Calvert Co. Police & Ethics

MMDad

Lem Putt
Radioactive said:
When do we draw the line?
I've lived in Calvert County for the last 15 years. I have never been pulled over.

The last time I talked to a cop while in my car was at a DUI checkpoint. I was sober, polite, and I didn't smell like pot. Shocker: I wasn't searched. Of course, they wouldn't have found anything since I do not use it.

Guess what. They don't pull over stoners because they are driving well. They do pull them over because they do stupid sh*t. Then they do things like leave their pot out in plain sight. What do you expect the troopers/deputies to do? Ignore blatant stupid stoned behavior?

If you think the laws are stupid, attack the laws. The cops HAVE to enforce the law, whether or not they agree with them. I wouldn't want it any other way. For you to blame the enforcers is just stupid, and one day, when you get out of your drug induced haze, you will realize that.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If you think the laws are stupid, attack the laws. The cops HAVE to enforce the law, whether or not they agree with them. I wouldn't want it any other way. For you to blame the enforcers is just stupid, and one day, when you get out of your drug induced haze, you will realize that.

And there you have it.

S

StrwberryKisses

Never really been a fan of the stuff. I still don't see how feeling like that is fun. I would prefer to go to a theme park and ride a roller coaster to get a high and a feeing of fun than smoking something that has lasting physical and mental effects.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
StrwberryKisses said:
Never really been a fan of the stuff. I still don't see how feeling like that is fun. I would prefer to go to a theme park and ride a roller coaster to get a high and a feeing of fun than smoking something that has lasting physical and mental effects.
You should try loading up and THEN getting on a roller coaster. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
StrwberryKisses said:
When was the last time you went to a theme park? It would probably be cheaper to just smoke the weed. :ohwell:

S

somdebay

kwillia said:
Well, I am of the opinion that if one doesn't have anything illegal in one's car than this isn't an issue.

True. Plus don't they ask to search the car? I know I was stopped for speeding, they asked to search the car, I allowed it because I didn't have anything illegal. But I could have said no...I would think if they conduct a search they either smelled something, or saw something, or simply asked and the driver was stupid enough to have something illegal.

S

somdebay

Nickel said:
When was the last time you went to a theme park? It would probably be cheaper to just smoke the weed. :ohwell:

Yeah, smoking weed can be free, mooch off your friends...so can a theme park though, find a hole in the fence. Drugs are bad though, evil I say!

S

StrwberryKisses

Nickel said:

Went a bunch of times this summer. Its too cold out now. But I guess your right during the winter months might be more fun..LOL

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
StrwberryKisses said:
Went a bunch of times this summer. Its too cold out now. But I guess your right during the winter months might be more fun..LOL
You're high right now, aren't you? :lmao:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Nickel said:

Good point. :ohwell:

Maybe radioactive should have used that defense "but officer, I couldn't afford 6 Flags :shrug:" :jet:

Radioactive

Mmmm yeah, sorry to burst your bubble but I can definitly afford a trip to Six Flags, unfortunately this happened during the winter monthes. :razz:

And to the poster who inquired about my parents bailing me out, I am appalled!! I guess I fall into the 'successful occasional smoker' category...I was quite capable of handling my legal responsibilities.

No the cops that pulled me over didnt 'ask' to search. Infact they acted like a bunch of bored good ol boys. Perhaps it was because the license of the person driving that night listed 'Baltimore.' You got me. All I know is I lost my fondness for "COPS" (except for episodes taped in Boston..."I'm telling you one more time....Pull the caaaa ova!!!) and did a lot of research.

Everything is coming back to me now, I have some vivid memories of the mandatory 'early intervention' class ....I may post later tonight.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Radioactive said:
Mmmm yeah, sorry to burst your bubble but I can definitly afford a trip to Six Flags, unfortunately this happened during the winter monthes. :razz:

:whoosh:

Take another toke. :poorbaby:

Last edited:

jetmonkey

Radioactive said:
Why are so many reported crimes in our county pending investigation? Burglary, vandalism, stolen property...seem to fall between the cracks. Check the headline news / police briefs and the answer seems apparent: county officers spend the most time 'making the best' of routine traffic stops.

It always amazes me how many write-ups start out "Officer M pulled over a vehicle for speeding" and end up with "found suspected marijuana." I used to believe that the police conducted these searches based on probable cause, but time and general observation has taught me otherwise. There is a massive difference between driving under the influence and being searched during a routine traffic stop.

The truth is, instead of cracking down on the nitty-gritty issues, some county officers “smell marijuana” during traffic stops, especially if the driver/passengers are young, casually dressed, or have a less than ‘flashy’ vehicle.

Of course, some ensuing searches do result in finding something illegal. And voila!, an easy arrest !!! High fives in the station! “We did it again boys!”

Was the nickel bag Jane Doe had at the bottom of her purse ‘illegal’? Yes. Was any of this ethically ‘right’? Hmmmmmm. And on the police report: “a strong odor of burnt marijuana.”

Undoubtedly, someone reading this will get on his/her high horse with: “..weed is illegal / all drugs are bad / you shouldn’t have it on you anyway.” Well, while Cpl. M. is spending an easy 2 hours manipulating an arrest for a victimless crime, he could be doing something like patroling residential neighborhoods or high-risk areas. And secondly, it is foolish to assume that cops’ ‘overzealous’ attitudes is limited to traffic stops.

When do we draw the line?
How much were you holding when they pulled you over?

Coventry17

somdebay said:
True. Plus don't they ask to search the car? I know I was stopped for speeding, they asked to search the car, I allowed it because I didn't have anything illegal. But I could have said no...I would think if they conduct a search they either smelled something, or saw something, or simply asked and the driver was stupid enough to have something illegal.

If you would have said "no", then they would log that you were "acting suspiciously" and searched your vehicle anyway.

bohman

Coventry17 said:
If you would have said "no", then they would log that you were "acting suspiciously" and searched your vehicle anyway.

Gotta throw the :bs: flag on this one. At least partially. I can't speak for Calvert officers; I've had no experience w/ them, but 2 of my best friends are officers in other jurisdictions. They've told me that they laugh when they are given permission to search and then they find something, because if the person had said, "no I don't want you to search", they'd say "have a nice night" and drive away. It's a myth that refusing a search qualifies as a reason to search all by itself, at least when cops follow the rules.