Christmas Menu

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I prefer 1/2 sharp cheddar and 1/2 Gruyere, but will sometimes use 1/3 cheddar, 1/3 Gruyere and a 1/3 (Parmesan and Romano). Top with Panko for some extra crunch.

Exactly! No hard, fast rules. Just make yourself happy. That's what mac and cheese is for.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
a marriage proposal is on my menu.

Yeah, but what's for dinner? Are you taking her out for a romantic Christmas dinner? Will you be with family, having dinner? People wanna' know what you're eating! :wink:

Congratulations!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I prefer 1/2 sharp cheddar and 1/2 Gruyere, but will sometimes use 1/3 cheddar, 1/3 Gruyere and a 1/3 (Parmesan and Romano). Top with Panko for some extra crunch.

I know the foodies here are going to have an issue with it, but if you add a little pasteurized processed cheese (velveeta) to the mix it keeps the other cheeses from separating and getting stringy. The emulsifiers in the processed cheese denature the proteins in the other cheeses to keep the creamy. If you have access to it, sodium citrate does the same thing.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I know the foodies here are going to have an issue with it, but if you add a little pasteurized processed cheese (velveeta) to the mix it keeps the other cheeses from separating and getting stringy. The emulsifiers in the processed cheese denature the proteins in the other cheeses to keep the creamy. If you have access to it, sodium citrate does the same thing.

that's why you have to shred your own block of cheese.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Give everyone a big hug, look into their eyes & tell them how much they mean to you.

I/we get to do that, almost, every day now that living near children, and grandchildren. That’s something I missed so much when moving from TX to MD in 1984. Only saw parents and bros 2 or 3 times a year.

As far as menu: grilled porterhouse steaks with red wine mushroom sauce, hub’s crabcakes, roasted brussels and asparagus, homemade yeast rolls, twice baked potatoes with the works, and Nutella pie for dessert. Merry Christmas, y’all!

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We are heading to FL to spend Christmas with Foxhound's parents & at least one of his sisters, and a few of his nephews. His mom is having health issues, so the majority voted to order a ham dinner from Publix.

None of us traveling down are bringing "the works" with us, nor will have access to all of our own cookware & dishes, etc., so this makes the most sense. Not sure of the sides that come with the dinner, but usually they are of the "processed" variety, so I will probably do a couple things in order to have some home cooked sides. We all also baked goodies that we are bringing to share, so it will be just fine. :yum:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Larry Gude's stepdad made the best mac & cheese and no lie the ingredients were Velveeta, a can of tomato soup, and macaroni. SO good.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oysters Oregano, Rockefeller, and horseradish cheese melted..about 4 full cookie pans worth
Fried Oysters
Country cured ham, thin sliced (just got it out the pot this morning....two days soaking after I took it down from its hook, 8 hours par boiling and 8 hours more soaking)
Chief's Stuffed Ham
Smoked Turkey
Mashed taters and gravy
Green bean casserole
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now that we'll be in a nice place, I'll get steaks and shrimp for the grill, and we'll have them with boracho beans.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Oysters Oregano, Rockefeller, and horseradish cheese melted..about 4 full cookie pans worth
Fried Oysters
Country cured ham, thin sliced (just got it out the pot this morning....two days soaking after I took it down from its hook, 8 hours par boiling and 8 hours more soaking)
Chief's Stuffed Ham
Smoked Turkey
Mashed taters and gravy
Green bean casserole
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie

I love fried oysters, but I've never made them myself.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I love fried oysters, but I've never made them myself.

My brother makes the best fried oysters I've ever had anywhere. Makes a killer fried soft crab too..

I fix all the oysters that get baked on the half shell, and I smoke the turkey. My sisters take care of fixing the veggies and my 85-yo mother still puts out wicked good pies.

It's definitely a family effort.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
It's marked Beef Rib Ribeye Roast? I asked for prime rib and that's what the commissary cut for me with two or three ribs tied. It's like ten pounds of meat. I screwed it up so bad last year - it was tough in some places and raw in others. The cat who eats out of the dump liked it - that should tell you something.

Any suggestions - you sound like you know what you're doing.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/240522/easy-rib-eye-roast/

^^This recipe is pretty close to what I've done in the past. Hit it with high heat for a little time, then slow and low for 1-2 hours. I think a meat thermometer is key for this. Don't open and close the oven a lot, but start checking the temp after 1 hr 20 mins.

Beef Rib Ribeye Roast is Prime Rib...technically Prime Rib is more of a marketing term, Ribeye Roast is it's actual "off brand" term and what Butchers call it.

Last edited: