Calvert Tax Sale

softtouch

The first parcel on the current tax list has an assessment of $3,800. The "Sale Amount", which I am guessing is the tax owed, is $6,579.57.
Is there any time limit for how long they will try to collect the tax? I haven't tried to figure how many years it would take to run up that tax bill.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The first parcel on the current tax list has an assessment of $3,800. The "Sale Amount", which I am guessing is the tax owed, is $6,579.57.
Is there any time limit for how long they will try to collect the tax? I haven't tried to figure how many years it would take to run up that tax bill.
Two years. Properties with delinquent taxes get a two year non-payment and they go on the block at the end of the second year. Even then only one year has to be paid to become current.

So what you see on the list had taxes due last September/December (if on the scaled payment system)

Last edited:

Clem72

I thought about tax sales a while ago and someone told me after you buy you have to wait a year before you can take possession. A year is more thna enough time for a property to go from livable to mold death trap.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I thought about tax sales a while ago and someone told me after you buy you have to wait a year before you can take possession. A year is more thna enough time for a property to go from livable to mold death trap.
What a lot of people do is pay off the taxes with no intention of taking possession of the property. The delinquent owner has six months (not a year) to redeem the property for the delinquent taxes paid plus 1 1/2% a month interest. The people who bought at the tax sale are doing some entrepreneurial investing.

NextJen

Raisin cane
What a lot of people do is pay off the taxes with no intention of taking possession of the property. The delinquent owner has six months (not a year) to redeem the property for the delinquent taxes paid plus 1 1/2% a month interest. The people who bought at the tax sale are doing some entrepreneurial investing.
I used to work with someone who would do this. They said that you always have to be ready to take possession of the property in case you really do end up owning it.

softtouch

Using the tax rates from my tax bill, I did some figuring. The State and County tax on a $3800 assessment is a little over $4 a year.
This parcel is the Chesapeake Ranch Estates, so I added the $275 special taxing district fee to the annual tax.
To run up a tax bill of $6579.57 would take over 23 years.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Using the tax rates from my tax bill, I did some figuring. The State and County tax on a $3800 assessment is a little over $4 a year.
This parcel is the Chesapeake Ranch Estates, so I added the $275 special taxing district fee to the annual tax.
To run up a tax bill of $6579.57 would take over 23 years.
But the County takes properties to tax sale after two years of arrears. Possibly it may be unpaid assessments (like for trash, maybe sewer) or unpaid STD charges. Or it could be something else for which the property was collateral/surety.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

What happens if no one pays the Tax? Does it roll over to the following year? If so for how many years?
The County steals the property from the owner, by force, if necessary, using the hired guns from the Sheriff's Office.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

That doesn't happen if you pay your ****ing taxes. No different than not paying your mortgage.
Forced to pay a tribute, "taxes", yearly on one's home, abode, residence, dwelling, is extortion, at the hands of the criminal syndicate called government. There is a huge overwhelming difference between paying a mortgage and home property taxes. A mortgage is entered into freely and with consent. Property taxes are forced, exacted, coerced, and imposed upon home owners from an entity using extortive means.

So, with that, it actually means that there is no true private property ownership. That people must pay their annual tribute to the king, government, to continue living in their home. Else, become homeless. Which means we have come full circle and have become serfs in a feudal system once again.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Forced to pay a tribute, "taxes", yearly on one's home, abode, residence, dwelling, is extortion, at the hands of the criminal syndicate called government. There is a huge overwhelming difference between paying a mortgage and home property taxes. A mortgage is entered into freely and with consent. Property taxes are forced, exacted, coerced, and imposed upon home owners from an entity using extortive means.

So, with that, it actually means that there is no true private property ownership. That people must pay their annual tribute to the king, government, to continue living in their home. Else, become homeless. Which means we have come full circle and have become serfs in a feudal system once again.
How then, under your Sovereign Citizen doctrine, do you propose to pay for services you benefit from? User fees like a toll every time you get on the road? Give the fire department your AMEX number so they'll put the fire in your basement out?

Maybe you could pay your property taxes with tobacco as was done 300 years ago in the Province of Maryland.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You rebel, you. So...since you obviously refuse to pay taxes, how's your defense of your property panning out?

LightRoasted

If I may ...

How then, under your Sovereign Citizen doctrine, do you propose to pay for services you benefit from? User fees like a toll every time you get on the road? Give the fire department your AMEX number so they'll put the fire in your basement out?

Maybe you could pay your property taxes with tobacco as was done 300 years ago in the Province of Maryland.
"Maybe you could pay your property taxes with tobacco as was done 300 years ago in the Province of Maryland." You mean when Maryland was still a colony, and under the rule of a king?

What an azz wipe. I never imparted anything near indicating being a "Sovereign Citizen". Government has no right to tax the home, abode, residence, dwelling, whatever you want to call it, where one sleeps, eats, recreates, raises their family. However, government can tax commercial properties, and homes that are not the primary home, abode, residence, dwelling of an owner, aka second homes, rentals.

JHFC. We are no longer a free people if one can have their home taken simply by not paying the tribute to the master.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Government has no right to tax the home, abode, residence, dwelling, whatever you want to call it, where one sleeps, eats, recreates, raises their family..
I wrote that on the front of my last 1040 and didn't send them a dime. Got a nice little note back: "OK..you win. We're sorry".

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

"Maybe you could pay your property taxes with tobacco as was done 300 years ago in the Province of Maryland." You mean when Maryland was still a colony, and under the rule of a king?

What an azz wipe. I never imparted anything near indicating being a "Sovereign Citizen". Government has no right to tax the home, abode, residence, dwelling, whatever you want to call it, where one sleeps, eats, recreates, raises their family. However, government can tax commercial properties, and homes that are not the primary home, abode, residence, dwelling of an owner, aka second homes, rentals.

JHFC. We are no longer a free people if one can have their home taken simply by not paying the tribute to the master.
Yeah, you do talk Sovereign Citizen BS all the time. About property tax is one such time. Taxes on property, of all types, goes back thousands of years.

For your last statement, then we've never been a "free" people.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Yeah, you do talk Sovereign Citizen BS all the time. About property tax is one such time. Taxes on property, of all types, goes back thousands of years.

For your last statement, then we've never been a "free" people.
You must be confusing me with someone else. I've never talked about being a "Sovereign Citizen". Being free to exercise my, (and you exercising your), rights, freedoms and liberties, as guaranteed in the US Constitution, and as enunciated The Declaration of Independence, sure.

"About property tax is one such time." Do you mean when I referred to when all lands, real property, were held in allodial title after the ratification of the Constitution? Allodial being the highest form of ownership possible. Which means that an allodial title land/home owner is free from government intrusions, regulations, taxes? That is not "Sovereign Citizen BS". That is fact.