collapsible crab traps versus crap pots

S

Schizo

Dems... did that "heavy fish" make for some great turtle soup?!

D

dems4me

Schizo said:
Dems... did that "heavy fish" make for some great turtle soup?!

Yuck!!! No... he was cute though!!!! I was all excitted thinking it was a HUGE AZZ bass I was reeling in. :whack: I set the hook and started realing it in and it didn't put up much of a fight or didn't break the water which is characteristic of reeling in a bass :lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
Since there seems to be some confusion on the topic of recreational crabbers using crab pots, I have emailed the question to MD DNR. I will post their response when I get it.
No confusion at all, just one person that doesn't understand that to use the crab pot in Maryland you are going to be either a commercial fisherman or a waterfront property owner.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
No confusion at all, just one person that doesn't understand that to use the crab pot in Maryland you are going to be either a commercial fisherman or a waterfront property owner.

No, no... I heard recreational boaters can have 15 pots... just because its not listed Ken does not mean its unlawful :shrug: Just like the traps and handlines aren't listed for waterfront property owners... doesn't mean they are disobeying the law if they use them... it just means its not mentioned one way OR the other. :smile:

:shake: :shake: :shake: :bouncesofffloor: :shake::shake: :shake: :bluefluidsleakingnow: :shake: :shake: :shake:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
No, no... I heard recreational boaters can have 15 pots... just because its not listed Ken does not mean its unlawful :shrug: Just like the traps and handlines aren't listed for waterfront property owners... doesn't mean they are disobeying the law if they use them... it just means its not mentioned one way OR the other. :smile:

:shake: :shake: :shake: :bouncesofffloor: :shake::shake: :shake: :bluefluidsleakingnow: :shake: :shake: :shake:
You are being exceedingly dense on the matter. Read the material in the links provided above and you will see that it is only legal for a waterfront property owner to use the crap pots. If everyone had the ability they would say that they could be used and how many you could have. But you go on and believe what you want, set the 15 pots from your boat like you have heard is allowed and we'll see what the first DNR official does when they come across you.

D

dems4me

Ken King said:
You are being exceedingly dense on the matter. Read the material in the links provided above and you will see that it is only legal for a waterfront property owner to use the crap pots. If everyone had the ability they would say that they could be used and how many you could have. But you go on and believe what you want, set the 15 pots from your boat like you have heard is allowed and we'll see what the first DNR official does when they come across you.

Exeedingly dense? I prefer the term "exceedingly hopeful and optimistic" :roflmao: :smooch:

:shake: :shake: :shake:

:roflmao: :smooch: :huggy:

huntr1 said:
Since there seems to be some confusion on the topic of recreational crabbers using crab pots, I have emailed the question to MD DNR. I will post their response when I get it.
Huntr1 said:
Can licensed recreational crabbers use crab pots, or only
shoreline property owners?
Thanks,
Huntr

MD DNR said:
Hello Huntr,

Thank you for writing. Sorry but no, you can not use 'crab pots', those are restricted for commercial crabbers and waterfront property owners (2 pots each). You can use the collapsible traps, I know many people who use them and have success.

Good luck,
Paul Genovese
MD DNR Fisheries
Note the no Dems.
Any questions?

Last edited:
D

dems4me

huntr1 said:
Note the no Dems.
Any questions?

That's kind of what I was thinking but didn't want to hear... :lol: Thanks!!! At least now I know, plus they would take up too much room on the boat... we were doing handlines (actually using fishing poles) and caught two bushels this weekend, they were biting the bait faster than we can net them and drop them in.... huge one's too!!!! I got a female and a male that was 8 1/4 inch from tip to tip!!!!! Isn't the MD record 9 inches from tip to tip? All of them were packed and heavy and about 7 inches tip to tip. They were beyond the term "No. 1's" or "jumbos" I called these "Jurassic" crabs!!! :lol: either way had a blast. Definately good to know. Thanks!!!! I owe ya' some. :huggy: Thanks everyone else for the input!!! :huggy: