Cleaning siding

nutz

Anyone know of a product or chemical that will remove green/black mold from vinyl siding? Bleach and pressure washing aren't working very well. Someone recommended trying what they use to disinfect hospital surgery rooms but didn't know what it is.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I used the Mr. Clean magic eraser mop, I had that green moss looking stuff on the siding, the magic eraser took it right off.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I used the Mr. Clean magic eraser mop, I had that green moss looking stuff on the siding, the magic eraser took it right off.

I didn't know there was a magic eraser mop, I'll add that to my shopping list now. I need to finish cleaning our siding also. Fun times! :lol:

mdxplant

Use Spray & Forget. You just spray it on and the rain will do the rest. It worked on my house and I haven't had it come back after 3 years now. I bought mine at TrueValue. They make different ones now, but I would assume they work as well. Google spray and forget and you can read their website.

owenslx3

super clean.....it used to be in car section at walmart...not sure where in the store now (i havent bought lately) but dont spray it on and let it dry.....gotta do a spot only big enough that you can stay with it to scrub and wash off.....read the label...it works great on those black stains on gutters....but if it stays on to long it can damage the paint

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Anyone know of a product or chemical that will remove green/black mold from vinyl siding? Bleach and pressure washing aren't working very well. Someone recommended trying what they use to disinfect hospital surgery rooms but didn't know what it is.

If power washing and bleach/soap isn't taking it off, I'm at a loss. Always works on my siding. Good luck.

:coffee:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed

Hydrogen peroxide is the only thing that comes to mind. But that won't kill (the mold) it for keeps. And it's a very expensive way to do it.

A REALLY high-pressure wash of just water, should get it off for you for at least 6 months. In other words, I normally use the nozzle that only gives you a 15-degree spread, with the power washer at full throttle, and keep the nozzle relatively close to the siding. The nozzle is color-coded yellow to let me know I could do some damage with it - the 0-degree one is color-coded red to let me know I probably WILL do some damage with it.

Last edited:

General Lee

Use Spray & Forget. You just spray it on and the rain will do the rest. It worked on my house and I haven't had it come back after 3 years now. I bought mine at TrueValue. They make different ones now, but I would assume they work as well. Google spray and forget and you can read their website.

I bought the "wet n forget", applied it to the roof 2 weeks ago. Supposed to take care of the mold and black streaks. Just wondering how long it took the "natural" weather to take it off your siding? I got zero results so far.

Last edited:

wm1953

I use 1/3cup TSP, 1/3cup clorox and 1/2cup tide to gal. of
water in tank sprayer. I brush with non-stiff brush and then
power(presure) wash.

obxtracey

I bought the "wet n forget", applied it to the roof 2 weeks ago. Supposed to take care of the mold and black streaks. Just wondering how long it took the "natural" weather to take it off your siding? I got zero results so far.

I used the wet and forget on my the moss & black streaks on my roof. It killed off the moss within 1 week and then I just brushed away the dead stuff. The black streaks were gone in about 2 days. I've also used it on the shady areas of my brick where it gets green. It removed the green stuff in about 2 days as well.

General Lee

I used the wet and forget on my the moss & black streaks on my roof. It killed off the moss within 1 week and then I just brushed away the dead stuff. The black streaks were gone in about 2 days. I've also used it on the shady areas of my brick where it gets green. It removed the green stuff in about 2 days as well.

2 Days! Its been 2 weeks for me and no results. I've heard good things about the stuff and decided to try it.....its not cheap either. The jug says stubborn stains may take 1-2 months to disappear but I consider what I'm trying to remove minor.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I like this answer too. Rinsing with high pressure (I think) may help, but that might just be the redneck in me. :lol:
:yay: I just put some Clorox in my small pressure sprayer, spray the few green spots I had, rub them with a soft brush IF needed and then rinse using my $1.97 pressure nozzle from Lowes. For tougher moss growths, you will have to re-spray, brush and rinse. I don't let my house get that far gone, so it is much easier for me to clean it off when it shows up...