can you really?

mistymoofwf

live to ride
get sued if your horse gets out and does not have a halter on and someone stops to help you can they sue you for not having a halter on your horse?

Duckz

get sued if your horse gets out and does not have a halter on and someone stops to help you can they sue you for not having a halter on your horse?

Anyone can sue you for anything, doesn't mean they're going to win :razz: Seriously though, unless your horse sat on their car or something, I don't really get why they'd sue :eyebrow: I guess if the cops came by they could fine you for...something...dunno.

K

Kain99

I just spoke to my sister in law, who is by far the best horse expert I know and she said ... No you cannot be fined or sued if your horse is not haltered.

If you have a rope around the horses neck to keep it stationary you can be citied for animal cruelty. If your horse gets out and destroys property you can be sued for damages.

devinej

how about the horse related activities thing that many states require you to post in your barn - what does that cover? i heard that it does not cover anything involving Loose horses - which might include mistymoo's example

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
The horse related activities is the "Equine Warning Law" which is basically a law stating inherent risk. Simply put it's that people show KNOW that horses can be dangerous and so any time in their presence or activities partaken in their presence is subject to inherent risk, and that the owner of the horse and/or facility is NOT responsible for injuries or damage.

However, this does not include negligence and that may be what the person was trying to imply. But, if no injury or damage occured I think they'd look like an idiot trying to take you to court.

Oh, and Maryland is NOT an inherent risk law state.

Cowgirl

The horse related activities is the "Equine Warning Law" which is basically a law stating inherent risk. Simply put it's that people show KNOW that horses can be dangerous and so any time in their presence or activities partaken in their presence is subject to inherent risk, and that the owner of the horse and/or facility is NOT responsible for injuries or damage.

However, this does not include negligence and that may be what the person was trying to imply. But, if no injury or damage occured I think they'd look like an idiot trying to take you to court.

I remember Amy (I think it was Amy :confused:) saying that if your horse gets out and there is no way to catch it (i.e. no halter) you can get in trouble...I'm not sure about beings sued or fined or what.

Cowgirl

Ok, I spoke with Amy Burk from UM. She said if the horse escapes (and has been known to escape) and causes damages to people or property, and the horse is not wearing a halter (so it could be caught to prevent further damages to itself or others) it would be hard to prove that the owner is liable.

You can always call a lawyer and ask. She mentioned the name of an equine lawyer. I think she said Michael Delaney, but I'm not sure if that's the name.

Sparks

. She said if the horse escapes (and has been known to escape) and causes damages to people or property, and the horse is not wearing a halter (so it could be caught to prevent further damages to itself or others) it would be hard to prove that the owner is liable.

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if a horse escapes and causes damage, the owner of the horse would likely be liable whether it's wearing a halter or not.

I have a friend who's horse escaped and was hit by a car. The driver was killed. The owner of the horse was held liable.

Cowgirl

Wouldn't the leash law apply to horses?

There's no leash law. :shrug:

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if a horse escapes and causes damage, the owner of the horse would likely be liable whether it's wearing a halter or not.

I have a friend who's horse escaped and was hit by a car. The driver was killed. The owner of the horse was held liable.

I would think in any case the owner would be liable, but I guess it compounds the issue if the horse doesn't have a halter. :shrug:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I know this isn't exactly what was asked, but the Tuckahoe Equestrian Center's Attny gave a lecture on horse law in MD, here it is in .pdf. I think much of what she said made sense.

Attachments

• Ogletree-land-uselaw.pdf
    200.5 KB · Views: 87

Cowgirl

All righty then :eyebrow:

My point was that the animal reg I posted would apply equally to any animal, including a horse.

No halter would be a $50 fine for the first offense IF it's off your porperty and running lose

Can you please explain which part you're talking about? I saw this:

The animal is controlled by a leash or similar restraining device as defined under definitions of restraints

If that's what you mean, it still doesn't say anything about a collar or leash. The definition of "restraint" in the first part of the article defines restraint as "Any animal humanely secured by a leash or lead and under the control of a responsible person capable of restraining the animal and obedient to that person's commands."

:lol: I'm not even sure what we're talking about anymore.

devinej

just because a horse has a halter on doesn't mean its able to be caught either hahaha or restrained if the animals doesn't want to be restrained!! perhaps they should change that for animals that are physically larger than humans

poster

I don't see where halter or no halter is an issue, a horse can break a halter (or bridal) at any given time. Not to mention some choose to turn out without halters for safety reasons.

You are liable for any damages your horse causes that includes loose or during handling. You walk your horse near someones car and it kicks their door, you're liable. So unless your horse hurt this person, they can sue but for what?

The only thing I could imagine is a fine for the horse being loose, haltered or not. That would come from police or animal control and has nothing to do with an individual.

Cowgirl

I don't see where halter or no halter is an issue, a horse can break a halter (or bridal) at any given time. Not to mention some choose to turn out without halters for safety reasons.

You are liable for any damages your horse causes that includes loose or during handling. You walk your horse near someones car and it kicks their door, you're liable. So unless your horse hurt this person, they can sue but for what?

The only thing I could imagine is a fine for the horse being loose, haltered or not. That would come from police or animal control and has nothing to do with an individual.

It IS an issue, especially if the horse repeatedly gets out.

And I hope a horse won't break a bridal!! Maybe a bridle, but not a bridal! :faint:

:lmao: