Bush overtime plan: A slap in the in the face to Americans Veterans

Sparx

Bush Overtime Plan: A Slap in the Face to America’s Veterans

Vietnam-era veteran Randy Fleming says the Bush administration is breaking the deal Fleming and other military veterans made with the government when they enlisted.

“When I signed up in 1973, the Air Force and I made a deal that I thought was fair. They got a chunk of my time and I got training to help me build the rest of my life. There was no part of that deal that said I would have to give up my overtime pay.”

But Fleming and other veterans face the loss of overtime pay protections because of the Bush administration’s nearly yearlong battle to eliminate overtime pay guarantees in the Fair Labor Standards Act that could cost as many as 8 million workers their overtime pay.

Fleming, an engineering technician at the Boeing Co.’s metrology lab near Wichita, Kan., says the training he received during the five years he served his country qualified him “for a good civilian job. Now they are using this ‘military penalty’ to cancel that bargain.”

Bush and Republican Leaders Kill Effort to Save Overtime Pay Protections

On Jan. 22, Bush and Senate Republican leaders killed a filibuster against a massive spending bill. Backers of the filibuster had fought to include an amendment to block the overtime pay protection attack that previously had been approved by the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives.

Labor Secretary Elaine Chao says the U.S. Department of Labor plans to implement in March sweeping rules that could deny overtime pay protection to as many as 8 million workers, but AFL-CIO President John Sweeney says the fight against the Bush overtime pay protection elimination is far from over. Several senators have vowed to keep up the legislative fight against the Bush proposal by seeking to add amendments to upcoming bills that would block the rules.

The military penalty aspect of Bush’s overtime assault received little press or congressional notice until AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Richard Trumka’s Senate testimony.

“Under the Bush proposal, if an employer determines that the training veterans have received in the military is equivalent to a four-year professional degree, that employer will now be allowed to deny those veterans overtime eligibility and refuse to pay them anything for overtime work,” says Trumka, who testified on the Bush overtime scheme before the Senate Appropriations Labor subcommittee Jan. 20. “This proposal is offensive.”

Chao also appeared at the hearing and, when subcommittee Chairman Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) quizzed her about the overtime rule’s military penalty, didn’t address the issue of overtime for veterans. Instead, Chao told the panel soldiers on active duty don’t receive overtime pay.

“The Bush proposal could take away overtime for military veterans. It breaks the faith with these patriotic Americans who have served us so well,” says Sen. Edward Kennedy (D–Mass.).

Fleming said he had a proposal for lawmakers, Bush and “all those who want to let these military penalty rules go through. If you think it’s okay for the government to renege on deals, I think it should be your job to tell our military men and women in Iraq that when they come home, their service to their country could be used as a way to cut their overtime pay.”

Working Families Send 300,000 E-mails—White House Blocks Deliveries

Working families are continuing their fight to stop Bush’s attack on overtime. Since the Department of Labor announced the proposal last year, workers have sent more than 1.5 million e-mails, letters and faxes to the White House, the Labor Department and Congress protesting Bush’s attempt to take away overtime pay protections. In recent weeks, 300,000 workers signed online and hand-distributed petitions calling on Bush to withdraw his overtime take-away proposal, and since Jan. 16, more than 230,000 workers sent faxes to their senators urging them to support the filibuster and protect overtime. Those 230,000 messages were copied to the Bush White House.

The White House has apparently set up a blocking system as e-mails from union activist groups and other advocacy groups are not being delivered to the White House e-mail system. Those sending the e-mail messages are not being notified that their messages are not getting through. The White House has not responded to requests for information about the e-mail blocking.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by Sparx

Vietnam-era veteran Randy Fleming says the Bush administration is breaking the deal Fleming and other military veterans made with the government when they enlisted.

“When I signed up in 1973, the Air Force and I made a deal that I thought was fair. They got a chunk of my time and I got training to help me build the rest of my life. There was no part of that deal that said I would have to give up my overtime pay.”

But Fleming and other veterans face the loss of overtime pay protections because of the Bush administration’s nearly yearlong battle to eliminate overtime pay guarantees in the Fair Labor Standards Act that could cost as many as 8 million workers their overtime pay.

Fleming, an engineering technician at the Boeing Co.’s metrology lab near Wichita, Kan., says the training he received during the five years he served his country qualified him “for a good civilian job. Now they are using this ‘military penalty’ to cancel that bargain.”

On Jan. 22, Bush and Senate Republican leaders killed a filibuster against a massive spending bill. Backers of the filibuster had fought to include an amendment to block the overtime pay protection attack that previously had been approved by the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives.

Labor Secretary Elaine Chao says the U.S. Department of Labor plans to implement in March sweeping rules that could deny overtime pay protection to as many as 8 million workers, but AFL-CIO President John Sweeney says the fight against the Bush overtime pay protection elimination is far from over. Several senators have vowed to keep up the legislative fight against the Bush proposal by seeking to add amendments to upcoming bills that would block the rules.

The military penalty aspect of Bush’s overtime assault received little press or congressional notice until AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Richard Trumka’s Senate testimony.

“Under the Bush proposal, if an employer determines that the training veterans have received in the military is equivalent to a four-year professional degree, that employer will now be allowed to deny those veterans overtime eligibility and refuse to pay them anything for overtime work,” says Trumka, who testified on the Bush overtime scheme before the Senate Appropriations Labor subcommittee Jan. 20. “This proposal is offensive.”

Chao also appeared at the hearing and, when subcommittee Chairman Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) quizzed her about the overtime rule’s military penalty, didn’t address the issue of overtime for veterans. Instead, Chao told the panel soldiers on active duty don’t receive overtime pay.

“The Bush proposal could take away overtime for military veterans. It breaks the faith with these patriotic Americans who have served us so well,” says Sen. Edward Kennedy (D–Mass.).

Fleming said he had a proposal for lawmakers, Bush and “all those who want to let these military penalty rules go through. If you think it’s okay for the government to renege on deals, I think it should be your job to tell our military men and women in Iraq that when they come home, their service to their country could be used as a way to cut their overtime pay.”

Working families are continuing their fight to stop Bush’s attack on overtime. Since the Department of Labor announced the proposal last year, workers have sent more than 1.5 million e-mails, letters and faxes to the White House, the Labor Department and Congress protesting Bush’s attempt to take away overtime pay protections. In recent weeks, 300,000 workers signed online and hand-distributed petitions calling on Bush to withdraw his overtime take-away proposal, and since Jan. 16, more than 230,000 workers sent faxes to their senators urging them to support the filibuster and protect overtime. Those 230,000 messages were copied to the Bush White House.

The White House has apparently set up a blocking system as e-mails from union activist groups and other advocacy groups are not being delivered to the White House e-mail system. Those sending the e-mail messages are not being notified that their messages are not getting through. The White House has not responded to requests for information about the e-mail blocking.
Source?

ceo_pte

liberal slant... Edward Kennedy does not belong in the same article as a member of the armed forces. I assume their is more to this plan than what is said here.

Besides, I don't get OT! I work 8 to 8.5 hrs. for 8 hrs pay.... That's the deal I made with my company. If I don't like it, I will leave. I am pretty sure the overtime protection deal is a little more in depth than this article leads one to believe.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was unaware that active duty military received OT pay.

And what does "overtime for veterans" mean? If you're a vet, you're not active duty, right? So you're not even working, therefore wouldn't be entitled to any overtime.

Can someone explain this to me?

I can, however, understand why the White House would block mass emails that clog up their system.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And what does this mean:
Did this guy get fired from Boeing or something?

ceo_pte

Originally posted by vraiblonde
I was unaware that active duty military received OT pay.

And what does "overtime for veterans" mean? If you're a vet, you're not active duty, right? So you're not even working, therefore wouldn't be entitled to any overtime.

Can someone explain this to me?

I can, however, understand why the White House would block mass emails that clog up their system.

it's referring to civilians. former military civilians, but I am sure this is not all the information you need to understand the full scope of this bill.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
And what does this mean:

Did this guy get fired from Boeing or something?

I don't think so. My take on this is they are trying to quantify the military training into the civilian world of exempt/non-exempt.

ceo_pte

Fleming, an engineering technician at the Boeing Co.’s metrology lab near Wichita, Kan., says the training he received during the five years he served his country qualified him “for a good civilian job. Now they are using this ‘military penalty’ to cancel that bargain.”for a good civilian job

Never heard of such a thing? :confused:

ceo_pte

All Senate testimony is public information..I can't do it all for you

They want to know where you got the post from? Not all the testimonies! Just the website where you got what you posted from.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, I think I get it now. Bush wants to eliminate federally mandated overtime pay guarantees - as in companies aren't required to pay overtime. Some of the people who may have their overtime taken away are former military personnel. Therefore the Democrats have decided to spin this as Bush taking money from veterans.

Is that about right?

Vince

Works for me. I'm a veteran. If he says my military training is equivalent to a four year degree that's just fine. Tell me what the degree is, give me an equivalency diploma for that degree and I'll put in for jobs that require the four year degree. Otherwise, pay the overtime.

Sparx

I've seen how these boards work. If I give you the source you would just bash that and take the debate way out in left field. Much better to look up the Senate testimony on your own. Hopefully, you will see it for yourself.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I've seen how these boards work. If I give you the source you would just bash that and take the debate way out in left field. Much better to look up the Senate testimony on your own. Hopefully, you will see it for yourself.
And hopefully you will pull your head out of your ass. I'm a democrat, but I'm not an idiot. I want the source so that I may make an educated decision on whether or not I agree with the article in question. Grow up. There's more to life than bashing Bush.

Pete

Repete

What pinko rag wrote that? PRAVDA?

This whiney wretched tard is insulting in that he is trying to link his veterans status to him qualifying for overtime, and you are a total tard for believing his assertions. FLSA was an act that was designed to protect hourly or unskilled workers form tyrranical employers. He is neither, he is a "professional" who gained the equivalent of a 4 year degree in the form of military training. This expert training has allowed him to earn a higher wage for years. Now the rules are changing and he is being classed what he really is and not what loophole he could climb through.

This is sooooooo freaking typical of a pinko Democrat. Instead of focusing on your party's mantra of "The party of the poor and downtrodden" " The party who cares about ordinary Americans" you snicker like a school girl who has discovered a dirty little secret about your arch rival. This guy is not downtrodden, poor, under privledged, or unskilled he probably makes more than you do. You are mad because he has been bilking the system for years and now he is being re-classed to what he should have been for years and his gravy train is over? You are mad because government modified rules to allow employment law be more readily tailored for today? YES 8 MILLION PEOPLE WHO PROBABLY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN GETTING OT IN THE FIRST PLACE MAY NOT GET IT ANYMORE. WAAAAAAAAAA Trade the Escalade in on a Mercury to make ends meet. I am a veteran and I would spit on this whiner if he started that "broken promise" crap.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeesh, Pete - taking your sig line a little seriously, aren't you? :lmao:

So what does this mean? Spell it out in plain English. It's my understanding that the Bush proposal wants to take away federally mandated overtime pay for people who make over $65,000 per year. It's also my understanding that companies can still pay overtime to these people if they want to - they just aren't REQUIRED to under federal law.

If this isn't right, give me an education, please.