Camping

SoccerMom2

I am planning a camping trip for the family soon. it will the first time with the kids. Where is a good place to go? Kids are 4 and 2. We love to go hiking and fishing.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I am planning a camping trip for the family soon. it will the first time with the kids. Where is a good place to go? Kids are 4 and 2. We love to go hiking and fishing.

Whats your budget? How far are you wanting to travel? What kind of fishing is preferred (salt or fresh)?

SoccerMom2

Whats your budget? How far are you wanting to travel? What kind of fishing is preferred (salt or fresh)?

I guess about 3 hours. My budget cheap. I want to be in a tent that saves money. Most charge anywhere from 25-50 dollars. I would say $200 bucks should be more then enough money.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
I guess about 3 hours. My budget cheap. I want to be in a tent that saves money. Most charge anywhere from 25-50 dollars. I would say $200 bucks should be more then enough money.

Broadway Virginia Camping, Harrisonburg / New Market Campground in Virginia - KOA in Broadway - &34.00 a night for a tent site with Elec and water hook up. I do not know how primitive you want to be.

Season Beginning/Ending Dates and Service Charges for Maryland State Parks Check out this link if you want to stay in Maryland. THis is a list for all of the state lands with camping and prices on it.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
If you like the ocean beach try Assateague State Park in Maryland, camp sites are immediately behind the barrier dunes from the beach. You can surf fish on the east side or bay fish on the west side of the island. Kids can play in the surf with public bath house and restrooms near. Hiking miles and miles either north or south with very few people any more than a half mile from the main bath house. I think the overnight rate is about 30 bucks.

Both Maryland and Virginia have decent parks, check their DNR web sites already pointed out above.

Good luck and happy camping.

C

citizen_fear

Dont know if your military or civil service but Pax isn't bad. Camp, crab and fish and isn't far away.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If you like the ocean beach try Assateague State Park in Maryland, camp sites are immediately behind the barrier dunes from the beach. You can surf fish on the east side or bay fish on the west side of the island. Kids can play in the surf with public bath house and restrooms near. Hiking miles and miles either north or south with very few people any more than a half mile from the main bath house. I think the overnight rate is about 30 bucks.

I went camping there a couple of times and it was a blast. Just watch out for wild ponies coming through your campsite at 2 in the morning. I had a cooler with a very cool hoof print in the middle of it. :lmao:

JoeMac

Well, Garrett County in Western Maryland is an hour farther than you said you wanted to travel but it is really nice. There are a dozen or more parks to camp in. New Germany State Park has a really nice bath house and you can use it even if you are camping in any other state park.

We go every year in late summer and really enjoy ourselves. There are lots of places to fish, like Deep Creek Lake and Savage River Reservoir. The tallest waterfall in Maryland is Swallow Falls and it is an excellent hike even for kids. You won't be disappointed if you go out there.

SoccerMom2

Well, Garrett County in Western Maryland is an hour farther than you said you wanted to travel but it is really nice. There are a dozen or more parks to camp in. New Germany State Park has a really nice bath house and you can use it even if you are camping in any other state park.

We go every year in late summer and really enjoy ourselves. There are lots of places to fish, like Deep Creek Lake and Savage River Reservoir. The tallest waterfall in Maryland is Swallow Falls and it is an excellent hike even for kids. You won't be disappointed if you go out there.

Thats where my Hubby wants to go. I think we will go there. First we will do Point Lookout so the kids can get use to it. Then in July we are going to invite the his parents to come with us to go to the one in Garrett County. Water Falls are awesome.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Thats where my Hubby wants to go. I think we will go there. First we will do Point Lookout so the kids can get use to it. Then in July we are going to invite the his parents to come with us to go to the one in Garrett County. Water Falls are awesome.

If you are tenting it tkae some warm clothes for the kids in the evening. I remember going to Deep Creek when I was about 13, it got down to the high 40's to low 50's at night. But it is a beautiful place and a good time for the family!

If you are tenting it tkae some warm clothes for the kids in the evening. I remember going to Deep Creek when I was about 13, it got down to the high 40's to low 50's at night. But it is a beautiful place and a good time for the family!

:yeahthat: This time of year - Deep Creek or Skyline Drive... down by the water/coast will be muggy and mosquitoes will be rough in a tent :dead: