Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Buddy Lee

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Where is the Brubeck concert? Man I thought he was retired. The guy is a giant.

He's playing at the Warner Theater in DC on April 18th. Amazing he's still going at 85, isn't it? I've seen him once before at Wolf Trap at least 10 years ago and am looking forward to seeing him again. One of the true legends of jazz indeed. :cheers:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
BL has beat me up pretty bad on the Redskins. He's koolaide drinker. Skins can do no wrong.

How about I make my decision on whether they are Jazzheads or not.

Aps?

BL?

I like all kinds of music,
both Country and Western

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Sunrise.....Sunset

:yay:

Among many others but that is one of the best. One of my favorites is his work with Miles Davis on "Bitches Brew" - the improvisation on "I Fall in Love Too Easily" between the two is absolutely amazing. :clap:

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Now I know there is a difference but tell me...

...what is it that makes Jazz and Blues different?

Wow, how much time do you have, grasshopper? :lol: :huggy:

Jazz actually came from Blues so there's a lot of commonality there. But they've taken different paths along the way. These two articles go into great detail about the similarities and differences:

Jazz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After reading them, listen to the samples and you will be able to hear the differences...and similarities. :smile:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Wow, how much time do you have, grasshopper? :lol: :huggy:

Jazz actually came from Blues so there's a lot of commonality there. But they've taken different paths along the way. These two articles go into great detail about the similarities and differences:

Jazz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After reading them, listen to the samples and you will be able to hear the differences...and similarities. :smile:
WooHoo! Something to learn.

Thanks Massa' Jazz.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Now I know there is a difference but tell me...

...what is it that makes Jazz and Blues different?

...blues is pattern based, very simple patterns. The drums and the bass do the same thing over and over again, throw in some little accents here and there and provide the backbone of the song which is the story it tells, be it heartbreak, tough times, dog got run over, etc, and then the guitar comes in and tells the story with the emotions of the leads in place of the words.

Words "Damn right, I got the blues..."

then...

Guitar "wanh, wanh, wanh, wanhhhhhhhhhh"

Jazz, allegedly, is pattern based as well but is more free form for the other instruments, the bass, the piano, the drums, than the rigid, repetitive adherence of the rhythm section in blues.

The 'backbone' in jazz can be the drums and/or the bass and/or the piano and/or the guitar, and everyone plays off of that coming back, mysteriously, to the central theme in what amounts to 'how about that!?' moments as opposed to the predictable timing and familiar patterns of blues.

Jazz is basically blues players who suffer, greatly, from attention deficit disorder. People who like it are typically people with far more education than should be allowed. They 'get' it while the rest of us look at it likes cows to an oncoming train. Jazz fans are terrible snobs about the whole thing as well.

There will be a few along shortly to correct me. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Perfect!!!

if you play one of the videos at a time, it's kinda like blues!

If you play them both, at the same time...

Jazz!!!

:lmao:

PsyOps

Pixelated
if you play one of the videos at a time, it's kinda like blues!

If you play them both, at the same time...

Jazz!!!

:lmao:

Well awwwlllright... now you're learnin'. But be careful. No ODs. Most of you uneducated slugs have to go slow or your head will implode. And definitely DO NOT play it backwards.