Cigarette addiction...

Addicted or not?

• Yes, addicted smoke junky, am powerless to stop!

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Rather addictive; those who honestly want to stop have a tough time

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Calling it an addiction helps me get attention

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • We say it's addictive because people say it is, true or not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm addicted to smoking like I'm addicted to Ben and Jerry's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's just a habit which can be tough to break

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • It is not an addiction, I just don't wanna quit

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • It is not an addiction

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

As I sit here cross-legged, tapping my toes, it occurs to me that I'm almost incapable of sitting up straight with my legs crossed or flat on the floor like a normal person, and not fidgeting.

When I'm somewhere that I have to behave and sit nicely, I get the same level of anxiety that I do when I've been out of cigarettes for any length of time. Mild, but it's still there.

I think I'm addicted to sitting cross-legged. :jameo:

i'm going to assume that you slouch a bit too? I found out that things like this, slouching for example, crossing your legs so one is closer to the heart than it would normally be (even if not by much) are ways the body compensates (naturally, oftentimes without you noticing) for its negativities. For instance, I have a couple low blood pressure "disorders" that my body would naturally compensate for, but eventually the symptoms got to be too much and I actually had to get medicated for half a year or so. I eventually either grew out of it or told myself that it wasn't worth it to be taking medicine for something that wasn't going to kill me, and I no longer have any real symptoms of my disorders.

just sayin, there is probably a reason you sit like that.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
...were you in rehab? Do you keep up with your meetings? Avoid smokers? Sponsoring anyone to help them stay clean?

I wasn't in any rehab. I smoked for 8 years. On my way back from partying in the florida keys, full of drinking, smoking, I smoked one at the Miami Airport. When I got home, I never bought another pack. I felt ill (not sure if it was the partying, cigs or booze but I felt sick). I don't avoid smokers and often stand out back when some others at work are smoking just to be sociable. I hate to be in an enclosed area with smokers. It makes me gag. I've never had a problem with smokers in bars. I kinda think it's a natural thing to do when at a bar. If I don't like it, I'll leave. Regarding restaurants, keep it segregated. That can be nasty. At work, no way. At home, not in my house. Stand outside, please.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was...

I wasn't in any rehab. I smoked for 8 years. On my way back from partying in the florida keys, full of drinking, smoking, I smoked one at the Miami Airport. When I got home, I never bought another pack. I felt ill (not sure if it was the partying, cigs or booze but I felt sick). I don't avoid smokers and often stand out back when some others at work are smoking just to be sociable. I hate to be in an enclosed area with smokers. It makes me gag. I've never had a problem with smokers in bars. I kinda think it's a natural thing to do when at a bar. If I don't like it, I'll leave. Regarding restaurants, keep it segregated. That can be nasty. At work, no way. At home, not in my house. Stand outside, please.

...kidding, using your experiences to illustrate further how absurd the concept of cigarette addiction is in the first place. One doesn't just stop addictions. :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're...

Hmm I'll smoke a pack in 3 - 10 days, then a couple packs over a month or so and not buy any for 2 months, then get another pack and start all over ...........

Mental Addiction perhaps ..............

...addiction is SO bad that it's just throwing your whole life into unpredictable chaos.

:jameo:

:lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
.One doesn't just stop addictions. :buddies:

Sure you do..

It's not easy, and can be painful.. but people stop addictions everyday.. Hell, Bill Clinton gave up his sex addiction cold turky after Monica..

I'm sure there are crack, cocaine and heroin addicts that do it cold turkey.. don't sign themselves into rehab, don't end up in the hospital, just do it alone..

It has to be excrutiating, but I would bet there are THOUSANDS out there that have done it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

Sure you do..

It's not easy, and can be painful.. but people stop addictions everyday.. Hell, Bill Clinton gave up his sex addiction cold turky after Monica..
I'm sure there are crack, cocaine and heroin addicts that do it cold turkey.. don't sign themselves into rehab, don't end up in the hospital, just do it alone..

It has to be excrutiating, but I would bet there are THOUSANDS out there that have done it.

...I have a bridge for sale...2 lanes, nice view. Over the Potomac. It's yours, cheap.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It is not...

Sure you do..

...excruciating to quit smoking. No on goes to rehab, yet. No one is debilitated. Yet. We dramatize going 'cold turkey' when referring to quitting smoking because people like the attention for an otherwise unnotable change in habits. I doubt the same can be said for kicking addictions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
vrai....You said earlier that you enjoy smoking. If someone invented a pill that instantly took away the addiction in one dose and you could quit without any effort, would you?

Nope - I like to smoke. If there was a pill that would make me dislike beer, I wouldn't take that either. Or one for steak, or Sephora makeup, or iced tea, or pot painting, or anything else I like to do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll answer that...

vrai....You said earlier that you enjoy smoking. If someone invented a pill that instantly took away the addiction in one dose and you could quit without any effort, would you?

...no, she would not because she enjoys smoking.

If she wanted to quit, she'd do it today and that would that.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
...excruciating to quit smoking. No on goes to rehab, yet. No one is debilitated. Yet. We dramatize going 'cold turkey' when referring to quitting smoking because people like the attention for an otherwise unnotable change in habits. I doubt the same can be said for kicking addictions.

I definitely felt addicted for years but when I finally kicked the habit, I feel it made my quility of life a lot better. Not only did my breath and clothing and car no longer stink, I didn't have to plan my day around "how I was going to get my next cigarette." I don't know what completely turned me off of cigs. Unlike other addiction you hear about, I know I will never smoke again even if I just tried it one time. I gag at the thought. Maybe it's all a mental thing.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Nope - I like to smoke. If there was a pill that would make me dislike beer, I wouldn't take that either. Or one for steak, or Sephora makeup, or iced tea, or pot painting, or anything else I like to do.

Yeah, I kinda understand where you are coming from but makeup, iced tea, or even steak aren't going to do this to your lungs.

Attachments

• lung.jpg
    lung.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 73

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I definitely felt addicted for years but when I finally kicked the habit, I feel it made my quility of life a lot better. Not only did my breath and clothing and car no longer stink, I didn't have to plan my day around "how I was going to get my next cigarette." I don't know what completely turned me off of cigs. Unlike other addiction you hear about, I know I will never smoke again even if I just tried it one time. I gag at the thought. Maybe it's all a mental thing.

That's interesting. I don't think I have any bad habits that I really don't enjoy.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I look at it like...

...sex; when I was into smoking I couldn't wait for the next one and I'd be happy any time, any place, look forward to it and so on, grouchy when I had to wait and so forth. In that same context I could argue I am addicted to sex. I've found in the last six months that while I still argue that I am addicted to sex and can't help myself, I can, in fact, get by for extended periods of time without it. I think that is the level of pleasure people take in smoking. Hell, long time smokers would rather smoke than have sex.

tommyjones

hi, i"m TJ and i'm an addict.....

i have never been to rehab, and dont do any of that shiat i used to do. does that mean none of them were addictied?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, I kinda understand where you are coming from but makeup, iced tea, or even steak aren't going to do this to your lungs.

And cigarettes aren't going to do this to me:

Attachments

• obese.jpg
    obese.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 69