Buyers Beware!!!!

M

Mousebaby

Did you follow the directions for acclimating your fish to the tank??

You pour water from your tank into the bag they came in.. a little at a time, over a good amount of time, while floating the bad in the tank..

When you are done acclimating you should dispose of ALL the water in the bag, then release your fish into your tank.

If it's a new tank and you are putting fish into it for the first time, it's going to be chemically/ biologically out of whach for a few weeks until the tank ages, and the bacteria grows.

Usually with a new tank you buy "aging"g fish, to age the tank, and than after they die (due to the screwy levels the first few weeks) you tank has been aged, and you can buy the fish you want.

Guppies on the other hand.. will never die, and you just wasted a lot of money on unnecessary chemicals to get your tank perfect.

Ok, noted, but all the guppies I had in there did die. Then I got more. I did not know about acclimating that way. I did let the bags sit in the tank for 30 mins. cause that's how we did it when I was a kid. I know NOTHING about fish :lol: but I am learning. That is why I got guppies to start with. I wanted something cheap and hardy! :yay:

jetmonkey

Ok, noted, but all the guppies I had in there did die. Then I got more. I did not know about acclimating that way. I did let the bags sit in the tank for 30 mins. cause that's how we did it when I was a kid. I know NOTHING about fish :lol: but I am learning. That is why I got guppies to start with. I wanted something cheap and hardy! :yay:
Catfish do not eat turds.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

You killed all your guppies... I'm surprised.

Didn't think you could kill them. (Granted I've never had guppies)

M

Mousebaby

You killed all your guppies... I'm surprised.

Didn't think you could kill them. (Granted I've never had guppies)

Yeah, apparently they don't do too well in acidic, nitrate filled water. :shrug: Who knew? :lmao:

MightyWarMonger

Ok at three weeks after setting up you're tank it has barely cycled Witch means that that amonia is the first thing to spike in you're tank till bacteria is built up to consume the amonia, then you're nitrites will spike till a diferant bacteria builds up to consume it then you're nitrates will spike do to detrus and fish feces and the only way to get rid of it is to do water changes around 30% of tank volume. after that you're tank is cycled and ready for fish. You must ad fish slowly 1 mabye 2 at a time because the bacteria will need to grow due to the new bioload from the fish added so if you add to many at one time you're nitrates will spike because you have not let the bacteria grow enugh to handle the bioload to the tank and catfish produce a huge bioload. second add you're tankwater to the fish in the bag as described erlier to aclimate them then I pour the bag out over a net into the sink then just add the fish from there. you have more chance of parasites from the water than nitrate levels Most of my fish com from petco but they don't always have the best selection ;) but also know the smaller the tank the faster the water conditions can change on you.

Last edited:
M

Mousebaby

Ok at three weeks after setting up you're tank it has barely cycled Witch means that that amonia is the first thing to spike in you're tank till bacteria is built up to consume the amonia, then you're nitrites will spike till a diferant bacteria builds up to consume it then you're nitrates will spike do to detrus and fish feces and the only way to get rid of it is to do water changes around 30% of tank volume. after that you're tank is cycled and ready for fish. You must ad fish slowly 1 mabye 2 at a time because the bacteria will need to grow due to the new bioload from the fish added so if you add to many at one time you're nitrates will spike because you have not let the bacteria grow enugh to handle the bioload to the tank and catfish produce a huge bioload. second add you're tankwater to the fish in the bag as described erlier to aclimate them then I pour the bag out over a net into the sink then just add the fish from there. you have more chance of parasites from the water than nitrate levels hope this helps ;)

Ok did all this and then momma guppy dropped another batch of babies! :faint: So today I did the 30% change and things are OK for the moment. I swear! Does ANYONE want any baby guppies?? I also have 4 VERY healthy black molly babies up for grabs! I have went from a 5 gallon tank to having a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon to support all these fish and then she drops another load on me the other day! I thought I got her away from the daddy before she got knocked up again. He musta been up her stuff as soon as she had the last ones! :faint:

MightyWarMonger

with guppies you are always going to have this problem they breed worese than cockroaches or rabits or whatever else breed at that rate. also you will need to do a 30%-40% water change every 2 -3 weeks to keep the nitrate levels down from the detrus making them rise

M

Mousebaby

with guppies you are always going to have this problem they breed worese than cockroaches or rabits or whatever else breed at that rate. also you will need to do a 30%-40% water change every 2 -3 weeks to keep the nitrate levels down from the detrus making them rise

:doh:

As if I didn't have enough to do around here! :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Punctuation is your friend.

I believe the word you are searching for is "detritus".

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ok at three weeks after setting up you're tank it has barely cycled Witch means that that amonia is the first thing to spike in you're tank till bacteria is built up to consume the amonia, then you're nitrites will spike till a diferant bacteria builds up to consume it then you're nitrates will spike do to detrus and fish feces and the only way to get rid of it is to do water changes around 30% of tank volume. after that you're tank is cycled and ready for fish. You must ad fish slowly 1 mabye 2 at a time because the bacteria will need to grow due to the new bioload from the fish added so if you add to many at one time you're nitrates will spike because you have not let the bacteria grow enugh to handle the bioload to the tank and catfish produce a huge bioload. second add you're tankwater to the fish in the bag as described erlier to aclimate them then I pour the bag out over a net into the sink then just add the fish from there. you have more chance of parasites from the water than nitrate levels Most of my fish com from petco but they don't always have the best selection ;) but also know the smaller the tank the faster the water conditions can change on you.

Please tell me you're a third grader who's mommy lets him have a fish tank in his room.

Oh wait, I just caught your username. You're one of those smart Marines aren't you?

MightyWarMonger

Please tell me you're a third grader who's mommy lets him have a fish tank in his room.

Oh wait, I just caught your username. You're one of those smart Marines aren't you?

HA HA I was a Marine and as far as spelling/grammer (SEE SIG) I was not giving a spelling or grammer lessons I was just trying to help him out with his tank and explane why he was having trouble with his tank and was in a big hurry while typing it they do have a spell check button but I don't really care bout my spelling besides I don't need to spell to be a Marine just need to know how to kill so thanks for the totally off topic post.

Last edited: