Broomes Island Stoney's

mitzi

A lot of the "fresh" shrimp sold in grocery stores (Wegman's in this case) is actually previously frozen. They open up a frozen bag and let it thaw on the ice in the case and sell it for a couple of bucks more than the already frozen shrimp. Once that sells, they do it over again.

That makes sense. We're under the impression it's fresh. One grocery I know of does the same with meat. It comes to them frozen, their meat department packages it up. So it's been frozen, defrosted. We buy it and take it home and put it in the freezer again. No wonder nothing has any taste anymore.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That makes sense. We're under the impression it's fresh. One grocery I know of does the same with meat. It comes to them frozen, their meat department packages it up. So it's been frozen, defrosted. We buy it and take it home and put it in the freezer again. No wonder nothing has any taste anymore.

I've been trying to buy more local and organic meats. It makes a difference.

mitzi

Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.

Never thought of it that way, but I'm sure now my steamed shrimp has been frozen. Yes, I'd rather it be frozen during shipment now that I think about it. Same with the fish. I guess the only way it's truly "fresh" is if you or someone you know actually caught the fish that day and you made it at home. Now there is no comparison to taste when it comes to that.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.

Most of the fish that Foxhound eats is local to where we are. Florida, Maryland, South Carolina, etc.

Flash frozen shrimp is one thing, but that pre-breaded frozen shrimp is ghastly. :blech:

Catman2

Mostt of the fish that Foxhound eats is local to where we are. Florida, Maryland, South Carolina, etc.

Flash frozen shrimp is one thing, but that pre-breaded frozen shrimp is ghastly. :blech:
There are only two kinds of shrimp.....frozen and rotting.

OldHillcrestGuy

Even Jerry's doesn't use Maryland crabs for his crabcakes, from what I've read about his restaurant. However, I believe they're fresh made and not frozen pre-made/processed.
QUOTE]

I believe Jerry's crab meat comes from Venezuela. Might be fresh if its Friday, through Sunday, but some of the seafood is frozen after close of business on Sunday and used again when they reopen on Thursday. I have heard this is a common practice at some restaurants that close on Sundays and might not reopen for a couple or several days. Since hearing this Im not going to some place like Jerry's on a Thursday after being closed for 3 days, I'll wait till Saturday or Sunday when the fresher seafood arrives.

Catman2

I know this is a Stoneys thread, not a seafood thread . I am not a rich man but I insist on quality . I buy crab meat from one seafood shop, pay a little more, and it pays off.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
From the Calvert Recorder:
Mortgage foreclosure sale of this property on 6/29 at the Calvert County courthouse.

Did the mortgage sale happen ?

NO IT DID NOT GO TO FORECLOSURE!!!
I am friends with the owner and she was in the middle of refinancing and the 'old' bank didn't like her going to a different bank so they 'called' the loan while she was in process with the new one!!!

and may I suggest that instead of bashing her or her business(s) you talk to her about issues you may encounter at any of her locations instead of here. Jeannie will make things right, you just have to bring it to her attention!!!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

NO IT DID NOT GO TO FORECLOSURE!!! I am friends with the owner and she was in the middle of refinancing and the 'old' bank didn't like her going to a different bank so they 'called' the loan while she was in process with the new one!!! and may I suggest that instead of bashing her or her business(s) you talk to her about issues you may encounter at any of her locations instead of here. Jeannie will make things right, you just have to bring it to her attention!!!

Uh huh. Sure. So she just stopped making her regular payments during a refinance? A bank isn't going to waste money and "call" a loan unless there is good reason. Not paying on time, as in this case, is good reason. Funny how in the legal notice it said as the reason, "default having occurred". That means payments were stopped or were late.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am friends with the owner and she was in the middle of refinancing and the 'old' bank didn't like her going to a different bank so they 'called' the loan while she was in process with the new one!!!

and may I suggest that instead of bashing her or her business(s) you talk to her about issues you may encounter at any of her locations instead of here. Jeannie will make things right, you just have to bring it to her attention!!!

I didn't bash the owner or the business. I just stated our experience at Stoney's Broomes Island and stated what we did about it. There was a tread about it, which is why I shared our experiences. We have given our critique on many restaurants and businesses here, and I suspect we will continue to do so.

Hank

my war

Whatever. The food sucks....

luvmygdaughters

I'm sure she has had complaints, my daughters and I complained and nothing was done. I believe someone else here complained and nothing was done at that time.

3CATSAILOR

If I may ...

Not just that one. Also her flagship, Stoney's Kingfishers on da island man. Seems to owe north of $2,900,000. Seems she's in quite a pickle, now don't it?

Yeah, just raise the price of the crab cake again. It should just about cover it. :lmao:

acommondisaster

I've only been twice, when we were hunting for a wedding venue. Such a pretty setting, we were enchanted from the start. Ate there and we were kind of "meh", but knew out of town guests would be wowed (think NYC/NJ types who think Red Lobster is the bomb). Second visit was to talk wedding; my daughter-in-law felt less than special - and if they couldn't get enthusiastic about hosting her wedding, she felt they probably would be hard to work with and she would be disappointed. My DIL is a realist, not a princess - I understood what she meant. Nice venue, but not for us. Hope changes are in the works as it would be sad to see a privately owned place like this go under. I just hate chain restaurants.

officeguy

That's what I would tell my friends too. Oh wait, I wouldn't tell that story to my friends because it doesn't make sense. 'Servicing risk' (the risk of someone paying off early) is just a part of the business model and calling a loan that is being paid according to terms would be of no benefit to the bank or servicer.