Celebrities should keep their mouths shut

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Sparx
kINDA SUX FOR ANYONE WHO WORKS FOR A LIVING
I am making 48% more than I was 2 years ago. It is working for me. I also bought a house last summer with the lowest interest rate in almost 30 years to go along with the increase in cash. I also just got a brand new truck at 0%, AND my kid is citizen of the month at his school and gets his little badge thingy today. I have had a FREAKING great 2 years.

SamSpade

Originally posted by Sparx
That kind of thinking enrages liberals. They like to think they speak for the average voter, but when it's obvious they don't, they either cry "foul" or mention that the voters themselves are idiots, classically described when Mo Udall was voted out of office "the people have spoken - the bastards!".

So this explains how the majority of voters voted for Gore but bush is president?

No, that is explained in our Constitution. Democracy, again. Don't like it? Change the laws.

Here's something to consider - the 2000 election was so razor-thin that statistically you could almost call it a tie, since by most means of counting votes there were many regions where the accuracy of the final tally fell inside the error margin.

Now, aside from how you feel the election should have gone, what it should ALSO say is - HALF the country doesn't agree with me.

This isn't the impression liberal pundits typically portray - they're usually rocking back on their heels and making pronouncements as if they speak for all Americans - and they obviously do NOT.

SamSpade

Originally posted by Tonio
I see something similar among religious conservatives. The idea that only they are going to Heaven and everyone else is going to Hell. They, out of the goodness of their hearts (yeah, right), will save the ignorant heathen masses from their own sinful, lustful desires.

Hey, you'll get no argument from me, there. But thank you, you at least qualified it as "religious consevatives" who do form a large portion of the voting base but thankfully do not speak for the party. In many ways I regard them as only a kinder, gentler version of the Muslims in the Middle East who insist on rule by Syariah (Islamic Law).

(I think there ought to be a middle ground, however. We can't deny that the nation has a basic, Christian heritage that is as much a part of our culture as Islam is part of Arabic culture.)

And it's probably mostly religious conservatives who anger most on the left, and the caricature that is most lampooned. Each side of the aisle has a piece of its constituency it would LOVE to offload - the left generally doesn't do crap for minorities, but it couldn't survive without their vote anymore than the right could without the religious right.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SamSpade
Hey, you'll get no argument from me, there. But thank you, you at least qualified it as "religious consevatives" who do form a large portion of the voting base but thankfully do not speak for the party. In many ways I regard them as only a kinder, gentler version of the Muslims in the Middle East who insist on rule by Syariah (Islamic Law).

(I think there ought to be a middle ground, however. We can't deny that the nation has a basic, Christian heritage that is as much a part of our culture as Islam is part of Arabic culture.)

And it's probably mostly religious conservatives who anger most on the left, and the caricature that is most lampooned. Each side of the aisle has a piece of its constituency it would LOVE to offload - the left generally doesn't do crap for minorities, but it couldn't survive without their vote anymore than the right could without the religious right.

Thanks. I don't like self-righteousness of any sort, because I don't like being judged and being told that I'm inferior to someone else.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ted Nugent sounds just as ignorant as Michael Moore.
Give me ONE thing that Ted Nugent says that is as ignorant as:

We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons. Whether it's the fictition of duct tape or fictition of orange alerts we are against this war, Mr. Bush...And any time you got the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Give me ONE thing that Ted Nugent says that is as ignorant as...

That's an excellent example of Moore's idiocy.

How are he and Ted alike? I don't have a specific quote from Ted, but I've read interviews where he alleges a conscious, deliberate conspiracy to take away everyone's guns. I don't see that as any different from Moore alleging a conscious, deliberate conspiracy to take Iraq's oil through invasion.

For me, crying "conspiracy!" is like comparing someone to Hitler--it's a debate-stopper and a sign that the person lives in their own private reality.

SamSpade

Back to the subject - like Larry, I think they should be able to speak whatever they want to say - but I think if they honestly want to engage in politics, they should be willing to get burned like everyone else involved in politics. The press loves to get their hastily formed and sometimes massively ignorant opinions (to this day I'll never forget Steven Tyler grumbling about "those right-wing *liberals*"). But they treat them with kid gloves, because after all, they're celebrities.

I think if they took a hit in the press every time they said something dumb regarding politics - just like politicians routinely do - if their checkered past gets dragged out and scrutinized the same way that politicians typically do - then that would be fair.

Oh, I'm not saying that SOME of this doesn't happen. But you don't get George Clooney or Alec Baldwin's 30-year-old DUI brought out onto the front page. They don't get to make remarks about stoning Henry Hyde and pay for it by having every sordid detail in the press the next day.

Some of them put their hands in the air and say "hey, I'm just a *comedian*". Nope. Sorry. You want to play, you gotta pay. Why? Because they GET a microphone that *I* don't get unless I run for office. They GET a free shot at publicity I don't get unless I make the decision to get into politics myself and subject my family to public humiliation.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tonio...

there is some entertainment value in seeing ignorant stars of all political persuasions run their mouths.

I don't think of them as ignorant per se.

They are spouting what they feel and believe and without fail, no REASON why.

What I'm after is a public accounting of what they ARE all about so that judgments can be made in who they support.

As far as Nugent goes, he is the only celeb who has pointed out publicly that in the case of Ozzy and his show, we are choosing to be entertained by a tragic, screwed up person.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SamSpade
The press loves to get their hastily formed and sometimes massively ignorant opinions (to this day I'll never forget Steven Tyler grumbling about "those right-wing *liberals*"). But they treat them with kid gloves, because after all, they're celebrities.

I think if they took a hit in the press every time they said something dumb regarding politics - just like politicians routinely do - if their checkered past gets dragged out and scrutinized the same way that politicians typically do - then that would be fair.

Good point. Not to defend Howard Stern, but he made a good observation regarding his underling Stuttering John. Whenever John asked rude, embarrassing questions of actors, the sycophantic entertainment press would be outraged. "Omigod, you can't ask a question like that to a great man like Steven Seagal." But when John went to the Gennifer Flowers press conference, the cynical political reporters loved John's questions. "Ms. Flowers, did Governor Clinton use a condom?" "Was there ever a threesome?"

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Tonio...

Originally posted by Larry Gude
As far as Nugent goes, he is the only celeb who has pointed out publicly that in the case of Ozzy and his show, we are choosing to be entertained by a tragic, screwed up person.

He's right.

At the risk of being completely cold and callous, is there something wrong with laughing at Ozzy? He screwed himself up with years of substance abuse, and did nothing to straighten himself out. Should we have pity for someone who makes such bad decisions? I don't think he was an addict, just a partyer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
he alleges a conscious, deliberate conspiracy to take away everyone's guns.
ARE YOU CRAZY??????? Read the papers...there IS a conscious and deliberate conspiracy to take away everyone's guns!!!!! What do you think gun control is all about? ????

D

dems4me

That's exactly my point. People listen to them because they're ***STARS***. When we listen to them, we reward idiocy.

What about listen to AND write a post about it... :killingme:

j/k :flowers:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by mainman
I have not read t his tread, but Elton John thinks AI is racist...

AI--artificial intelligence? Does Elton think someone created a technological clone of George Maddox's mind, kind of like a segregationist version of "The Boys From Brazil"?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
AI--artificial intelligence? Does Elton think someone created a technological clone of George Maddox's mind, kind of like a segregationist version of "The Boys From Brazil"?

Oops... :blushing: Elton was talking about "American Idol."

Some people are also mad about Well Hung: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/next/2001910944_nexthung25.html

I don't have a clue about this stuff, since I haven't seen that program.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by mainman
I have not read t his tread, but Elton John thinks AI is racist...

What say you?
Considering their last winner was a black guy, I don't know how you can call them "racist". I do think their voting system leaves a lot to be desired. But again, it's just entertainment and not an important election so who cares? Everything that ever happens in this country gets called "racist" by somebody - why should AI be any different?