Chick-fil-A renovation - FAIL

Clem72

Chick-fil-A traffic obstructing regular traffic flow because their parking lot is too small, but yet if I build a new hardware store in Ridge, I will be required to have 40 parking spaces that I will only fill once or twice a year and I will have to spend thousands in upgrades to Route 5 for ingress and egress IN RIDGE. The deck is stacked against small businesses but the red carpet is rolled out for large corporate entities. Pisses me the *uck off!
Im pretty sure the ingress/egress and parking for the Chik-Fil-A are covered by the strip mall. Those are shared parking spots and shared road access.

Reactions: TPD

TPD

the poor dad
Question ....

I've only seen Chick Fil A's as part of a larger enterprise, like on the periphery of a larger parking lot, never a stand alone .... do they get over because the are adjacent and can claim some of those spaces as part of their plain ?
That’s possible but I don’t know for sure

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
I don't go to any of the fast food places, so I can't complain. 🤷 Well, except 5Guys on a very rare occasion and I park across from it anyway. :yay:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think St Mary's county leads the country in badly designed parking lots.
The engineers who design roads and parking lots here should be mandated to actually drive them on a regular basis. They plan this stuff on a computer, and it looks great and allows for the minimum clearances, but in reality just doesn't work.

One of my biggest gripes is corners, whether it be parking lots or roads, they just don't allow a vehicle to make the corner without hitting the curb or having to swing partially into another lane unless you're driving a SmartCar. The black tire marks on the curbs are the telltale.

CRHS89

I don't go to any of the fast food places, so I can't complain. 🤷 Well, except 5Guys on a very rare occasion and I park across from it anyway. :yay:
Except that the chick-fil-a traffic affects those trying to go to the other businesses there.

SamSpade

The engineers who design roads and parking lots here should be mandated to actually drive them on a regular basis. They plan this stuff on a computer, and it looks great and allows for the minimum clearances, but in reality just doesn't work.

One of my biggest gripes is corners, whether it be parking lots or roads, they just don't allow a vehicle to make the corner without hitting the curb or having to swing partially into another lane unless you're driving a SmartCar. The black tire marks on the curbs are the telltale.
For every one of those, there's at least a dozen DRIVERS who insist on driving a straight line from the turn instead of an arc so as to end up in the lane properly. There's a few places in DC and PG County where - if you pull up to the white line at a traffic light - you will absolutely get hit by drivers making left turns (coming from your right).

I routinely run into drivers who just don't possess the common sense God gave to a rock. When there are TWO turn lanes - and you're in one of them - you remain in the corresponding lane after the turn. I've seen a handful of accidents because the driver in the outer lane decided the INNER lane was where his car should be. THIS happened to me Wednesday - two lanes, at a T, which has one lane - one goes left, the other goes right - except the guy in the right lane decided he was going to go LEFT anyway. It was THIS close.

I'm at the intersection of Chancellor's Run and Great Mills, me on Chancellor's Run, in the left turn lane, pulled up to the line - but not over. EVERY DAMNED CAR misses me by a hair, when there is PLENTY OF ROOM to arc around me. And there are TWO turn lanes there, from northbound Great Mills Road - and they are BOTH trying to merge into the SAME LANE.

Frankly, with this many stupid people on the road, it makes me wonder how the human race will survive.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
I routinely run into drivers who just don't possess the common sense God gave to a rock. When there are TWO turn lanes - and you're in one of them - you remain in the corresponding lane after the turn. I've seen a handful of accidents because the driver in the outer lane decided the INNER lane was where his car should be. THIS happened to me Wednesday - two lanes, at a T, which has one lane - one goes left, the other goes right - except the guy in the right lane decided he was going to go LEFT anyway. It was THIS close.

Frankly, with this many stupid people on the road, it makes me wonder how the human race will survive.

I was sitting at a similar intersection a few years ago, in the left most lane in a double left turn lane, when the woman to my right decided to hit the gas and make a u-turn across in front of my truck and cussed me out for hitting the horn.

:lmao:

SamSpade

I was sitting at a similar intersection a few years ago, in the left most lane in a double left turn lane, when the woman to my right decided to hit the gas and make a u-turn across in front of my truck and cussed me out for hitting the horn.

:lmao:
Saw THAT coming out of Giant the other day. I guess they didn't think they could make the U turn without the extra room.

