Cheeseburger Soup

Has anyone ever made or had this? I saw it on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and I'm going for it this week. Call me crazy but I think it sounds sooo good! I don't remember where I found this exact recipe but the place Guy Fieri went was called Grover's Bar & Grill, it looked awesome :yum:

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, warm
4-6 cups shredded cheddar cheese (for soup) (Grover’s uses velveeta)
16 oz of beef or chicken stock (I used beef, Grover’s uses chicken)
1 lb very lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
S&P to taste
4 small tomatoes
½ small head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
1 cup shredded cheddar (for top of soup)

First, chop your onion and add it to a skillet with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook for a few minutes until the onion begins to caramelize then add the ground beef. Add some S&P and cook completely until the meat is no longer pink, then set aside. Take a small stock pot and add the butter and flour and cook for a few minutes to create a paste. Slowly add in the warm milk and whisk until it begins to thicken. Add a little S&P and then begin to add the shredded cheddar a little at a time until you get the consistency you want. I kept it to about 4 cups, but you may prefer to have yours a little creamier. At this point, taste again for S&P, then add the cooked ground beef and stir until it is well incorporated. Serve into soup bowls and top with lettuce, tomato and some more shredded cheese.

Lettuce in soup? Okay! :lol:

Doesn't it though?? LOL I thought I'd be alone in this but dayummm it looked so good on the show I absolutely HAVE to make it :drool:

lovinmaryland

Doesn't it though?? LOL I thought I'd be alone in this but dayummm it looked so good on the show I absolutely HAVE to make it :drool:

Yea sorry that does not sound good at all. I think it is because you are pregnant :lol: You know the whole pickles and ice cream thing.

Yea sorry that does not sound good at all. I think it is because you are pregnant :lol: You know the whole pickles and ice cream thing.

No no no, I saw this a looooooong time ago....just came to mind though since it's starting to get chilly out (not necessarily today) and thought "Cheeseburger Soup.....WALA!!!" :lol:

It's like cheese soup with hamburger in it - sounds good to me!

with lettuce and tomato too ((oh yeahh)) :yum:

Rael

Supper's Ready
That does sound really good but I think I'll try it without the lettuce.
I was wondering what you'd change your name to once you weren't a newbie anymore. :lol:

But :pete:, I saw this episode, it looks great. :drool: Here's a 1-minute youtube recap of it to take a peek at it and feast with the eyes first..

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I saw that episode! It does sound yummy, but I wonder what the sodium, fat, & calorie content is? :ohwell: I know, I spoil all the fun. But I have to wonder! :lol:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Just the smell of hot lettuce makes me want to :barf:

Other than that, it sounds pretty good.
You put the lettuce on top (cold) What does cooked/boiled/fried cabbage do to you?

I saw that episode! It does sound yummy, but I wonder what the sodium, fat, & calorie content is? :ohwell: I know, I spoil all the fun. But I have to wonder! :lol:

It sounds like that burger casserole you do. :killingme Very good and don't ask questions. :yum:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
You put the lettuce on top (cold) What does cooked/boiled/fried cabbage do to you?

It sounds like that burger casserole you do. :killingme Very good and don't ask questions. :yum:

I knowit! But I don't make tater tot casserole very often. Because it is extremmmmmmely addictive! :lmao:

However, you use lean ground beef, low sodium/low fat soup, and low fat cheddar cheese when you make it. :yay:

But :pete:, I saw this episode, it looks great. :drool:

Mmmm doesn't it though :yum:

Just the smell of hot lettuce makes me want to :barf:

Other than that, it sounds pretty good.

Errr I don't often smell hot lettuce...sounds gross :lol: but you could just put it on top to add a little crunch, I mean, what's a cheeseburger without lettuce?? hehe

You did spoil the fun! :lol: Who cares anyway?? I mean, it's actually probably pretty good for you....with the veggies and dairy and...annnd HEY SHUT UP! :lmao:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

no need to wonder..there is a website (i'll have to find it) where you input the recipe and it calculates everything for you. I, however, prefer the highly scientific "guess" method. Wherein I guess that it has about 10 cals per 2 cup serving. :lmao:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
no need to wonder..there is a website (i'll have to find it) where you input the recipe and it calculates everything for you. I, however, prefer the highly scientific "guess" method. Wherein I guess that it has about 10 cals per 2 cup serving. :lmao:
I just plugged in all the ingredients, and based on 8 servings, this is what the program spit back at me: [I used 5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in the main recipe, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese for topping].

Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe

8 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 580.5

Total Fat 44.1 g

Saturated Fat 24.8 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g

Monounsaturated Fat 8.8 g

Cholesterol 130.3 mg

Sodium 702.0 mg

Potassium 327.7 mg

Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g

Dietary Fiber 0.5 g

Sugars 3.8 g

Protein 32.5 g

Vitamin A 27.0 %

Vitamin B-12 24.1 %

Vitamin B-6 11.3 %

Vitamin C 8.1 %

Vitamin D 6.9 %

Vitamin E 2.8 %

Calcium 68.2 %

Copper 5.6 %

Folate 4.3 %

Iron 8.1 %

Magnesium 5.4 %

Manganese 2.9 %

Niacin 19.0 %

Pantothenic Acid 3.8 %

Phosphorus 17.7 %

Riboflavin 14.5 %

Selenium 17.7 %

Thiamin 5.4 %

Zinc 18.4 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I just plugged in all the ingredients, and based on 8 servings, this is what the program spit back at me: [I used 5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in the main recipe, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese for topping].

that divided into 8 portions doesnt seem like a whole lot..but overall for all that darn cheese the cal count isn't as terrible as I thought it would be..:killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
that divided into 8 portions doesnt seem like a whole lot..but overall for all that darn cheese the cal count isn't as terrible as I thought it would be..:killingme

It's pulling a Ben and Jerry's on you. Serving size is probably one cup (8 oz) and you'll easily eat two servings.