Cigarette addiction...

Addicted or not?

• Yes, addicted smoke junky, am powerless to stop!

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Rather addictive; those who honestly want to stop have a tough time

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Calling it an addiction helps me get attention

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • We say it's addictive because people say it is, true or not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm addicted to smoking like I'm addicted to Ben and Jerry's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's just a habit which can be tough to break

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • It is not an addiction, I just don't wanna quit

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • It is not an addiction

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Right...

A little of both. I like to smoke, don't want to quit, and there are times I'm feaming like a big dog. But mostly it's a habit.

...so, so far anyway, you're not robbing people, throwing up, breaking into tobacco shops at 3 am or unable to function rather noramlly when you are suffering...withdrawl?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...so, so far anyway, you're not robbing people, throwing up, breaking into tobacco shops at 3 am or unable to function rather noramlly when you are suffering...withdrawl?

Might be a little edgy, but so far no crimes have been committed as a result of my nicotine habit. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Habit...

Might be a little edgy, but so far no crimes have been committed as a result of my nicotine habit. :lol:

...you say, Vrail? habit? Describe for the jury, if you would, what constitutes an 'addiction' in your mind if you do not consider yourself addicted, against alleged 'scientific examination of the evidence', to this evil weed?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Just a habit that can be tough to break...

an addiction to me, is something your would steal for, kill for, can't live without...

Per say, spending time with my wife, daughter, and my family, to me is an addiction, I have to have it, and couldn't live without.

Smoking, golf, softball, are habits.. I like doing them, but if someone told me to choose between my addiction and my habits, the habits are out the window. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...you say, Vrail? habit? Describe for the jury, if you would, what constitutes an 'addiction' in your mind if you do not consider yourself addicted, against alleged 'scientific examination of the evidence', to this evil weed?

You are addicted if using the substance is causing problems in your life - relationships, work, health, legal problems, etc - and you keep using anyway.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...I need to do a poll about addiction to denial.

Okay, so you ask a question and when you don't get the answer you want, you insist everyone's in denial?

You yourself quit smoking, cold turkey, without a backward glance. So were you addicted or not?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Okay, so you ask a question and when you don't get the answer you want, you insist everyone's in denial?

You yourself quit smoking, cold turkey, without a backward glance. So were you addicted or not?

thank GOD someone else said it..and it happens to be vrai :lmao:

the thing I stated in the other thread will be reposted here too though...

just because one person (larry for example) can quit cold turkey and not be "addicted" per se, does not mean that the substance doesn't contain addictive ingredients that some people are more suceptable to.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Smokers;

Are you addicted to smoking or just don't want to quit the habit?

I was a pack and a half smoker. I quit 17 years ago and don't miss it a bit. I can't imagine starting that nasty habit back up. The first couple of times I tried to quit, it just didn't work. I started back up. One day I woke up and just decided to quit cold turkey. Never smoked again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
just because one person (larry for example) can quit cold turkey and not be "addicted" per se, does not mean that the substance doesn't contain addictive ingredients that some people are more suceptable to.

That, I will agree with. But to say that nicotine is the most highly addictive drug is silly and anyone who thought about it for 10 seconds would realize that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Of course...

...not. How could one be addicted to something that is not addictive?

People have been smoking for 1,000's of years and no one ever classified it in the same category, until these last 10 years or so, as opiates which have been around for a few years as well. People use to think smoking was something one did or did not do. Not something that one was 'addicted' to.

And I find it a hoot, coming from you, a concern about not getting the answer one was expecting. :lmao: You get invested in a position and you don't just change your mind when people do inconvenient things like disagree with your conclusions.

I just happen to be enjoying this debate. :love:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Of course...

thank GOD someone else said it..and it happens to be vrai :lmao:

the thing I stated in the other thread will be reposted here too though...

...you realize that there are more ex smokers in the US walking around today than there are smokers, right? No one had to change lifestyles or change friends or start their lives all over again after hitting rock bottom. They just changed their habits.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You get invested in a position and you don't just change your mind when people do inconvenient things like disagree with your conclusions.

I'm invested in my position because of personal experience. Others can disagree all they want, but if I've seen something first-hand, it's going to be hard for them to change my mind.