Calvert Sheriff in the hot seat, again. Goon squads?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The video that comes to mind (easily found on youtube) is the kid who was pulled over for a tag light and the deputy saw a used condom in the door. He had the kid exit the vehicle to "show" him the light and then asked him if there was anything else in the car he needed to know about. The kid said no. He said to him, well if you dont mind stand there for a second and Im going to check it out and get you on your way. No reason at all to search, no permission, he even stated to the camera that the car smelled like BO and made no mention of smelling anything else. No K9, no "odor of burnt marijuana" and no mention of seeing anything out of the ordinary and yet the kid was removed from his car and had it searched. The video is funny becasue its gross, but I was very struck by how that cop handily got his search in on a young kid who probably didn't realize he could have said no.

The guy is a lot younger than I am, but I wouldn't call him a kid, as in 16-18, but who knows. He clearly gave permission to search his vehicle. I noticed that after Denton (ironically, the same cop being accused of being mean and harrassing to the LinkedIn guy) talks to the driver about the cover to his tail light, which needs to be in place - he gives him only a warning - not even a ticket.

In the video - then the trunk is open, and the next thing you see is Denton basically getting permission from the driver to search the front of the vehicle. He did joke with the guy the whole time, the guy took it in stride, but he was courteous, as well as compliant. Denton looked through the console and as best as I could tell - that was pretty much it. He looked, he didn't see much (except a big mess and also condoms all over!) and he let the guy go on his merry way. With only a warning. Not even a ticket. No big deal was made of the search, which was not illegal by any stretch of the imagination.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
The guy is a lot younger than I am, but I wouldn't call him a kid, as in 16-18, but who knows. He clearly gave permission to search his vehicle. I noticed that after Denton (ironically, the same cop being accused of being mean and harrassing to the LinkedIn guy) talks to the driver about the cover to his tail light, which needs to be in place - he gives him only a warning - not even a ticket.

In the video - then the trunk is open, and the next thing you see is Denton basically getting permission from the driver to search the front of the vehicle. He did joke with the guy the whole time, the guy took it in stride, but he was courteous, as well as compliant. Denton looked through the console and as best as I could tell - that was pretty much it. He looked, he didn't see much (except a big mess and also condoms all over!) and he let the guy go on his merry way. With only a warning. Not even a ticket. No big deal was made of the search, which was not illegal by any stretch of the imagination.

What? Pulled him over for some bogus tag light BS. This was not a legal reason to pull over this kid, or anyone. Thug in combat tactical costume says, "Cannot admit any kind of white light to the rear of the vehicle"? Talking about his license plate light. Really? What a fuk tard. The code only says; 2016 Maryland Code TransportationTitle 22 - Vehicle Laws -- Equipment of Vehicles Subtitle 2 - Lamps and Other Lighting Equipment § 22-204. Tail lamps; illumination of rear registration plate "(f) Illumination of rear registration plate. -- Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed to illuminate, with a white light, the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired to be lighted whenever the headlamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted." Nothing about any cover.
And what is with him pressing his whole body along the car? This guy uses the intimidation of the uniform and childish conversation to ploy and intimidate the guy into an unnecessary search. Is this what Evans and his henchmen are teaching deputies? Find any excuse to pull someone over? And intimidate them into searching their car?

tom88

First let me say that I'm not a big fan of the cop stop. My MO is let's get this over with. I don't want to make small talk with them. I have watched a few body cam videos when officer toughguy doesn't like what grandma says to him then the next minute he's jacking her up. Maybe even pepper spraying her for good measure. Then there's that anything you say clause.

Years ago I was fishing on base with my then middle school aged son. The stripers were in close to shore and easy to catch. We wrap up fishing around 1am or so on a Friday night. Leaving base I get pulled over. Not speeding, not weaving, just driving along. Barney wants to know where I'm coming from and how much I've had to drink tonight. I tell him I was at the pier fishing and certainly not drinking. Then he shines the light on the passenger seat and sees a 10 year old boy. Shines the light in the back seat and sees multiple fishing poles and some tackle boxes. Tells me to be careful and lets us go. Clearly he was fishing for someone drinking and driving because that's what sailors do on a payday Friday night. I'm all for the checkpoint sobriety test but way less a fan of the random let's stop this car and see if we can get lucky and maybe get an arrest.

Fortunately I don't get stopped often. I can't even remember the last time I was pulled over. I'm more likely to have fish & game ask to see my license. It does amaze me when I read how a local SOMD traffic stop ends up with dope or a gun in plain view. Or the officer smells pot or alcohol. And when that happens I'm OK with what ever excuse they use to pull those people over. But I'm against fishing expeditions against people who have not broken any laws.

Just making sure I'm clear. The stop the cop made on you was not for a violation. In that case, I agree 100%. If the questions the cop asked are something you don't think the cop should ask, I disagree.

Hannibal

The reality is that if a cop wants to pull you over, they can. With all the rules/laws in place, they can find just cause for doing so. And if they pull some bogus reason out of their ass - call them on it - but DON'T do it then and there. There is a process for it and it behooves you as the driver to simply comply then be on your merry way to deal with it administratively. If you feel you must do it then, you can voice your confusion or concern in a respectful manner and certainly request the same from them.

You are never going to eliminate dumb or over the top cops - but they aren't the majority. They simply give bad names to the rest so people need to have some context. In nearly all the instances of cop vs public antics, it's often elevated by the public simply not complying with an order. I understand you may disagree but STFU and do as your told/asked. In many situations, the cops focus is on his protection and not yours (understandably). They may be approaching the situation with a concern or information you are not even privy to. If that means he feels he needs to detain you for whatever reason until he is safe and the situation is controlled - so be it. You are not going to win the argument of "why" or "you can't do that" at said time. But there is a time following that interaction where you can present your case and likely do so without serving time in lockup or with bruises.

It just boggles my mind when random Joe Q public wants to argue on the spot with a cop or tell them they are wrong. Where is the benefit? Are they going to say "Oh, good point there. Have a nice day." You're only going piss them off and give them more reason to find more issues for you. For the most part, they hold the cards. Just a fact of life.

I've had my run ins in the past with the police (including Calvert) and go out of my way to be polite, non-threatening and clear in my responses and actions. I've had absolutely no issue with them. Yes, I've expressed that I didn't think I was going quite as fast as they stated (there is a court option for that). And yes, I've left a little bitter that I got a ticket when I thought a warning was more appropriate but it happens. We all have jobs to do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The reality is that if a cop wants to pull you over, they can. With all the rules/laws in place, they can find just cause for doing so. And if they pull some bogus reason out of their ass - call them on it - but DON'T do it then and there. There is a process for it and it behooves you as the driver to simply comply then be on your merry way to deal with it administratively. If you feel you must do it then, you can voice your confusion or concern in a respectful manner and certainly request the same from them.

You are never going to eliminate dumb or over the top cops - but they aren't the majority. They simply give bad names to the rest so people need to have some context. In nearly all the instances of cop vs public antics, it's often elevated by the public simply not complying with an order. I understand you may disagree but STFU and do as your told/asked. In many situations, the cops focus is on his protection and not yours (understandably). They may be approaching the situation with a concern or information you are not even privy to. If that means he feels he needs to detain you for whatever reason until he is safe and the situation is controlled - so be it. You are not going to win the argument of "why" or "you can't do that" at said time. But there is a time following that interaction where you can present your case and likely do so without serving time in lockup or with bruises.

It just boggles my mind when random Joe Q public wants to argue on the spot with a cop or tell them they are wrong. Where is the benefit? Are they going to say "Oh, good point there. Have a nice day." You're only going piss them off and give them more reason to find more issues for you. For the most part, they hold the cards. Just a fact of life.

I've had my run ins in the past with the police (including Calvert) and go out of my way to be polite, non-threatening and clear in my responses and actions. I've had absolutely no issue with them. Yes, I've expressed that I didn't think I was going quite as fast as they stated (there is a court option for that). And yes, I've left a little bitter that I got a ticket when I thought a warning was more appropriate but it happens. We all have jobs to do.

Good post :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:clap:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

This right here is indicative of what has became an adversarial encounter. No one should have to go out of their way to be nice and polite. It is caused because people have been conditioned to feel small and shameful when pulled over, and now, fearful as to the cop's true intent and mindset. It should only be a matter of fact. Sir, I pulled you over for speeding, here is your ticket or warning. That's all it should be. Today, it has become, squeeze everything one can from the populace, push the envelope of the Constitution, and push until pushed back in public opinion. What was rare in the past, is now an everyday, every encounter experience. Glorified by asinine ride-a-long tv shows that do nothing except swell the heads and egos of the thugs in the costume, and make the producers money.

Hannibal

If I may ...

This right here is indicative of what has became an adversarial encounter. No one should have to go out of their way to be nice and polite. It is caused because people have been conditioned to feel small and shameful when pulled over, and now, fearful as to the cop's true intent and mindset. It should only be a matter of fact. Sir, I pulled you over for speeding, here is your ticket or warning. That's all it should be. Today, it has become, squeeze everything one can from the populace, push the envelope of the Constitution, and push until pushed back in public opinion. What was rare in the past, is now an everyday, every encounter experience. Glorified by asinine ride-a-long tv shows that do nothing except swell the heads and egos of the thugs in the costume, and make the producers money.

I disagree. I think the overwhelming majority of police / public interactions are completely fine and without issue. I would argue that most "issues" stem from an escalation originating from the public in some way. And if it's a cops attitude that has someone disgruntled - my suggestion is to STFU and move on. Let him have his attitude and simply take it and be no worse for the wear. Your alternative is to push back but as stated above - he has more cards than you so it's a game you are not going to win. And again, there are pathways to take should you feel victimized. That path isn't getting ####ty with the cop.

I'll use myself as an example - I am 6'5" and run about 300lbs. A big boy for sure. And my blood pressure quickly jumps when some little dwarf of a cop comes to my window and wants to swell up ............ simply because he can. Now, this isn't excessive, but he may carry himself a bit more chesty than he would had we met under a different circumstance and in a different environment. I may want to use different words in response to him in a different location than I chose to while standing at my truck window. But, I realize it provides me no benefit and any satisfaction I might find from giving him some #### would quickly be erased by the $75 ticket he can issue me for one of numerous violations I am sure he could cite me for. And even if I can challenge them and win - I still have to spend a morning in court. It's just SOOO much simpler to say "yes sir" and "thank you." And besides, I was raised to be polite and respect people in uniform so my first intent is always to do such.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No one should have to go out of their way to be nice and polite.

Why not? Are you a ####ty jerk to the cashier at the Wawa? Do you give attitude to the post office worker? Do you verbally abuse the teller at the bank?

Why wouldn't you show a police officer the same courtesy you show anyone else?

Restitution

Years ago I was fishing on base with my then middle school aged son. The stripers were in close to shore and easy to catch. We wrap up fishing around 1am or so on a Friday night. Leaving base I get pulled over. Not speeding, not weaving, just driving along. Barney wants to know where I'm coming from and how much I've had to drink tonight. I tell him I was at the pier fishing and certainly not drinking. Then he shines the light on the passenger seat and sees a 10 year old boy. Shines the light in the back seat and sees multiple fishing poles and some tackle boxes. Tells me to be careful and lets us go. Clearly he was fishing for someone drinking and driving because that's what sailors do on a payday Friday night. I'm all for the checkpoint sobriety test but way less a fan of the random let's stop this car and see if we can get lucky and maybe get an arrest.

I have been pulled over many, many times (I have a lead foot) and I have also been pulled over for these so-called "fishing expeditions."

I can say that I have NEVER been pulled over ANYWHERE that the cop didn't say right out of the gate "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

At the very least, I would have asked that... :shrug:

black dog

Free America
I have been pulled over many, many times (I have a lead foot) and I have also been pulled over for these so-called "fishing expeditions."

I can say that I have NEVER been pulled over ANYWHERE that the cop didn't say right out of the gate "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
:

Ahhh. Dunkin is closed today?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Why not? Are you a ####ty jerk to the cashier at the Wawa? Do you give attitude to the post office worker? Do you verbally abuse the teller at the bank?
Why wouldn't you show a police officer the same courtesy you show anyone else?

No, I am not, but then again, I choose to do business with the cashier, the post office worker, and the teller. Because police have become the enemy to the people, especially when people are pulled over for questionable circumstances everyday. When our whereabouts are tracked everyday by tag reader cameras. When all people have been lumped together as guilty first under the guise of getting the bad guys, there is tyranny. Today we have tyranny. You just don't recognized it because it was a slow process, just like slowly cooking that proverbial frog in the slowly heated hot water, it never knew that water was getting too hot until it was to late. And every new transgression against the people was, and is, somehow justified and enacted. Blind support and allegiance of police is foolish and detrimental to any freedom loving society. They are the enemy. They are not your friends. They are the arm of the heavy state.

GregV814

ahhh, liberalism and social engineering from the bench in Calvert....It would be interesting to see how the Judge, an old back slapping woman may have been influenced by Mikey. Oh, sorry, Senator Mike V Miller, who's daughter, a high priced lawyer argued this case of the downtrodden hard working' brother from Southeast. Not Constitutionally issued citation??????? So, whats next, wait and see, is a civil rights violation, and Ms. Miller is allowed billable hours for this fine upstanding mans representation...Can she say Cha chingggg fast enough??? By the way, 76 in a 55???? How do you feel about this????

Hijinx

I don't know much about this except what I read, but the search of his car and the ressistinng arrest charge may indeed be BS, but I cannot understand how a traffic ticket for speeding wasn't issued in a constitutionally mandated manner.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I don't know much about this except what I read, but the search of his car and the ressistinng arrest charge may indeed be BS, but I cannot understand how a traffic ticket for speeding wasn't issued in a constitutionally mandated manner.

Maybe it wasn't written by the witnessing deputy? The one that operating the speed trap. You know, knowing your accuser? Or something like that.

GregV814

If I may ...

Maybe it wasn't written by the witnessing deputy? The one that operating the speed trap. You know, knowing your accuser? Or something like that.

well, just in case YOU DONT KNOW....the arresting officers name appears on the citation with an indication of the radar operator as a named witness...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

well, just in case YOU DONT KNOW....the arresting officers name appears on the citation with an indication of the radar operator as a named witness...

I meant on the traffic citation. Was the speeding ticket issued by the actual witnessing deputy that saw this guy speeding? Either way, I think I'll get copies of the court transcripts to get to the nitty gritty of the how and why things turned out like they did rather than speculate since our local news sources don't have any real reporters anymore that would actually do some investigative reporting and and report to the public the actual circumstances behind the decision.

GregV814

okay let me explain this, IF I MAY...

On the Uniform and Complaint citation, "a ticket" is a space on the bottom to be signed by the arresting officer and the name of the Radar DWI Breathalyzer operator...its printed right there on the lower portion...On the bottom, not the top, the bottom...and the officers identification number. Thereby, he/she is summonsed to Court or any other judicial hearing....but what do I know....Hey, here's a novel idea...go 25-30 over the limit near PF or Solomons and get a citation yourself...however, Ms. Mller will NOT represent you on several indicative facts...