Christmas and New Year's Food

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Whatcha all making for tonight, tomorrow, NYE, etc?
Made some mini-lava cakes for a mid-day treat.
Tonight is cold shrimp and pan-fried crabcakes.
Tomorrow for b'fast is either going to be raisin toast or an almond-filled Panettone cake.
Dinner is a pheasant with bread/apple stuffing, a roasted butternut squash with wild rice filling, pumpkin pie.

Going to make a turducken (yes, I see the possibilities for word play here....) for NYE, not sure what I'll make with it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Went to Uncle D's for ribs today.

Tomorrow is Beef Tenderloin With Madeira-Dijon Sauce and pumpkin crunch cake. I think sister is doing mashed sweet potatoes and roasted Brussels.

Grumpy

Can't find a Beef Tenderloin in PF, went to all the stores this morning. Plan B, heading to Nicks for a Standing Rib Roast..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Can't find a Beef Tenderloin in PF, went to all the stores this morning. Plan B, heading to Nicks for a Standing Rib Roast..
I don't doubt it. I bought it at Giant last week. They only had two left. Aldi's didn't have any.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Giant had a few and a few rib roasts yesterday. I guess they're portioning them out. Not cheap.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Baked, glazed ham (a la Bann!) Potatoes Au Gratin, Roasted green beans, Escalloped Corn, and rolls. Dessert: Butterscotch Fantastic (a refrigerator dessert) because I finally found instant butterscotch putting this year! :yahoo:

New Year's? I haven't even planned that dinner, yet. I'm ringing in the new year at Swan Point Country Club and Golf Course with Three Days of Rain and a bunch of friends. First time out on NYE in FOREVER. Not sure I want to cook the next day. :dance: :dye: :bann:

Grumpy

Think I got the last Rib Roast in PF..:lol: Got to Nick's at 3:10, never crossed my mind that they would close early on Xmas Eve..duh..they closed at 3. I had been at Safeway earlier and I knew they were out of Rib Roasts so I tried Giant. There were none out but asked the butcher if there were any in the back. He said no but said wait a minute, I think I know where one is., he came back with the last one. $127.67 for an 8.5 lb'er. With a bonus card and the cashier gave me a coupon, ended up being $50.62..I don't know how the bonus works but I wasn't gonna argue..Definitely my lucky day..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Think I got the last Rib Roast in PF..:lol: Got to Nick's at 3:10, never crossed my mind that they would close early on Xmas Eve..duh..they closed at 3. I had been at Safeway earlier and I knew they were out of Rib Roasts so I tried Giant. There were none out but asked the butcher if there were any in the back. He said no but said wait a minute, I think I know where one is., he came back with the last one. $127.67 for an 8.5 lb'er. With a bonus card and the cashier gave me a coupon, ended up being $50.62..I don't know how the bonus works but I wasn't gonna argue..Definitely my lucky day..
You sure lucked out!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was interested in making a brisket. I remembered how well the ones Vince made came out. Looked at some last month. :yikes: I'm not spending $70 or $80 on a first time try just to screw it up. I'll go to Mission BBQ when I have an urge.
Not the price to practice on!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They had rib roast at the commissary $5.99/lb so Monello roasted one the other night that we've been eating on. I made deviled eggs and he did chicken skewers for the party tonight, and other than that we haven't considered food. Probably Chinese buffet tomorrow - fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra.

Grumpy

I was interested in making a brisket. I remembered how well the ones Vince made came out. Looked at some last month. :yikes: I'm not spending $70 or $80 on a first time try just to screw it up. I'll go to Mission BBQ when I have an urge.
First one I smoked was 70 some dollars, scared me to death that I was gonna hose it up..12 hour smoke and I heard it was great, the tension was too much after 3 hours and had to have a drink or 2.. It was great the next day :)

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Rib roast on the charcoal rotisserie tomorrow. Breakfast tomorrow is probably eggs and deer sausage.
I have a nice rib roast, but loaned my sous vide cooker to family in AR, so it won't be until late March I can get it back. My plan is to sous vide the rib roast, then finish it on a hot rotisserie.

rio

Just had the last guests leave....we had a smoked ham with spiced peach glaze, fried oysters (thanks to my nephew!), corn, green beans, kale, roasted potatoes, pumpkin pie, ginger cookies, and chocolate ganosh (sp???) dipped sugar cookies.

Burp....

General Lee

I have a nice rib roast, but loaned my sous vide cooker to family in AR, so it won't be until late March I can get it back. My plan is to sous vide the rib roast, then finish it on a hot rotisserie.
When it comes to smoking on a smoker and a rotisserie over a fire, I'm pretty comfortable. Your posts about the sous vide definitely has peaked my interest in giving that a try.

PJay

Rib roast on the charcoal rotisserie tomorrow. Breakfast tomorrow is probably eggs and deer sausage.

Never had a rib roast. Not even sure how to cook it. I've seen pictures but they always look bloody. Have you roasted one in the oven? Recipe?