Cajun Music

BOP

Irv LeJeune is more well-known than his father or his cousin Angelas, both of whom taught and influenced his accordian playing, but his cousin, at least, was an excellent artist in his own right. I don't know that there are any recordings of Irv LeJeune's father, and there are few of his cousin. This is one:

PS: if anyone knows the name of the movie, please let me know.

Last edited:

BOP

I've heard it called an auto harp, a mouth harp, a mouth organ, but I've never heard it called an auto valve. Here it emulates an accordion.

BOP

This video just popped up on youtube of the late, great Hadley Castille and the Sharecroppers, featuring granddaughter Sarah on fiddle and vocals from just last year.

BOP

Oak Grove, Louisiana's own Tony Joe White, singing "Polk Salad Annie" with Johnny Cash.

BOP

Swamp Pop cover of Johnny Horton's "North to Alaska," by Johnnie Allan, called "South to Louisiana."

He's new to me; his "The Music that I like" just popped up on Pandora, so I went exploring.

A rockin' version of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land"

BOP

An hour plus of Traditional Cajun Music.

I haven't listened to it all the way through yet, just started. The first song is "La Danse des Mardi Gras," which almost everyone has done, to one degree or another.

In fact, the second song just started, and I haven't figured it out yet.

Last edited:

BOP

I started off the thread with Feufollet, thought I'd return to them. There's a reason.

The song is "Parlez-nous à boire."

Same song, by the Balfa brothers with Marc Savoy, if you can get past the lame-ass movie ("Southern Comfort" from 1981) dialogue.

A note on Savoy: he's very much a traditionalist when it comes to Cajun music. He and his wife have done a lot for Cajun music, especially with respect to capturing the historical roots of the genre. The DL Menard video I posted yesterday comes from a documentary which features Marc, and his wife, playing, and talking about Cajun music, and preserving it, as well as a number of Cajun music luminaries. There's a word you don't get to use every day in a sentence! :yahoo:

BOP

Here's a segment of that documentary that I refered to in my previous post. The beginning features Marc and Ann Savoy, who both have done a great deal to preserve and promote Cajun music. His comments on the introduction of the accordian are interesting. I had no idea that the instrument was relatively new to Cajun music, even though the early music does not feature much more than a guitar, a fiddle (or three), a bass, and drums. Oh, and the triangle.

Last edited:

BOP

Another one from Amanda Shaw. This one's more pop-ish country than cajun, though.

BOP

"Le Swing Cajun," performed by L'Angelus, with guest performers, the late Hadley Castille and his granddaughter, Sarah Jayde Williams. The song was written by Castille. It was a nice touch that he allowed Johnny to lead on the fiddle there toward the end. Or was it Stephen? There's 10 of them, so it's hard to keep them all straight.