Chart shows shocking change in clothing sizes

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Blue, Text, Colorfulness, Red, Purple, Magenta, White, Pink, Line, Slope,

A new chart shows just how much women’s clothing sizes have changes since the 1950s – and the statistics will shock you.

In 1958, a woman who had a 34in bust and a 25in waist – much like Marilyn Monroe – was considered to be a US size 12 (equivalent to a UK 16).

RELATED: WOMAN PHOTOSHOPPED TO LOOK ‘PERFECT’ IN 18 COUNTRIES

However, today a size 12 would fit a woman with a 39in bust and a 32in waist. Which sort of explains why that dress you got in a vintage shop doesn’t quite fit properly.

The chart, created by The Washington Post using data from the American Society of Testing and Materials, shows how sizes based on the exact same measurements have changed over the past 50 years.

Blue, Text, Colorfulness, Red, Purple, Magenta, White, Pink, Line, Slope,

NextJen

Raisin cane
I see women in diet commercials who claim that they fit in a size 6 or something. 😕
Really? They must not have any hips. Even if I weighed 98 lbs, I couldn’t squeeze into a size 6. I have good, childbearing hips :blushing:

Clem72

This is why men's sizes make more sense. Men's sizes are easy, you just measure. A 34 inch waste today will be the same as a 34 inch waste 50 years from now. What's a size 8? I can't find that on my tape measure.

Pretty soon women will want vanity scales to0. Oh no, i'm not 160lbs, I'm a weight 6! No, i didn't turn 40 i'm only an Age 4 and a half.

rio

I see women in diet commercials who claim that they fit in a size 6 or something. 😕
Really? They must not have any hips. Even if I weighed 98 lbs, I couldn’t squeeze into a size 6. I have good, childbearing hips :blushing:
And see, I'm short and squat (thanks to that good ol' Injun blood in me), so even tho I wear a smaller size I never look "skinny". I always say that if I was even 2" taller and the same weight I could be "skinny". But really as long as I'm healthy, the size doesn't mean a lot to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But really as long as I'm healthy, the size doesn't mean a lot to me.

That's me too. I waited decades to be able to eat what I want and not care about how big my ass is. I'll leave that to the younger generation.

Reactions: rio

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hand Raised .... I have no hips and as a young adult was wearing Size 1 Petite clothing (my hip bones were visible). I ate as much as I wanted and TRIED to gain weight to no avail until I started eating snacks while I worked at the computer LOL. My family holds weight in the midsection which is a bad place for it to be around the organs. I'd much prefer to have hips to help hold up my pants :D