Cajun Music

BOP

Phil and his daughters playing "Thibodeaux," with a "translation" of sorts by one of the listeners.

Young doctor in a straight-backed chair, talking about me like I'm not there Tell my momma that I just can't stop, say my elevator don't go to the top Oh doctor but I got a plan, if I make it to Louisian' 'Cause I know a Creole boy who makes it easy as an une et deux et trois I'm goin' down to the cool bayou, change my name to Thibodaux And when they play that Fais dodo,dance all night if you dance real slow Drop a line in the Ponchartrain, swim with the crawdad and the crane When they find me out in the rain, be sure and tell them Thibodaux's my name Break Well a poor man wants what a rich man's got, but all I want is a crawfish pot A bucket of bait and a folding chair and the kind of loving that you get down there Mon cheri won't you come my way, where the fiddle and accordion play And we'll write a Cajun song that gets them moving with a une et deux et trois I'm goin' down to the cool bayou, change my name to Thibodaux And when they play that Fais dodo, dance all night if you dance real slow Drop a line in the Ponchartrain, swim with the crawdad and the crane When they find me out in the rain, be sure and tell them Thibodaux's my name Break I'm going down to the cool bayou, change my name to Thibodaux And when they play that Fais dodo, dance all night if you dance real slow Drop a line in the Ponchartrain, swim with the crawdad and the crane When they find me out in the rain, be sure and tell them Thibodaux's my name

BOP

The late, great Hadley Castille talking about his influences and playing "Dragging the Bow," by Curt Massey, circa the 1930's. It's a swing tune from that era, and you can hear it in the way the guy in the video at the link plays it. You kind of have to pretend it's in mono, and not stereo. Castille definitely added a Cajun zing to the song.