Clinton Portis done?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Seems as though his replacements run pretty well behind the same crap O-line.The other guys got yards after contact and Portis doesn't is what I am saying. You're remembering Portis from 5 yrs ago. when he can't do it anymore, get rid of him- there are better, more durable, harder running backs who WANT to play

The Skins need to go find them, because if you get rid of Portis then next year's start is not currently on the team. It won't be Betts or Cartwright, sorry. Cartwright isn't good enough and Betts won't be healthy enough even if you guys decide to keep him.

I'm not sure what planet you're living on, but Portis' 4.0 yard per carry average is higher than Betts' 3.8 yard per carry average this season. Cartwright is at 4.5 but only has 30 carries and he's going to be 30 in a week, so please don't start pitching him as the miracle cure. :lol:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
The Skins need to go find them, because if you get rid of Portis then next year's start is not currently on the team. It won't be Betts or Cartwright, sorry. Cartwright isn't good enough and Betts won't be healthy enough even if you guys decide to keep him.

I'm not sure what planet you're living on, but Portis' 4.0 yard per carry average is higher than Betts' 3.8 yard per carry average this season. Cartwright is at 4.5 but only has 30 carries and he's going to be 30 in a week, so please don't start pitching him as the miracle cure. :lol:

i didn't say anything about a miracle cure. Yea they need another back and they need to get rid of Portis. So in your eyes 4 yd per carry is ok even though it could be 4.5 or 5? You are like trying to reason with my ex wife, you attack for no reason, dick.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
i didn't say anything about a miracle cure. Yea they need another back and they need to get rid of Portis. So in your eyes 4 yd per carry is ok even though it could be 4.5 or 5? You are like trying to reason with my ex wife, you attack for no reason, dick.

No -- 4.0 isn't good (better than 3.8), but if you seriously believe 4.5 or 5.0 YPC is possible behind your current OL and passing game, you're living in a dream world. Everyone wants to blame Portis for some reason, when you guys haven't had a passing game in ages and he's still been a top RB during that time. I'm not saying he's having a great season, but he's better than anything you guys would likely come up with for next year unless you find a passing game or get the top RB in the draft. Even with the top RB, you'd probably need a bruiser between the tackles kind of guy to break the 8 man in the box defense.

Why don't you quit being a crybaby or try talking about something else, like ballet.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
No -- 4.0 isn't good (better than 3.8), but if you seriously believe 4.5 or 5.0 YPC is possible behind your current OL and passing game, you're living in a dream world. Everyone wants to blame Portis for some reason, when you guys haven't had a passing game in ages and he's still been a top RB during that time. I'm not saying he's having a great season, but he's better than anything you guys would likely come up with for next year unless you find a passing game or get the top RB in the draft. Even with the top RB, you'd probably need a bruiser between the tackles kind of guy to break the 8 man in the box defense.

Why don't you quit being a crybaby or try talking about something else, like ballet.

Are you saying you want to man up?

Beta84

They're out to get us
Portis is a crybaby...... No wonder Beta likes him! j/k

He's a Cane, that's why I like him. :lol:

But I'm just saying he's better than any other options they have any time soon and maybe they should try to focus on the OL, QB, and WRs before freaking out about the best piece of their offense.

Black-Francis

But I'm just saying he's better than any other options they have any time soon and maybe they should try to focus on the OL, QB, and WRs before freaking out about the best piece of their offense.

Probably should start at the GM and coaching to tell you the truth, or better yet the weasel owner.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

I think the QB and recievers are ok. Cambell can use help with some O-line starters. My point is I would take Cartwright who will give 100% over Portis if he is only giving 75%,I think we have seen his better days

Beta84

They're out to get us
Probably should start at the GM and coaching to tell you the truth, or better yet the weasel owner.

true that!

I think the QB and recievers are ok. Cambell can use help with some O-line starters. My point is I would take Cartwright who will give 100% over Portis if he is only giving 75%,I think we have seen his better days

Cartwright gives 100% because he has 30 carries on the year. He's turning 30 and he isn't a short-term answer, let alone a long-term answer. How do you know Portis doesn't play 100%?

But you just criticized the OL, but then criticize Portis for not finding holes. I'm really at a loss here for how backwards that is. The OL sucks, so you can't blame Portis...OR the OL is good and you can blame both Portis and Campbell. If the passing game was good then Portis would do just fine.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
It would be a great move! Release Portis and your starting running back can be...............

He's not a power back! He's a smaller guy built for speed. You need holes for him to run through and he doesn't get any. That many hits take their toll on a guy of his size.

Yeah great plan. So who's gonna be the RB? Where is your offense going to come from? Right now they stack the box because they aren't worried about your passing game. Release Portis and maybe they can shut down your passing game, because your running game will be even worse. But I guess if you can assemble a super defense then you can win by getting a pick-6 every game and win the games 7-0. Too bad your defense isn't good enough to do that :ohwell:

The Skins need Portis til you guys come up with something else that makes the offense move.

How about drafting a young stud RB in the bottom three rounds. Something the organization hasn't done with that position or the offensive line since at least 2002.

That would be a start.

BuddyLee

Football addict
betts has been given the chance plenty of times. either way, you can't rely on just 1 RB. Betts has been a solid #2, but you won't have one if you ditch Portis.

But Betts is out for the year with a torn ACL and MCL. No chance AT ALL that he comes back at the start of next season in good form. He's also in the last year of his contract and resigning a guy with that kind of injury is just dumb. Try again.
I don't really care who my running back is as much as I do offensive line.

Draft me an offensive line that competes and give me any goober running back and I'll be all smiles.

Timmy Smith anyone?

chess

low 5... hi 5......
How about drafting a young stud RB in the bottom three rounds. Something the organization hasn't done with that position or the offensive line since at least 2002.

That would be a start.

agreed

plus freaking rbacks are a dime a dozen... seriously....

getting rid of portis would be a smart ideal thing.... have a two back rotation with rock and someone else in the draft 5-6-7 round draft pick...

agreed 110% BL

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I don't really care who my running back is as much as I do offensive line.

Draft me an offensive line that competes and give me any goober running back and I'll be all smiles.

Timmy Smith anyone?

I say get a O-line above all else, dump Portis and depending on what you can trade/pick up late in the draft - have a running back by committee if necessary.

BuddyLee

Football addict
agreed

plus freaking rbacks are a dime a dozen... seriously....

getting rid of portis would be a smart ideal thing.... have a two back rotation with rock and someone else in the draft 5-6-7 round draft pick...

agreed 110% BL

Portis was a top 10 RB in the league. He doesn't have much upside though. Now is a good time to cut ties and save money. With the strong possibility of an uncapped year, it would be the perfect time to cut Portis. You wouldn't lose any money from a team standpoint.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I say get a O-line above all else, dump Portis and depending on what you can trade/pick up late in the draft - have a running back by committee if necessary.
All I want in this draft is O-line.

If we draft a QB, fine. If not, no biggie for me.

Draft me an O-line.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
All I want in this draft is O-line.

If we draft a QB, fine. If not, no biggie for me.

Draft me an O-line.

I think he has done much better the last couple weeks, not sure why but I thought he did good against Dallas and if he had some protection we would have had scored TD's instead of FG attempts

PsyOps

Pixelated
Wow. Guess you haven't been watching D.C. football.

He's one of the few that I'd say brings 'it'.
It would be a smart move to get rid of Portis next year.

He's getting older, 30+. Not much upside there. I liked what the Iggles did with Brian Dawkins. The guy still has it but he won't in the near future. They'll save money in the long run.

In one breath you say he “brings it” and in another you say he needs to go. :rolleyes:

PsyOps

Pixelated
:lol: Pansy? Gawd you are one sour fan. I will give you that is no longer a better than average running back but there is no back in the league better than him in picking up blitzes or getting downfield to throw a block for a teammate. He is barely a shadow of his former self as a running back, I don't like him in there, but he was playing because he was, by far, better at protecting the QB during passing downs than anyone else the skins have.

The skins trading for Portis was more about getting rid of Bailey than getting Portis. Champ had so many off-field issues going on that the skins felt they couldn't rely on him and wanted him gone. They got what they could for him and considering some of the lousy deals they have done, this wasn't one of them. From the looks of it, Bailey has straightened his act out in Denver, good for him, but thats all hindsight now.

Portis's running is just one very small part of what is wrong with the skins, as with most lousy organizations, the stink starts at the top.

We can only hope that this year has opened Snyder's eyes to all the failures in the management of this team, I doubt it, but I can always hope.

Yes, I’m sour. Been sour since oh… around 1999. I’m not alone. A lot of people are fed up with this pathetic excuse for an owner paying top dollar for average players. I’m not convinced anything will open Snyder’s eyes because he will never see himself as the problem.

But I think everyone has admitted that it’s time for Portis to go. He has not turned out. He has not made a difference. He was far from worth his weight in the gold Snydie shoveled at him.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Yes, I’m sour. Been sour since oh… around 1999. I’m not alone. A lot of people are fed up with this pathetic excuse for an owner paying top dollar for average players. I’m not convinced anything will open Snyder’s eyes because he will never see himself as the problem.

But I think everyone has admitted that it’s time for Portis to go. He has not turned out. He has not made a difference. He was far from worth his weight in the gold Snydie shoveled at him.

It's quite obvious that not only are you sour, but you don't have a clue about football. "Not made a difference"?? :lol: One player does not make a difference on a TEAM...and you act like Portis shouldn't have taken the idiot owners money. He has been a better than average for MOST of his stay here, for you to say otherwise is just asinine. Frankly, it wouldn't have bothered me if Portis had been gone last year, but your harping on Portis is like you think he is the only problem this team has besides the owner.