Cheap or good?

Do coupons or prices influence your purchases?

• Yes, a good bit

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Not at all

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Curious if anyone is motivated by low prices or coupons rather than good food. Like, would you eat someplace just because you have a coupon? Or would you maybe choose one Chinese buffet over the other because the price is a buck cheaper?

What brought this on is my lunch lady talking about the cost of their cans of gravy. They have excellent gravy - you'd swear it was homemade. But it's more expensive than the crap they might serve at some other lunch place, and the price of the dinner reflects that. So she and I had a brief discussion about how I doubt anyone cares about 15 cents difference, and she says they do.

That got me thinking about how Larry's dad collects restaurant coupons and that influences where he'll go to dinner. Like, we'll say, "Hey, we're going to Shroyers for dinner - want to come?" and he'll say, "Let's go to Jennifer's instead - I have a coupon." Or he'll snub McDonalds in favor of Burger King because he has a coupon for free fries or something.

So :blahblah: to make a long story short, how much do coupons and prices influence where you eat and what you buy?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
"not at all" ... I'll gladly pay more for a place that has good food. :yay: Otherwise, what's the point of going out? :shrug:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
If I receive an incentive for a restaurant that I've already wanted to try, it will probably persuade me to act quicker, so to speak.. But usually, I will look for coupons for items that I use and not the other way around (not purchase something because I have a coupon for it).. Does that make sense? :shrug:

Tomcat

Anytime
Nowdays, I don't see 15 cents making much of a difference. Now if it were buy one dinner get one free or something, maybe. But that wouldn't be my only reason for going somewhere.

willie

quote:
Curious if anyone is motivated by low prices or coupons rather than good food.

Whoops, I didn't read the post before voting. Good food is all that matters if your going out, enjoyment is #1 and if you have a coupon then that is even more enjoyable.

Mikeinsmd

crabcake said:
"not at all" ... I'll gladly pay more for a place that has good food. :yay: Otherwise, what's the point of going out? :shrug:
:yeahthat: I'd rather pay more for good grub than less for the hershey squirts later... :whistle:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
willie said:
quote:
Curious if anyone is motivated by low prices or coupons rather than good food.
Right! So, like, would you go someplace where the food wasn't as good just because it was cheaper or you had a coupon.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Right! So, like, would you go someplace where the food wasn't as good just because it was cheaper or you had a coupon.

Does this have anything to do with Outback being considered fine dining? :confused: Don't they pass out coupons too?

KCM

Right Where I Belong
RoseRed said:
Does this have anything to do with Outback being considered fine dining? :confused: Don't they pass out coupons too?
:lmao: I would rather spend the money on good food. Coupons to a restaurant does not persuade me unless it is for a restaurant that I have been wanting to try out.

vraiblonde said:
Never! Don't sacrafice quality and good eats for the all mighty dollar! :lol:

I've tried the past few months to be a frugal shopper. I clip coupons too.
Everytime we go to the store I forget the coupons. :shrug: And I can't bare to buy anything that isn't name brand.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
crabcake said:
:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Although Happy hour half price appetizers CAN and DOES get me in the door!!

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
RoseRed said:
Does this have anything to do with Outback being considered fine dining?

REALLY? I mean, it's OK, certainly better than fast food, etc. But isn't it just Applebee's with a boomerang and dark bread?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
tlatchaw said:
REALLY? I mean, it's OK, certainly better than fast food, etc. But isn't it just Applebee's with a boomerang and dark bread?
Outback mybe a FRANCHISE operation... but they have the best Prime Rib in the area.

LOVE Boomerangs though, now that ya mention it.. AWESOME ribs and chicken!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Maybe it is just me, but I don't consider chains such as Applebee's, Ruby's, and Outback as fine dining. Not saying they are bad and I do go there for lunch and on occasion dinner. I also have to agree that Outback's prime rib is very good.

Vince

Never used a coupon for a restaurant. Go where I like the food when I eat out. Chain restaurants are OK, like Outback, etc. but I'd rather go to places like Clark's landing, Jethros, Stoney's, Lighthouse, etc.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I will clip coupons for places or things I like or would like to try, but I won't go to a place or buy a product just because there's a coupon for it.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
elaine said:
I will clip coupons for places or things I like or would like to try, but I won't go to a place or buy a product just because there's a coupon for it.
:shrug: dats what I said... :razz: