Chick-fil-A renovation - FAIL

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Saw THAT coming out of Giant the other day. I guess they didn't think they could make the U turn without the extra room.
Was stuck behind some fine upstanding citizen doing 35 and a 55, On my way to giant. When four of us could finally get out and around him we got a little ways ahead and I watched him turn right into the Wawa parking lot from the middle lane of 235.

glhs837

Power with Control
I do have a hard time, sometimes, with that turn. I'm heading to the school, so I get in the rightmost lane, to stay in the right most lane - but it turns into ONE just past the bank. I ASSUME most people in the leftmost lane are trying to go to the bank or Chipotle - and I am planning to keep going straight. But I get cut off by people IN that leftmost lane - I guess because - they think I'm in that lane to turn into that somewhat pointless office park?

So I'M the one usually gunning it. I never know what the other driver thinks the turn is supposed to do.

Yep, if you are ahead of the other car, you get to choose. In airplane terms, its "deconfliction". Same rason smart bikers get between packs of cars and sort of stay there

Last edited:

awol

The engineers who design roads and parking lots here should be mandated to actually drive them on a regular basis. They plan this stuff on a computer, and it looks great and allows for the minimum clearances, but in reality just doesn't work.

One of my biggest gripes is corners, whether it be parking lots or roads, they just don't allow a vehicle to make the corner without hitting the curb or having to swing partially into another lane unless you're driving a SmartCar. The black tire marks on the curbs are the telltale.
a good example is the strip mall in front of Harris Teeter. A car cannot back out more than 6" before it is in the travel lane, which is itself too small. In fact, that entire shopping center is squeezed in on a lot too small. The designer must have been an intern....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
a good example is the strip mall in front of Harris Teeter. A car cannot back out more than 6" before it is in the travel lane, which is itself too small. In fact, that entire shopping center is squeezed in on a lot too small. The designer must have been an intern....
Notice the corner heading towards 235 in front of MOD? It's been run over so many times. Have to swing VERY wide to avoid hitting it, and at that point you're in the oncoming lane.

PeoplesElbow

Notice the corner heading towards 235 in front of MOD? It's been run over so many times. Have to swing VERY wide to avoid hitting it, and at that point you're in the oncoming lane.
I see it gets hit a ton, I've never thought it was that bad though. The curbs in the Walmart lot get it all the time too.

Friend has had to put 4 tires on his wife's right rear this year alone.

awol

I see it gets hit a ton, I've never thought it was that bad though. The curbs in the Walmart lot get it all the time too.

Friend has had to put 4 tires on his wife's right rear this year alone.
yeah, that is another stupid parking lot design. That thru lane is not wide enough to allow a car to turn into one lane when a car is passing in the opposite lane. Not quite as ridiculous as the area in front of Harris Teeter, though. First Colony is another badly designed parking lot where traffic flow and ease of use were not considered.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
yeah, that is another stupid parking lot design. That thru lane is not wide enough to allow a car to turn into one lane when a car is passing in the opposite lane. Not quite as ridiculous as the area in front of Harris Teeter, though. First Colony is another badly designed parking lot where traffic flow and ease of use were not considered.
Coming out of Lowe's/Burger King is the WORST.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
One thing that always infuriates me.... WHY do they design a store plaza where the cars have to pass directly in front of the store in direct competition with pedestrians?? It would take no effort to design a car-free entrance to the stores, and have the vehicles pass towards the rear of the lot, with special access for handicapped.

PeoplesElbow

One thing that always infuriates me.... WHY do they design a store plaza where the cars have to pass directly in front of the store in direct competition with pedestrians?? It would take no effort to design a car-free entrance to the stores, and have the vehicles pass towards the rear of the lot, with special access for handicapped.
I can't think of one where they actually have to.