Chinese Blimp over US

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Those boys in WV will figure out a way to bring it down if it passes overhead.

"Here, hold my beer...."
From the original article:
The balloon is currently traveling at an altitude well above commercial air traffic...

So, better than 35,000 feet. If the WV boys can find a way to take it down from up there, I sure don't want them on my bad side. And def want them on my side when the government revolt happens.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Maybe a small hole to slowly deflate?
Well, let's think about this. Weather balloon - it's barely filled at the ground, just enough to let it lift off. As it ascends, it expands. If you were to remove some of the gas at altitude (30,000+) and return it to the earth, it wouldn't have enough lift to keep it buoyant.

If you slowly release the blimp's gas at altitude, it will descend. If the release is not checked, it will fall faster and faster. By the time it gets near the ground it will be a rock and plummet and crash. Spectacularly.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well if reports are true the Pentagon has said it has changed course. That makes it an airship and not a balloon. Weather balloons go up until they pop, this thing is operating at around 60,000 feet.
Had to assume it was a controlled device. Leaving it to the air currents at that altitude wouldn't be useful.

Still a lot of unknowns here, but airship does fit the description more accurately.

And to be clear, I didn't call this whatever a ballon. I did call it a blimp. Blimps are controllable. I just used a weather balloon to describe what would happen with gas release.

WingsOfGold

Well, let's think about this. Weather balloon - it's barely filled at the ground, just enough to let it lift off. As it ascends, it expands. If you were to remove some of the gas at altitude (30,000+) and return it to the earth, it wouldn't have enough lift to keep it buoyant.

If you slowly release the blimp's gas at altitude, it will descend. If the release is not checked, it will fall faster and faster. By the time it gets near the ground it will be a rock and plummet and crash. Spectacularly.
Good point :(

WingsOfGold

Had to assume it was a controlled device. Leaving it to the air currents at that altitude wouldn't be useful.

Still a lot of unknowns here, but airship does fit the description more accurately.

And to be clear, I didn't call this whatever a ballon. I did call it a blimp. Blimps are controllable. I just used a weather balloon to describe what would happen with gas release.
This thing so they say it can maneuver. Looks like Dementia Joe has some serious shiit on his face.
Ping to dementia........... raise big enough stink we will release bank records, you still owe us.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

When I was at Norwich, we experimented with various homemade explosives, ATF was on campus at lea 1 or 2 times each semester.

Spring of 78, we decided to launch a weather balloon with a loaded gondola from the roof of the southern most barracks on campus when the wind was blowing north towards the local town square. Perfect conditions on a Saturday night a little before midnight, launch was made.

Timer worked perfect, flares strapped to the outside lit just as the craft cleared the spire of the admin building at the north end of the barracks quad.

From the semi-darkness below, heard a voice yelling; "It is balloon!!!" It sounded like one of the Imperial Iranian Navy cadets who were studying there.

About 10 minutes later the barometric switch worked perfect as the balloon made 5,000' altitude above the town.
BOOM!!! went the 5 pounds of homemade dynamite.

Most every cadet on campus knew who we culprits were, ATF never found out.

One of our team members was a Physics major who specialized in atmospheric dynamics.

herb749

Did it fly over Canada 1st .? To get to Montana it has the fly over Washington & Idaho, or did no one there notice it.

Reactions: BOP