Christmas and New Year's Food

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Tomorrow is homemade lasagna, salad, garlic bread and tiramisu. Sunday is prime rib, twice baked potatoes, and roasted Brussels sprouts. NYE is an assortment of appetizers to share at a party (don't tell the police of my gathering of over 20 people!).

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Having never made one before, and regardless of how you cook it, use a thermometer to prevent over or under cooking. Real easy to miss the mark if you're distracted.

General Lee

Never had a rib roast. Not even sure how to cook it. I've seen pictures but they always look bloody. Have you roasted one in the oven? Recipe?
A rib roast is basically a big chunk of ribeye steak, bone in or boneless. I always do mine over charcoal on a rotisserie. Never done one in the oven. I Season it like I would a steak and since I like medium rare, I cook to about 130* internal temp. If you want to try one, look for a 3 pounder or so, so it's not to expensive and season it as you like and bake/roast it like any other roast to your preferred doneness. Maybe someone that does theirs in the oven will chime and give some pointers. I'm a BBQ kind of guy so cooking over fire is my comfort zone vs. oven type cooking. Its basically the same, just have to pay more attention to your fire temps, but you get the added flavor of the smoke/fire.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Think I got the last Rib Roast in PF..:lol: Got to Nick's at 3:10, never crossed my mind that they would close early on Xmas Eve..duh..they closed at 3. I had been at Safeway earlier and I knew they were out of Rib Roasts so I tried Giant. There were none out but asked the butcher if there were any in the back. He said no but said wait a minute, I think I know where one is., he came back with the last one. $127.67 for an 8.5 lb'er. With a bonus card and the cashier gave me a coupon, ended up being $50.62..I don't know how the bonus works but I wasn't gonna argue..Definitely my lucky day..
THAT was a darn Christmas miracle! :high5:

Reactions: rio

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Bacon wrapped turkey breast on the smoker, asparagus, broccoli, roast potatoes and honey glazed carrots tonight.

Biscuits and gravy w/ bacon and eggs and blueberry pastry.

Prime rib, stuffed ham and the works.

PJay

Bacon wrapped turkey breast on the smoker, asparagus, broccoli, roast potatoes and honey glazed carrots tonight.

Biscuits and gravy w/ bacon and eggs and blueberry pastry.

Prime rib, stuffed ham and the works.

Never thought about wrapping a turkey breast with bacon..going to give that a try...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I’m the only one who likes red in their meat so the rib roast became steaks. Rib steaks at $7.00 a pound is a good deal anyways.

Reactions: rio

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Dinner is a pheasant with bread/apple stuffing, a roasted butternut squash with wild rice filling, pumpkin pie.
Worth the wait.... it was a really good dinner. And to settle the in-the-bird vs out-of-the-bird dispute, you can have it both ways. Saw a segment on a cooking show that rested a turkey breast on top of a tray of bread stuffing. It gets the flavor of the bird drippings without being inside the bird. I did this with the pheasant, and it was great. Going to do that next week with the turducken.

161548 161549 161550

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Didn't take many pictures of dinner today. I took more of the dessert! :lol:

Baked/glazed ham, Potatoes Au Gratin, Escalloped Corn, Roasted green beans & rolls for dinner. Yum is all I can say!

The ham was out of this world flavorful and it was an off-brand (8-1/2lb) ham I got at Weis. :yay:

I FINALLY found instant butterscotch pudding! :yahoo: So, I also made the Butterscotch Fantastic refrigerator dessert that we love. I get asked for the recipe a lot, so I took pics of the stages while making it. I'm definitely done using cool whip. My whipped cream is definitely better and too easy to make. :bann:

UglyBear

Prime rib NEVER cooked more than medium rare. If you do that, you might as well use a cheap cut of meat.
Mrs worked hard to make me overcome my aversion to “bloody” beef, now I’m a full convert :)

Christmas dinner: medium-rare prime rib, mashed potatoes, asparagus, Yorkshire pudding with the beef drippings. Honeyed pineapple for dessert.
Few simple dishes, but perfectly done to our liking — maximum cost/benefit :)

frequentflier

happy to be living
We had a turkey breast, butternut squash, asparagus, smashed spuds and corn. Made turkey stock afterwards for soup and freezing.
My husband and I have no family nearby and had an enjoyable day hauling wood into the basement and then we binge watched Yellowstone from the beginning.

PJay

We had a turkey breast, butternut squash, asparagus, smashed spuds and corn. Made turkey stock afterwards for soup and freezing.
My husband and I have no family nearby and had an enjoyable day hauling wood into the basement and then we binge watched Yellowstone from the beginning.

Watched The Lion King last night. Enjoyed it.