Son went for his xrays and moldings today. Has 4 appointments over the course of 5 weeks, culminating in finally getting his braces.