OccamsRazor

Personal favorite: People who absolutely HAVE TO make the turn NOW! The people who cut across 4 lanes of traffic because they need to make a left or right hand turn and did not get over ahead of time for the turn. Back in the day, when this happened, one would just accept the miss and move over until they got to the next available turn and then back-tracked. Not now! Gotta make this turn 4 lanes over with 50 feet to spare! :rolleyes:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Do you run into them hard, or just enough to knock enough sense to be a rock into them? It depends the offense for me.....😁
I should have kept the 1970 Buick I had for just such a purpose. :lmao:

Reactions: rio

SamSpade

Do you run into them hard, or just enough to knock enough sense to be a rock into them? It depends the offense for me.....😁
Didn't proofread that one enough times I guess.

You know, I delete about half of what I write, and I completely delete some posts before they ever hit. I try not to use the same phrases or adjectives twice - stuff like that. I want to write better, so I check my posts.

And sometimes I just go, what the hell, at least I'll sound normal.

How about "I've OBSERVED" drivers? Better verb choice? There ya go.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
For every one of those, there's at least a dozen DRIVERS who insist on driving a straight line from the turn instead of an arc so as to end up in the lane properly.
Yup. Agree.

When there are TWO turn lanes - and you're in one of them - you remain in the corresponding lane after the turn. I've seen a handful of accidents because the driver in the outer lane decided the INNER lane was where his car should be. THIS happened to me Wednesday - two lanes, at a T, which has one lane - one goes left, the other goes right - except the guy in the right lane decided he was going to go LEFT anyway. It was THIS close.
Happens all the time at Maple/235. I was in the leftmost lane on 235SB turning left onto Maple to go to the bank. Driver in the rightmost left turn lane pulls forward and changes lanes in the middle of the intersection cutting me off. Hit the horn, he DIVES to the right to avoid me. If there had been a car in that lane, it would have been a mess.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Happens all the time at Maple/235. I was in the leftmost lane on 235SB turning left onto Maple to go to the bank. Driver in the rightmost left turn lane pulls forward and changes lanes in the middle of the intersection cutting me off. Hit the horn, he DIVES to the right to avoid me. If there had been a car in that lane, it would have been a mess.
I do have a hard time, sometimes, with that turn. I'm heading to the school, so I get in the rightmost lane, to stay in the right most lane - but it turns into ONE just past the bank. I ASSUME most people in the leftmost lane are trying to go to the bank or Chipotle - and I am planning to keep going straight. But I get cut off by people IN that leftmost lane - I guess because - they think I'm in that lane to turn into that somewhat pointless office park?

So I'M the one usually gunning it. I never know what the other driver thinks the turn is supposed to do.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I do have a hard time, sometimes, with that turn. I'm heading to the school, so I get in the rightmost lane, to stay in the right most lane - but it turns into ONE just past the bank. I ASSUME most people in the leftmost lane are trying to go to the bank or Chipotle - and I am planning to keep going straight. But I get cut off by people IN that leftmost lane - I guess because - they think I'm in that lane to turn into that somewhat pointless office park?

So I'M the one usually gunning it. I never know what the other driver thinks the turn is supposed to do.
Again, poor road design and lack of lane markers. It's basically a free-for-all. Happens to me too. If I'm turning for the bank, I'm in the left lane. If I'm going home in the same direction as the school, right lane, but no matter what you do, it seems to be wrong.

rio

Didn't proofread that one enough times I guess.

You know, I delete about half of what I write, and I completely delete some posts before they ever hit. I try not to use the same phrases or adjectives twice - stuff like that. I want to write better, so I check my posts.

And sometimes I just go, what the hell, at least I'll sound normal.

How about "I've OBSERVED" drivers? Better verb choice? There ya go.
It's all in good fun, hope it was taken that way!

frequentflier

happy to be living

When I did landscape maintenance, I always said that landscape "architects" should have to work in the field for at least a year before getting licensed. What looks good on paper often does not work as far as functionality and practicality.
I refused landscaping jobs that insisted I install plants that were not appropriate for the space and had a lady cuss me out for not planting a tree that promised to get really tall under a power line. She found someone else to do it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
When I did landscape maintenance, I always said that landscape "architects" should have to work in the field for at least a year before getting licensed. What looks good on paper often does not work as far as functionality and practicality.
I refused landscaping jobs that insisted I install plants that were not appropriate for the space and had a lady cuss me out for not planting a tree that promised to get really tall under a power line. She found someone else to do it.
I like maintenance free landscaping, if it is possible.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think St Mary's county leads the country in badly designed parking lots.

I dunno, man, I've seen some things....

It's what happens when the Governor's meth head high school drop out nephew gets the contract to design the parking lot. A Hunter Biden job.