Chicago Style Pizza

DaSDGuy

I hesitate to suggest this because I know I'll be met with hoots of derision....

...but.....

....let me gather my courage.....

....almost there.....

(cough)

Pizza Hut has a Detroit style pizza that is terrific and quite similar to a Chicago deep dish.

(runs away and hides)
Good thing you didn't mention extra pineapple

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

stgislander

PREMO Member
Best Chicago style deep dish I ever had was at Old Chicago Pizzaria in Petaluma, California. Place is on the second floor of an 1800s brothel (still has the original decor), while the bottom floor is a magic shop / marionette & puppet maker.
One of the few places in the CG that I'm sorry I didn't get to.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Pizza Hut has a Detroit style pizza that is terrific and quite similar to a Chicago deep dish.

(runs away and hides)
Since when?

The only place I can recall that ever offered "Chicago " pizza was Uno. Not even sure if they are in business
I can tell you that none of the chain pizza joints could possibly make one, they use conveyer belt ovens, no way they could cook a Chicago style pizza through in that system. Need to check with a pizza joint that has a traditional pizza or brink oven.

Grumpy

You could drive up to Deep Creek and go to Uno. :sshrug:
In the early 80s, I took at class at IBM in Chicago, went to the original Uno's and it knocked me off my feet it was so good...Then they went the franchaise route and I tried one at an Uno's in Bowie in 200x (I believe) and it wasn't even close to what I had in Chicago.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In the early 80s, I took at class at IBM in Chicago, went to the original Uno's .
It was 1978 when I went to Gulliver's in Chicago. We were there for a game (college lacrosse) and our coach was from Chicago and insisted on dragging the whole lacrosse team to learn what "real pizza" was all about. He wasn't lyin'...

Toxick

Splat
My husband grew up in Detroit and said that isn't a thing there so he has no idea where Pizza Hut got the idea that it was a "Detroit style pizza".

My guess is that this isn't something that actually evolved in Detroit became a local favorite and adopted as a town staple, but something someone at Pizza Hut thought up, and the marketing team came up with the moniker "Detroit Style" to make it seem like an authentic thing, rather than something that a little executive **** dreamed up.

I further guess that when they came out with this, everyone in Detroit looked up, said "What's this shit, now?" And looked back down.

Still, it's not a bad pizza style. They cook up a deep dish rectangular pie with no sauce on it - just cheese and weird-shaped pepperonis with varying thicknesses - and after it's cooked they spoon marinara sauce on the top. I dump parmesan cheese on top of that, myself - but that's just me.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Still, it's not a bad pizza style. They cook up a deep dish rectangular pie with no sauce on it - just cheese and weird-shaped pepperonis with varying thicknesses - and after it's cooked they spoon marinara sauce on the top. I dump parmesan cheese on top of that, myself - but that's just me.
Now see... that sounds pretty good to me.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My husband grew up in Detroit and said that isn't a thing there so he has no idea where Pizza Hut got the idea that it was a "Detroit style pizza".

They tried going with "Baltimore Style Pizza" but got a lot of push-back from customers over 9mm brass being a standard topping.