• Dish

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We switched from Comcast to DirecTV in Sept 2009 and are very happy. Customer service is 1000 time better with DTV than Comcast. Bill is a lot less too and it's bundled with our phone and internet, so there's only one bill to pay. Even during all those snow storms, we never lost signal with DTV. I can't say that about cable. We were always losing the picture, even for no apparent reason.

BOHDEN

I voted for Dish, only because that is all we know. The problem is the two places that we have lived at are in areas that don't have cable. I used to work for a subcontactor for Comcast 20 some years ago and the first place of the two, I would ask him when would we ever get cable there he told me "When Pigs Fly"..... Well after we moved from there and moved to where we are now, I want to say about a year and a half later that first houses area got cable. I haven't seen any Pigs Flying??????:whistle::whistle:

Last edited:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
DirecTV - no DISH Network. Only thing we had available 12 years ago. We have Cable internet, but decided to stay with DirecTV becuase of the channel lineup was more to our liking. have it in the RV too.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Now I was considering this myself..I have always had cable..because when we had a dish when I was younger the tv went out for every little gust of wind/rain storm... is that not the case anymore?

lovinmaryland

Now I was considering this myself..I have always had cable..because when we had a dish when I was younger the tv went out for every little gust of wind/rain storm... is that not the case anymore?

We have had direct tv for quite a while now and the only issue we have had is when we had that big snow storm. It took a little more than half a day for it to melt enough for us to get signal again. Occasionally if we get a lot of rain it will go out for a minute or two but nothing major.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Our dish is on the ground so we were able to clear it off. The only time we lose signal is when really bad storms are to the south. But we've lost our cable internet too, because guess where they get their signals? Yup - satellite.

SamSpade

After ten years of DirecTV we're going to cable. We've had it up to here with surly inept support people. The switch over will save us, as we are bundling everything together and the cost for HD is minimal.

No more outages during storms or snow, no more poor reception, no more scheduling a tech to come out next week to restore service.

Which is a shame, really. As far as ease of use, DirecTV has them all beat, and when it works, it works well. Twice this year we've been without service for more than a week at a time, and we've had equipment also fail us twice. When we switched to cable internet, the tech guys arrived in AN HOUR - not sometime next week.

I've always said that excellent service always trumps excellent product.

Nanny Pam

After ten years of DirecTV we're going to cable. We've had it up to here with surly inept support people. The switch over will save us, as we are bundling everything together and the cost for HD is minimal.

No more outages during storms or snow, no more poor reception, no more scheduling a tech to come out next week to restore service.

Which is a shame, really. As far as ease of use, DirecTV has them all beat, and when it works, it works well. Twice this year we've been without service for more than a week at a time, and we've had equipment also fail us twice. When we switched to cable internet, the tech guys arrived in AN HOUR - not sometime next week.

I've always said that excellent service always trumps excellent product.

Yes, service really counts in my book, too. I called comcast yesterday to let them know we'd be switching to Dish, if we couldn't bring the price down. I was paying 124.96 per month ans they reduced it to 77.40 per month for 1 year. Then it will go back up. I won't lose any channels. Everything will remain the same. They just reduced the price. Go figure. So it looks like I'll stay with Comcast for another year. :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
You get a local forcast on the weather channel with cable, usually every 10 minutes.

Don't get that with satellite

garyt27

INAFJ
Dish- Cable

Went to Dish Network because Comcast On Demand never worked when I wanted to watch it. Also I never received a bill that was the same after the initial promo period. Also they charge rental fees on everything. I had the triple play package now I just have Comcast High Speed Internet. Bought the Magic Jack, can't recommend that, though it is cheap. Any way saved a bundle. I don't have the rental fees. I do miss TWC local weather though. But I just go to WUSA9.com and get it. I had the service guy here rom Comcast like 6 times in 2 mos. that was a pain.

DEEKAYPEE8569

We switched from Comcast to DirecTV in Sept 2009 and are very happy. Customer service is 1000 time better with DTV than Comcast. Bill is a lot less too and it's bundled with our phone and internet, so there's only one bill to pay. Even during all those snow storms, we never lost signal with DTV. I can't say that about cable. We were always losing the picture, even for no apparent reason.

I want to get satellite TV and I have heard/read all kinds of good things about DirecTV. I'm just gonna have to do a little more research and consulting with someone I know who is better versed in this kinda stuff; before I really commit to anything.

royhobie

hobieflyer
I've been there, done that with all 3. Comcast is expensive and doesn't have as much to offer, with some problems with snowy channels from time to time. Customer service however is good with Comcast. DirectTV has a wide range of clear channels. But, customer service is piss more with DirectTV. I then gave up on DirectTV for that reason. Went to Dish. Same if not better selection for cheaper price at the time, although all of them are not about the same. However, customer service tops DirectTV every time. The only draw back with DirectTV or Dish is the signal may go out, depending upon heavy cloud cover or rain. It has to be heavy, with thick clouds. Moderate overcast will not do it. Also, DirectTV and Dish do not provide as good local weather, although Dish and DirectTV are attempting to get better in this area. They still have a way to go.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
I want to get satellite TV and I have heard/read all kinds of good things about DirecTV. I'm just gonna have to do a little more research and consulting with someone I know who is better versed in this kinda stuff; before I really commit to anything.
Now may be a good time to subscribe to DirecTV. From now until July 21, new subscribers can get the $10 HD fee waived for the life of the account provided you have an HD receiver or HD-DVR and pay by auto pay. Current subscribers can get a $10 credit on the HD fee for 24 months(also need HD receiver/HD-DVR and pay by auto pay). DishNET has a Free HD for life deal also with similar restrictions to DirecTV.
In my experience, if the installer sets up the system and aims the dish properly, you will have minimal problems.
As for local weather. It's a lot better over the past year. All currently shipped receivers/dvrs have the ability to view active content similar to TWC local on the 8's when tuned to TWC. It will be displayed at the same time local on the 8's would normally be displayed.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Now may be a good time to subscribe to DirecTV. From now until July 21, new subscribers can get the $10 HD fee waived for the life of the account provided you have an HD receiver or HD-DVR and pay by auto pay. Current subscribers can get a $10 credit on the HD fee for 24 months(also need HD receiver/HD-DVR and pay by auto pay). DishNET has a Free HD for life deal also with similar restrictions to DirecTV.
In my experience, if the installer sets up the system and aims the dish properly, you will have minimal problems.
As for local weather. It's a lot better over the past year. All currently shipped receivers/dvrs have the ability to view active content similar to TWC local on the 8's when tuned to TWC. It will be displayed at the same time local on the 8's would normally be displayed.

Well, from a purely physical perspective, I have a "small window" between the trees that can be aimed at or through; so that shouldn't be a problem.

But that "auto pay" thing.....is that required in order to subscribe?

Christy

b*tch rocket
I stick with cable for a couple of reasons. I have a lot of tv's and with cable I don't need a cable box (or rental fee) to get the basic channels. Also with DirectTV "on demand" really isn't on demand, you have to wait for it to download. With Metrocast it is instant. I price it out at least once a year and it's always just been more cost effective and convenient to stick with cable.

How do you get broadband Internet if you have DTV?

You can still get cable modem service without TV, or Verizon DSL.

DirectTV is offering a break on their HD channels because Dish is now offering free HD on all their channels. I'm sure it's just a promo, but they say in their ads, free HD for life. Who's life, I wonder? :lol:

I used to have Dish and was very pleased with it. It only dropped out when there was a severe t-storm coming in from the south. Otherwise, solid as a rock. I canceled it when I could no longer justify the cost. I now get TV over the air on antenna, and I use Hulu.com to get most of the programs I'd miss otherwise.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, from a purely physical perspective, I have a "small window" between the trees that can be aimed at or through; so that shouldn't be a problem.

But that "auto pay" thing.....is that required in order to subscribe?

Have to watch that, trees grow and fill gaps:)