Local Business Charlotte Hall- Do you want them to build apartments there???

glhs837

Power with Control
Because the poors...... because NIMBY.......... what's not to understand. :) they should serve me my coffee and go back to Waldorf......

fatratcat

Looking at the physical location of Charlotte Hall (center of a major artery at the county line) why is anyone who lives there surprised by growth?
If growth, traffic concerns, fast food restaurants (too many, too few), apartments, were a concern, why did you choose to live there?

Isn't Charlotte Hall a Town Center or designated growth area ? I think it is, so again, why be surprised that there may be more development

I truly don't understand the argument

Easy answer, because everything you said above was NOT true when I moved here more than 20 plus years ago. Changes came along one at a time and look where we're at now? I wouldn't mind changes if they were upgrades. This proposal isn't an upgrade. It's another step down a slippery slope.

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Easy answer, because everything you said above was NOT true when I moved here more than 20 plus years ago. Changes came along one at a time and look where we're at now? I wouldn't mind changes if they were upgrades. This proposal isn't an upgrade. It's another step down a slippery slope.

It's been a Town Center for quite awhile. If it's now a targeted growth area you may end up with that sewer system you want.

PeoplesElbow

Realistically though, even as bad as the Park can be, unless you are one of the people actively involved in criminal activity, your odds of being harmed by criminals is pretty low. Barring being the victim of someone ripping off your stuff.

There are pros and cons of each side. You cannot deny the facts though that low income housing increases crime rates and it makes people not want to live near it and will drive down property values.

BusinessTime

Not everything -while I can't tell you how long CH has been a designated growth area or town center I do know that it's always had route 5 running through the middle of it as a major artery to the county. CH is right on the county line and has been chosen by many due to its commuting distance
For jobs. I just think over the period of 20 - 30 years none of this is that surprising.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh! Don't get me wrong. I'm still for a sewer system. I just want it to get nice things like sit down restaurants and decent retail.

So you want all the things that come with a higher population density without actually having to deal with the people?

fatratcat

So you want all the things that come with a higher population density without actually having to deal with the people?

Nice try at framing my answer with a question! "Nice things and people" are not a mutually exclusive proposition. It is possible to have nice people and things in the same town. It happens all of the time.

nutz

Oh! Don't get me wrong. I'm still for a sewer system. I just want it to get nice things like sit down restaurants and decent retail.

well then, take your fancy degree with 6 figure income and get started. What's stopping you from bringing those things to CH?

glhs837

Power with Control
Sorry, but places with silly income levels aside, like high end restaurants and shopping happen where there is a higher population density. I'm open to examples of that happening without either population density or silly income levels.

fatratcat

Sorry, but places with silly income levels aside, like high end restaurants and shopping happen where there is a higher population density. I'm open to examples of that happening without either population density or silly income levels.

The median hh income for CH is about 51K. Let's start with my top 3 potential retirement spots: 1. Lititz, PA- median income about 40K. Safe nice shops, walkable, and good restaurants and bakeries. Harrisonburg VA- Median hh income about 38k. Nice shops, reatil, and restuarants. 3. Havre de Grace MD- Median hh income about 41 k. No restaurants, shops, and parks. They can do it with a lot less affluence, so could CH.

glhs837

Power with Control
The median hh income for CH is about 51K. Let's start with my top 3 potential retirement spots: 1. Lititz, PA- median income about 40K. Safe nice shops, walkable, and good restaurants and bakeries. Harrisonburg VA- Median hh income about 38k. Nice shops, reatil, and restuarants. 3. Havre de Grace MD- Median hh income about 41 k. No restaurants, shops, and parks. They can do it with a lot less affluence, so could CH.

Hmm, these aerial's show some pretty dense population. nothing like Charlotte Hall......... my point is pretty clear. You want city amentities, you need to live in a city. You want country living, you live in the country.

Charlotte Hall- Pop Density = 237.8/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...71219546e5852b0!8m2!3d38.4809565!4d-76.778022

Litiz, Pa Pop Density = 3,884.0/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...9a1a2dc038e7ec!8m2!3d40.1573169!4d-76.3069014

Harrrisonburg, VA, a college town I might add, home to James Madison Uninversity, Population Density was = 2,811.1/mi2

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...4e65b9dabd7b5f!8m2!3d38.4495688!4d-78.8689155

Havre De Grace - Population Density = 2,354.9/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...27c9fba4b7aa3fb!8m2!3d39.5492792!4d-76.091617

One reason the median incomes are such a close match is that there are lots of people in apartments bringing the average down.

fatratcat

Hmm, these aerial's show some pretty dense population. nothing like Charlotte Hall......... my point is pretty clear. You want city amentities, you need to live in a city. You want country living, you live in the country.

Charlotte Hall- Pop Density = 237.8/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...71219546e5852b0!8m2!3d38.4809565!4d-76.778022

Litiz, Pa Pop Density = 3,884.0/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...9a1a2dc038e7ec!8m2!3d40.1573169!4d-76.3069014

Harrrisonburg, VA, a college town I might add, home to James Madison Uninversity, Population Density was = 2,811.1/mi2

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...4e65b9dabd7b5f!8m2!3d38.4495688!4d-78.8689155

Havre De Grace - Population Density = 2,354.9/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...27c9fba4b7aa3fb!8m2!3d39.5492792!4d-76.091617

One reason the median incomes are such a close match is that there are lots of people in apartments bringing the average down.

According to the county CH is a designated town center. I guess the county government agrees with me. I still say build a sewer and nice things. Your argument that they won't notice us, if we don't build anything is falling flat on it's face. After all, this whole discussion is about intentions to build an apartment complex. Looks like it's too late for you to cry "But we're rural!"

glhs837

Power with Control
According to the county CH is a designated town center. I guess the county government agrees with me. I still say build a sewer and nice things. Your argument that they won't notice us, if we don't build anything is falling flat on it's face. After all, this whole discussion is about intentions to build an apartment complex. Looks like it's too late for you to cry "But we're rural!"

You can designate all you want. My point was that apartments bring the sort of population density and associated amounts of spendable income to draw nice things. You seem to thing that you should only get nice sit down places and high end shopping without having a broad selection of income levels and a lot of people. My point was that that's not going to happen. Unless you are referring to my point that apartments don't automatically mean being inundated with endless baby mommas all sitting on the stoop waiting for the next baby daddy to come along, 40oz in hand.

fatratcat

What are "nice things"?

A nice sit down restaurant where veterans at Charlotte Hall can go when their family visits on the weekend. Sit down and break bread. More than one option for grocery shopping. I don't count McKay's, I've already bought too much expired stuff there. How about we combine the health care facilities into a single useful place that an elderly person can go at 3 am to get triaged? Doesn't have to be a trauma center just a better option than a 20 plus mile trip. Expand the CH library, which is usually pretty crowded into a community center. Finally, how about a decent coffee shop?

OldHillcrestGuy

I have lived in Charlotte Hall for close to 39 years now, I have seen a lot of change come, mostly commercial and its nice to be able go out quickly and pick something up from the grocery store or from one of the many fast food places if we don't feel like cooking. Subway is the only place we usually go to. One or two more sit down places to eat would be nice, Ledo's and Tequilla are two of our regular stops. CH is so close to being the central point of the 3 counties, its not so far 15-20 minutes to go north, Waldorf/Brandywine, west LaPlata, east Prince Frederick or south to California for me to go for shopping and eating out. Theres four hospitals, although the only one I'd go to would be Calvert. I'm surprised in 38 years with it being a central point there is not more things being built.
My neighborhood hasn't changed one bit in 38 years, only that all the original homeowners have pretty much died and now we have started a new generation of young families. We never see a St Mary's officer drive through, and crime very seldom occurs, last thing I ever known to happen, someone left a unlock car and somethings were missing.
Being a town center, theres really not a whole lot of area except on the east side of Rt. 5 and only down Golden Beach Rd to about the 'T' for housing and along Rt.5 down to about Charlotte Hall School Rd. for commercial. Then you are bumping up to Mechcanicsville's so called area, then the next thing you will be seeing is a letter to stop apartments and commercial building there. There's a lot more open space there for building.