Local Business Charlotte Hall- Do you want them to build apartments there???

BusinessTime

I agree fatratcat - I think many residents would like some better dining & grocery options, however some of those same people are reluctant because it is tied to the public water/sewer infrastructure that is needed. Add to that a couple of county commissioners, 2 in particular, who like to hold public services like that as threat over the heads of the public. It seems counter-intuitive to me - why not increase some options in CH and keep that money in the County?

Ultimately , it can't be both ways. The community & their commissioner will need to push to have the town center designation removed and the residents will just need to accept that they won't be getting different restaurants, grocery shopping or other retail.

vince77

I agree with you on the Population density aspect BUT..... there is PLENTY of disposable income in this area to go around.

I grew up where they manufacture and build Corvettes and I have NEVER seen more than I do around here! More cigarette boats, fishing yachts, 4-wheelers, golf carts, huge RV trailers, etc. Don't tell me that lower income is a factor.

yep I couldn't agree more SoMd probably has more vehicles with trailer hitches on the back of their P/U's/vehicles than any adjoining metro area county

fatratcat

Yet so many restaurants in SOMD fail and have failed..even a couple of the Mexican ones have.

Well. I cannot name a single restaurant that has failed in the last 20 year. All are still open. Perhaps different owners, but there are no boarded up restaurants like Lexington Park or Waldorf.

fatratcat

I agree fatratcat - I think many residents would like some better dining & grocery options, however some of those same people are reluctant because it is tied to the public water/sewer infrastructure that is needed. Add to that a couple of county commissioners, 2 in particular, who like to hold public services like that as threat over the heads of the public. It seems counter-intuitive to me - why not increase some options in CH and keep that money in the County?

Ultimately , it can't be both ways. The community & their commissioner will need to push to have the town center designation removed and the residents will just need to accept that they won't be getting different restaurants, grocery shopping or other retail.

Forgive me for not accepting your view that CH has no other choice than downgrade. Sewer will come. Like it or not. When it does we need a better plan than building low income properties. Otherwise, it's a missed opportunity.

fatratcat

I understand that, lived up there myself years back. But theres simply not enough people.

Next time you drive down GB Road, pull off by the Baptist Church and look at the slew of lots for new houses. Most are 400+ K. Just over the Charles line (still in CH) take a look at the slew of 500+K housing going in. Swing by the CH Veterans home and look at the number of residents and employee cars or the Medstar Center or the commuter lots or the Food Lion. There's plenty of people with plenty of income willing to spend.

glhs837

Power with Control
Next time you drive down GB Road, pull off by the Baptist Church and look at the slew of lots for new houses. Most are 400+ K. Just over the Charles line (still in CH) take a look at the slew of 500+K housing going in. Swing by the CH Veterans home and look at the number of residents and employee cars or the Medstar Center or the commuter lots or the Food Lion. There's plenty of people with plenty of income willing to spend.

You are talking hundreds, maybe even 2,000 more people, but the place you hold up as examples had 20-30 thousand. "Plenty" means different things to you, looking at parking lots, and a banker signing off on a business plan. Or a franchiser looking over your proposal.

fatratcat

Clearly,you haven't spent much time in CH. Today, at 4 pm, stand by the Exxon or near the commuter lot on GB Road. Count the cars. There's a hell of a lot more people than 2000. Anyone that can't see that needs tin foil on their head!

fatratcat

Plenty" means different things to you, looking at parking lots, and a banker signing off on a business plan. Or a franchiser looking over your proposal.

I'm not sure where your banker or franchiser got their MBA from, but my grad school would call it a "no brainer." There is plenty of income, people, and willingness to spend in CH. There's not a single boarded up restaurant in or near CH.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"Plenty" means different things to you, looking at parking lots, and a banker signing off on a business plan. Or a franchiser looking over your proposal.

Exactly.

But if building permits require infrastructure that isn't there...the point is kinda moot.

Last edited:

mitzi

Well. I cannot name a single restaurant that has failed in the last 20 year. All are still open. Perhaps different owners, but there are no boarded up restaurants like Lexington Park or Waldorf.

I can think of two that are gone. I don't know that they "failed" but they're gone and are other businesses now.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Get a bunch of new construction out of the way and see how fast that changes. Just exactly like in Waldorf and Lexington Park.

OldHillcrestGuy

Sounds like Country Lakes. My wife grew up there.
No, Country Lakes is like 7-8 miles down the road from Charlotte Hall, and to get really technical Golden Beach, has a Mechanicsville zip code, and huntr1 you drive through CH to get to your Mechanicsville home lol.. I'm pretty much in downtown Charlotte Hall, when the windows are open I can here Rt. 5 traffic.
There has not been any large scale housing development started since I have been here. Most are on the smaller size with 25 homes or so. Have not been behind the Baptist church yet to see just how many lots are back there.
The only destination in Charlotte Hall for folks to head to is that nasty Farmers Market, and I don't mean the one at the library. Its a drive through type of place for most of the folks. You know there are still some folks from Virginia that all got transferred to Pax River about 10 years ago still commuting back and forth from Va. every day. Around 330-600pm just check out the tags on the cars heading north on Rt.5.

pbotz

Living in close proximity to Charlotte hall since 2007 I am happy with the status quo. Yes were limited to one reasonable priced grocery store and a limited run of sit down eating establishments but i feel any more growth will choke out the traffic and flow around here. All the conveniences of Waldorf or Lexington park are great however we all know what its like to navigate thru those areas on a weekend or even weekdays now. Why would it be any different here. It is a double edged sword to me. The 2 lane highway running thru just cannot handle the volume of cars. Ive seen it backed up close to the end of the hughesville bypass area down to the library on 235 some days. I use Waldorf as an example as i drive thru there every weekday to work. Ive sat 2 or 3 red light cycles to cross 301. By the time you get thru your hung up going thru all the way down to almost the hughesville bypass. Anyone who has lived here a long time can tell you how rural and empty waldorf was 20 years ago. Now many people prefer to avoid the area and shop or entertain elsewhere due to the traffic and frustrations you deal with there on weekends. Hopefully that sh-t stays away from my living area for many years to come.

officeguy

What are they planning to do for sewage disposal for an apartment project ? A huge septic ? Tie into the private system that the businesses use ?

I have tried many times to stop in CH for either a bite to eat or a cup of coffee. It's really limited, Dunkin for coffee and some Mexican place.

fatratcat

I can think of two that are gone. I don't know that they "failed" but they're gone and are other businesses now.

Golden Beach Diner and that nasty BBQ House? Hensons converted to a bar and House of Ribs into St. Mary's Landing. What 2 were you thinking of?

fatratcat

No, Country Lakes is like 7-8 miles down the road from Charlotte Hall, and to get really technical Golden Beach, has a Mechanicsville zip code, and huntr1 you drive through CH to get to your Mechanicsville home lol.. I'm pretty much in downtown Charlotte Hall, when the windows are open I can here Rt. 5 traffic.
There has not been any large scale housing development started since I have been here. Most are on the smaller size with 25 homes or so. Have not been behind the Baptist church yet to see just how many lots are back there.
The only destination in Charlotte Hall for folks to head to is that nasty Farmers Market, and I don't mean the one at the library. Its a drive through type of place for most of the folks. You know there are still some folks from Virginia that all got transferred to Pax River about 10 years ago still commuting back and forth from Va. every day. Around 330-600pm just check out the tags on the cars heading north on Rt.5.

Looks like 20+ behind the Baptist Church, about a dozen on Rt 6 near Lettie Dent, and I couldn't count the number in Carrico Mills but definitely more than 30.

fatratcat

Hmm, these aerial's show some pretty dense population. nothing like Charlotte Hall......... my point is pretty clear. You want city amentities, you need to live in a city. You want country living, you live in the country.

Charlotte Hall- Pop Density = 237.8/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...71219546e5852b0!8m2!3d38.4809565!4d-76.778022

Litiz, Pa Pop Density = 3,884.0/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...9a1a2dc038e7ec!8m2!3d40.1573169!4d-76.3069014

Harrrisonburg, VA, a college town I might add, home to James Madison Uninversity, Population Density was = 2,811.1/mi2

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...4e65b9dabd7b5f!8m2!3d38.4495688!4d-78.8689155

Havre De Grace - Population Density = 2,354.9/sq mi

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...27c9fba4b7aa3fb!8m2!3d39.5492792!4d-76.091617

One reason the median incomes are such a close match is that there are lots of people in apartments bringing the average down.

Good news! Dunkirk MD has a population density of 348 psm and they are getting a new Harris Teeter. By my math, CH has about 70 plus houses underway. If each family has 3 or 4 people. We'll be able to meet the density requirement for a Harris Teeter! Read the article link below:

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1016/calvertharristeeterprojectseeksexception.html

glhs837

Power with Control
Good news! Dunkirk MD has a population density of 348 psm and they are getting a new Harris Teeter. By my math, CH has about 70 plus houses underway. If each family has 3 or 4 people. We'll be able to meet the density requirement for a Harris Teeter! Read the article link below:

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1016/calvertharristeeterprojectseeksexception.html

Ah, so close, you were, remeber what I said about income levels? And your response was this........

The median hh income for CH is about 51K. Let's start with my top 3 potential retirement spots: 1. Lititz, PA- median income about 40K. Safe nice shops, walkable, and good restaurants and bakeries. Harrisonburg VA- Median hh income about 38k. Nice shops, reatil, and restuarants. 3. Havre de Grace MD- Median hh income about 41 k. No restaurants, shops, and parks. They can do it with a lot less affluence, so could CH.

Well, then there's this..........

The median income for a household in the CDP was $107,508, and the median income for a family was $102,240. Males had a median income of $157,900 versus $61,025 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $31,923.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk,_Maryland

So yes, you might approach the density, but they have double or better on income.

nutz

Or I have the balls to speak up and have a say in my community.

Nope, this forum isn't doing squat to help your community. Your views on "helping" are rather skewed also. You say you want to leave, but yet, you are championing the cause for rapid growth. There is a self serving interest that you aren't being upfront about.