Car prices remain high as Chinese-made semiconductor shortage keeps inventories low

PeoplesElbow

All the electronic control elements are, very simply, how today's engines achieve the incredible power numbers (compared to 1970s/80s junk) that they do while at the same time achieving much higher MPG and much lower emissions.
That

A modern engine can produce 100 HP per liter displacement, a late 70s early 80s car was lucky to get 1/3 that. A 1984 Corvette had 200hp, your average minivan has that now.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm curious how much is a redesigned engine think LS vs SB Chevy Series or the Ford 385 Series vs Mod V8.... and how much is the Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition

I'd like to see Fuel Economy tests ... take a newer vs older Mustang newer engine vs older designs

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm curious how much is a redesigned engine think LS vs SB Chevy Series or the Ford 385 Series vs Mod V8.... and how much is the Fuel Injection and Electronic Ignition

I'd like to see Fuel Economy tests ... take a newer vs older Mustang newer engine vs older designs
I think that’s going to vary from design to design. I know my 65 Mustang with a 289 got about 19 to 20 miles to the gallon back when I had it. The modern 5.0 gets about the same, maybe a tiny bit more, but it has a whopping jump in torque and horsepower.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think that’s going to vary from design to design.

I drove a 1974 Chevy PU with a 454 and a TH 400 .... would get 15 - 17 MPG if I drove reasonable ....

My 2003 Lincoln Aviator makes 302 HP out of a 4.6 L DOHC Engine / 5 pd Auto and AWD that barely got 15 MPG with a 10k Towing Cap

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:lol: I had a Wagoneer with an AMC 360 2bbl. I think I got about 8 mpg, but that's back when regular was still under 35 cents/gal.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:lol: I had a Wagoneer with an AMC 360 2bbl. I think I got about 8 mpg, but that's back when regular was still under 35 cents/gal.

I can relate as having owned 5 different SJs aka Wagoners
My 83 SJ had the ' cherokee ' upgrade ... power windows and locks .... the 4.2 L I^ barely got 15 ... even after dumpi9ng the Carter Feed Back 2bbl for a Weber

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Most of my Broncos and Ford Pickups (60s through mid 90s) averaged around 10-12 mpg. None of them had over 300 HP and most had under 200HP.

SamSpade

I remember in the 80's I noticed that everything was having electronics added to them. I remember asking why it was necessary to have an electonic board on a WASHING MACHINE when the device worked very adequately with simple mechanics.

The answer was, sure, with gears and springs and pulleys, it works but those things cost money. A board of silicon is pennies. And there you have it.

So I shrugged and thought well ok. So long as it's always cheaper to do it that way, although it meant, I was probably never going to repair my washer and dryer again.

I was never much of a gearhead but my little brother was. He and his gang of friends all drove big 60's-70's era muscle cars. The kind that were so huge you could probably climb in under the hood and close it while working on the car. The kind that were so heavy I swear they could just drive THROUGH most of today's cars. Fixing and tweaking their cars was fun, and you didn't need a degree, fancy tools or a lot of money. Just time and effort.

I guess it sucks that this far down the road - it's not so cheap to get that damned board, because it's far too sophisticated for just any company to make it.

PeoplesElbow

I remember in the 80's I noticed that everything was having electronics added to them. I remember asking why it was necessary to have an electonic board on a WASHING MACHINE when the device worked very adequately with simple mechanics.

The answer was, sure, with gears and springs and pulleys, it works but those things cost money. A board of silicon is pennies. And there you have it.

So I shrugged and thought well ok. So long as it's always cheaper to do it that way, although it meant, I was probably never going to repair my washer and dryer again.

I was never much of a gearhead but my little brother was. He and his gang of friends all drove big 60's-70's era muscle cars. The kind that were so huge you could probably climb in under the hood and close it while working on the car. The kind that were so heavy I swear they could just drive THROUGH most of today's cars. Fixing and tweaking their cars was fun, and you didn't need a degree, fancy tools or a lot of money. Just time and effort.

I guess it sucks that this far down the road - it's not so cheap to get that damned board, because it's far too sophisticated for just any company to make it.
Believe it or not the electronics in most automobiles, washing machines etc are fairly simple, proprietary, but simple.

And if you look at the curb weight vs today's they are shockingly close.

Emissions control killed power and mileage back in the 70s and 80s, it took 30 years to recover from them.

PeoplesElbow

1979 Buick LeSabre was a huge tank, 5.7L with 155hp, 0-60 in 12 seconds, curb weight 3800 lbs.

2021 Toyota Camry 2.5L 206hp, 0-60 in 0-60 in 7.6 seconds curb weight 3300 lbs.

Clem72

This is why you people are woefully (and willfully) uninformed. You’ve been dog-whistled by a “China” headline and didn’t dig any further.

The shortage has nothing to do with semiconductor manufacturing operations in China but rather the SINGLE MANUFACTURER of EUV lithography machines, ASML based in the Netherlands, who can’t keep up with demand for them. Over half of the machines in existence are owned by a single company.

But hey, if you want to be shiny-thingied instead of trying to dig beneath the headlines, be my guest. The world is a much better place when you’re kept ignorant.

Hemi you are full of crap this time. Yes, the title is clickbait because most of these chips are made in Korea and Taiwan (usually not what we are talking about when we say "China"), but ain't no damn chip in any car, INCLUDING YOUR TESLA made with an EUV process. None, nada, ZIP. So while ASML may be the bottle-neck in high end chip manufacturing, pushing out new state of the art plants, it has nothing to do with this shortage of chips built on older tech.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Cool that you went for that option.
It had belonged to Frank Ellis an older local shopkeeper back in the day. The car was originally sold at Bell Motor Company. He probably special ordered it because he was too cheap to pay for carpet. That's an added expense for luxury, just like A/C. :lol: