Church Sign: The Koran Needs to be Flushed

Mikeinsmd

Kain99 said:
Speaking for myself...... It's a perfectly good idea to wipe the planet of Muslims.
Careful here Kain..... I said that about a species of dog that mauls & kills children and folks with their head in the sand came out of the wood work defending the dogs. Lord forbid you upset a Muslim or two.... :lmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Excellent response, Sam.

Here's my personal reason why I didn't like the church sign: The Islamists like Bin Laden spend a lot of time talking trash about Christianity (and Judaism). I'm certain that they flush the Bible and Torah down toilets every day. Do Christians really want to engage in that kind of trashy, disgusting behavior? I couldn't care less about "offending" the Islamists. I'm definitely not suggesting that flushing the Koran makes us no better than the murderous thugs in al Qaeda. I just think the flushing is petty, childish, immature and spiteful, and doesn't represent what Christianity is about. Christians should be above that kind of trashy immaturity.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio said:
Do Christians really want to engage in that kind of trashy, disgusting behavior?
Who cares? Why is it so trashy and disgusting to flush a book down the toilet? If someone flushed "The Communist Manifesto" down the toilet, would that be trashy and disgusting as well? What if I flush Hillary Clinton's "Living History" down the toilet? Or the latest Patricia Cornwell novel?

People get excited and offended by all sorts of things. It doesn't mean they have a legitimate gripe - it just means they are offended.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
What if I flush Hillary Clinton's "Living History" down the toilet?
It's not the flushing, it's the flushing of something precious to someone just to pizz them off. If you flushed Hillary's book in front of her, or worse, took a dump on it, you and I wouldn't care how she felt. But it would be an act of pettiness for you to do that. It wouldn't do a damn thing to drive her out of politics or convince voters not to vote for her, assuming those are your goals.

Personally, if you're going to pizz off Hillary, you should force her to listen to Hannity and O'Reilly for hours on end. :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Tonio said:
I just think the flushing is petty, childish, immature and spiteful, and doesn't represent what Christianity is about. Christians should be above that kind of trashy immaturity.

True colors.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Toxick said:
1) That sign is in bad, bad taste. It is quite unnecessary, needlessly vitriolic, judgemental, inflammatory and bigotted. They should take it down now, as it reflect badly on all Christians.

2) They have every right to display it, and should not be forced to remove it.
This is by far the best response IMHO.
If you take the sign at face value, it looks to me as if the minister is slamming Islam because they do not recognize Christ as the son of god. Reading between the lines leaves the sign open to your personal interpretation.

The sign really does not lend a whole lot of credence to the saying "the birthplace of religious freedom". As a supposed "man of god" his mission is to try and show the "heathen" the error of his ways and put him on the path to righteousness. Attacking the very unifying point of Islam is not a good way to win any converts.

Conversely, this nation was founded on personal freedoms. Free speech, press and religion. The pastor has every right to say this and he is excercising his right that was so dearly won.

SamSpade

Tonio said:
I just think the flushing is petty, childish, immature and spiteful, and doesn't represent what Christianity is about. Christians should be above that kind of trashy immaturity.
You have a point there. When I was in a very fundamentalist church, I had two minds about that kind of talk.

See, we believed we had the only way to heaven. The "lost" world was *everyone* else, including other churches (we generally termed them as 'Christendom' rather than 'Christians' because we didn't regard them as Christians - WE were the only true ones).

And we were VERY careful most times not to let this on, even to the point of confusing OURSELVES. No, we don't believe we're the only ones going to heaven, yes, there COULD be others IF they do the same things we do (there weren't, but we consoled ourselves with this little self-deception). We told ourselves that we stood very little chance of converting others if we came right out at the beginning and declared we were the only ones saved. We ABSOLUTELY believed that - UNTIL we were *asked* that, outright. THEN we backpedalled. It was a constant shift that I grew to loathe.

So, occasionally, I applauded those who came right out and said what we thought, even though I eventually rejected the idea. I recall one confrontation on campus where our campus leader met with the campus chaplain (because, for reasons that might be easier to understand if you're seriously religious - our most bitter opposition came not from the non-religious, but from OTHER religious groups). He told us that he believed we were their brothers in Christ, but that we were misguided. He told the chaplain "Ok - well, we think you are all LOST". We cheered. SOMEONE had the balls to just *say* it.

And most Christians I know, while *wanting* to be polite to others and be respectful - do NOT regard the Koran as inspired of God, as NOT being the word delivered to Mohammed by Gabriel, but almost certainly the made-up revelation by one man - if they even know anything about it at all. We have slightly more reverence for the Koran because of its *cultural* significance than we do for "Dianetics", but attribute about the same importance to both. It's not the 'Truth'. We don't *say* it, but that's what we think. In fact, nobody is going to say it. We are even divided as to how we feel about the *BIBLE*, but - the Koran is just a book to us.

If Muslims want to try to understand US - they're free to try. The other day, some Pakistani women were burning an American flag in protest of the Newsweek article - demonstrating anger at the UNITED STATES over perceived slights at Islam (and not at, say, Christians or even Newsweek - or "The West"). I'd say they need to realize in some parts of this country, such action would get them a well-deserved azz-kicking - such is the reverence people have for the flag. Flush the Koran? Stop burning and pizzing on our flag, which you've been doing for years. START showing respect, and you might get some.

Hessian

Winning the minds...

Sam got me thinking...
Americans generally doubt our media...we turn to world news and the net. We "surf" for news and have a bunch of different sources to consider.

This is not the case in much of the Moslem world. Not only is their programming heavily slanted & their Imams almost uniform in denouncing the west, but they get bits & pieces of western Biased news-and that is their world!
Students who visit the West really might try to blend in but the Universities almost uniformly loathe American History & policy---that is the "education" they get.
Our attempts at getting out the word of truth & fairness & the value of capitalism, rights, and liberty have been inadequate---thus we marvel when we see huge street mobs chanting, jumping, flailing themselves, burning their poverty stricken markets denouncing the US---and all we can do is shake our collective heads while they continue to breed like rabbits.-We're in trouble folks---we have got to open their minds to a world & universe outside of radical Wahabism.

ylexot

Super Genius
At least we don't live in Italy...

Now this is just wrong...
Fallaci charged in Italy with defaming Islam
In "La Forza della Ragione," Fallaci wrote that terrorists had killed 6,000 people over the past 20 years in the name of the Koran and said the Islamic faith "sows hatred in the place of love and slavery in the place of freedom."

The title of the article should be Islam defamed by the truth... :ohwell: