Cold Weather Gear

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
i like my full chaps. sexy too....my butt looks kind of heart shaped :lol:

I am looking for a jacket though, warmth without weight or bulk, that unzips both ways. Any suggestions?

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I too wear my chaps every time I ride. I have a thin leather summer pair and a heavy leather winter pair (another warm item my husband forgot, thanks to Omar at Ryceville they now fit ME).

fredsaid2

happyappygirl said:

I am looking for a jacket though, warmth without weight or bulk, that unzips both ways. Any suggestions?

Doesn't unzip both ways but the LL Bean down jacket is like wearing a portable no-weight furnace. It's on sale right now too.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Oh and I cant forget about the B/W cowhide chaps that PlumLoco made me. They are the coolest. I wont tell you about how they ended up in St. Marys Lake, Oh and my cell phone too. :whistle:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
fredsaid2 said:
Doesn't unzip both ways but the LL Bean down jacket is like wearing a portable no-weight furnace. It's on sale right now too.

Saw them at the LL Bean outlet on Kent Island...but i'm short, so i need the two way zip or it bunches up in front and the back of my but gets cold. :frown:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
happyappygirl said:

Here's the jacket I got, zips both ways, LOTS of pockets, super warm. Also has armor/padding in the sholders, elbows and spine in case of falls. Waist is ajustable and the diameter of the sleeves is adjustable. Short {6") zippers at the bottom of each side allows more room when you sit down.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

happyappygirl said:
Saw them at the LL Bean outlet on Kent Island...but i'm short, so i need the two way zip or it bunches up in front and the back of my but gets cold. :frown:

Since you have a small build maybe a child's size would work? Arms might end up being too short but the torso would be better sized for you.

fredsaid2

aps45819 said:
What are those?

Packets that come sealed, when you expose them to air they heat up. They're sold in all kinds of shapes now for feet, hands and bigger ones for your back. They last a surprisingly long time. Here's a link but you can get them at Wal-Mart.

Hot Hands

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
fredsaid2 said:
Packets that come sealed, when you expose them to air they heat up.
:yay:
OK, different name, but I used those new years day on our bike ride. Slid one into the back of each glove, hands stayed toasty all day, 170 miles running 65.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
fredsaid2 said:
What's your favorite winter riding gear? What have you found to be tried and true and what have you seen that looks like it would work?

Like most I've found the Warm Hands & Warm Toes are great. Really like the Boink riding tights w/ fleece inside and smooth material outside. Another nice item I found last year is the helmet beanie. It's fleece on the top, silky material on the sides, fits under most helmets and covers the ears.
Gerbings.. but where to plug it in?

Why is keeping warm on a horse so difficult.. NOT like you are going to be going 60 MPH or anything.. and don't they give off body heat??

Whimps I tell ya, horse riders are wimps..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
:yay:
OK, different name, but I used those new years day on our bike ride. Slid one into the back of each glove, hands stayed toasty all day, 170 miles running 65.
I wore my summer gloves and cranked up the handgrips!!

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
We live in MARYLAND.. we are SOUTH of the Arctic Circle AND the Mason Dixon Line.. it does NOT get that cold here.

Now when it gets 20 below, and there's three feet of snow on the ground, give me a call and I'll tell you how to keep warm!

:lmao:
As anyone who knows me will tell you... I don't have a problem with cold. (-20 is just getting nippy)

I was just offering a sure fire idea that will keep anyone warm.

Even those with water in their veins.