Child Support Assurance Program - good or bad?

K

Kizzy

Another thing, the state and federal government workers responsible for collecting these monies need to start doing their job or be fired. Yes, fired.

A woman that lives 6 doors down from me hasn’t seen a child support check in over a year, but the government department responsible for collecting the money has made no effort in collecting the money thru direct debit or by garnishing wages. Why? Could it be lazy workers or a terrible tracking system?

Several years ago the IRS took on the responsibility of checking to see if the person who is getting a refund owes any child support and took the refund and gave it to the spouse who the monies were owed. This works only if they are getting a refund and if they file.

Earlier this year, someone at work needed me to help him file his taxes for the past 5 years. I asked him if he had received any notifications from the state or federal government about not filing and he said no. UFB that somebody can go 5 years without filing a tax return and it went unnoticed. You would think in a day and age of computers that the system would work better than this.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by IM4Change

A woman that lives 6 doors down from me hasn’t seen a child support check in over a year, but the government department responsible for collecting the money has made no effort in collecting the money thru direct debit or by garnishing wages. Why? Could it be lazy workers or a terrible tracking system?

or maybe they feel it wouldn't be an issue if she hadn't needed a warm body between her thighs.

TWLs wife

Re: Waitaminnit...

Originally posted by Toxick
So we, the taxpayers, get the joys of paying child support, without having all the unprotected sex first.

Nosir - I don't like it.

Maybe what they should do is try actually enforcing the laws that are already in place. Put dead-beat parents in fcking jail where they belong.

Off the top of my head I can think of two people who should be in jail for YEARS of unpaid child support.

Scumbags both of them - and (SURPRISE) there has been NO intervention by social services or any other government agent - and NOW the government wants to throw money at the problem.

:burning:

In all honesty, to make a long story short, I would benefit greatly from this ridiculous plan - and I still think it's a Very Bad Idea.

I think your right. They need to go to jail. Those people to don't pay child support Should be in jail & thought away the key. With not being able to see their children too.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by SmallTown
or maybe they feel it wouldn't be an issue if she hadn't needed a warm body between her thighs.

That is such a sexist comment. She was married to that warm body between her thighs. The reader's digest version is that he was caught cheating, she left, she contacted a lawyer, the court ordered him to pay and he hasn't.

SmallTown

Football season!
That is such a sexist comment. She was married to that warm body between her thighs. The reader's digest version is that he was caught cheating, she left, she contacted a lawyer, the court ordered him to pay and he hasn't.

Then put him in jail. Of course, this won't get her the money any faster, but at least she'll be able to sleep better at night.

Don't get me wrong, if the guy is the one screwing everything up, then sure he should pay. But regardless of fault, I'm not going to bail out a deadbeat dad.

K

Kizzy

Why jail?

Why not garnish wages or debit the money out of his/her accounts?

They could use social security numbers to track where a person is working. Once they find out, they can set up a method to garnish the wages out of his/her paycheck.

SmallTown

Football season!
Why jail?

They could use social security numbers to track where a person is working. Once they find out, they can set up a method to garnish the wages out of his/her paycheck.

Works for some, but obvious loopholes.

TWLs wife

Why jail?

They can get out of that. My father did, for my little sister.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by SmallTown
Works for some, but obvious loopholes.

:lol: Lazy workers.

I think the loopholes can be closed and this program work. They really need to do a study and see how much they recoup from snatching that tax refund and suspended a person's driver's license. I’m sure it is very little. If you put a deadbeat parent in jail, he/she losses their ability to earn money to pay that child support. Obviously the system(s) they have now do not work, so use a social security tracking system and garnish wages instead of putting the responsibility on other divisions and departments. They could even offer the Child Support Collector's employee bonuses for those who track and garnish deadbeat parents wages.

TWLs wife

:lol: Lazy workers.

I think the loopholes can be closed and this program work. They really need to do a study and see how much they recoup from snatching that tax refund and suspended a person's driver's license. I’m sure it is very little. If you put a deadbeat parent in jail, he/she losses their ability to earn money to pay that child support. Obviously the system(s) they have now do not work, so use a social security tracking system and garnish wages instead of putting the responsibility on other division and departments. They could even offer employee bonuses for those who track and garnish deadbeat parents wages.

They've done that to my father, but he still found ways to out of that. That's in VA.:frown:

TWLs wife

Originally posted by *archimedes*
I was wondering if he was going to the blessing tomorrow. :confused:

No way. I feel like my father died years ago. That's one person who will never meet Brian or Justice. He will never know his new grandson. I HATE HIM:burning:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by TIGGER6035
No way. I feel like my father died years ago. That's one person who will never meet Brian or Justice. He will never know his new grandson. I HATE HIM:burning:

:shocked: What happened to forgiveness?

What happened to "turn the other cheek"??

How can you turn your back on your own flesh and blood in such a manor??

TWLs wife

Originally posted by justhangn
:shocked: What happened to forgiveness?

What happened to "turn the other cheek"??

How can you turn your back on your own flesh and blood in such a manor??

Because when I was 18 years old he tryed to kill me, that's why.

TWLs wife

Originally posted by *archimedes*
Does he live in Smalltown's neighborhood with the rest of the criminals?

True, He's lives in Smalltowns area too. What I least heard. Danville & roanock areas.:burning:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
While as the sole provider for my son it would be nice to have some help I'd still have to say no to a program like this. I help myself and I help my son. I know of many others that depend too much on their child support to get them through each month. This would only amplify that problem and make these people even more co dependant.

I DO think that MD needs to get off their a$$es and do something about dead beat dads. It absolutely infuriates me the way the system works (or actually doesn't work). I'll let you all know about my situation....

The ex and I seperate in Feb of 2002. I see a lawyer and file for custody. The ex is served a Complaint for Custody and has 30 days to respond or will be held in "default" and will no longer have the option of contesting. Of course he doesn't respond and a default order is signed by a judge.

We have our first court apperance in July. Yes, July and I filed in Febuary. The stupid magestrate that sees family court cases in Charles County has a default rder in front of her signed by a judge but decides anyway to override it and give my ex an additional 30 days to resond and seek legal advice. Mind you there was nothing extrodinary about what I asked for in the custody agreement that gave her good reason to do this; child support set on MD guidelines, sole custody with him having visitation one day a week. I didn't even seek back child supprt from when we seperated. So anyway, she puts a temporary custody order in place and gives the ex 30 more days to contest. Does he do anything? Absolutely not.

Another default order is signed and this time I only have to give a deposition in front of a clerk as opposed to going back to court. But mind you this all cost me several hundred extra dollars in legal fees for NOTHING because the original defalt order should have been honored.

I never see a dime of child support. I call my lawyer in September to let him know and he informs me that MD won't even charge him until he is 90 days past. 90 days past rolls up and we file. That was in October. I don't get my day in court until April.

Back to court in April... My ex is being charged with contempt of court for non payment of child support. He's scared he's going to go to jail because MD does so much talking about coming down hard on dead beat dads; he asks my lawyer what he can do to stay out of jail. My lawyer tells him he can pay an extra $200 a month towards his arrears in addition to his regular ordered support. Pay my legal fees for having to take him back and pay me $500 within 10 days towards his arrears. Plus his support will be cllected via wage lein. We go into the court room with the agreement and it's set.

I get support May, June, July then he gets fired. Makes no attempt at getting a new job and of course I stop getting any support. In October I call my lawyer and tell him the ex is 90 days past. I have yet to see any court papers.

I guess the bottom line is. I feel that with all the hype MD puts towards going after dead beat dads they really don't do crap. I'm not just some freaking welfare case thay lies off the system. I pay for my son by myself and have always had a job and paid my taxes. I pay my taxes therefore I feel as more should be done to enforce child support laws. Stick his a$$ in jail for 30 days. Not like he's paying me anyway. Stick him in jail on work release until his arrears are paid. Something more then they're doing would be nice.